• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed ecodiesel

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks Brady & BoostN... I am in a world of hurt ...Up until last Wed, I would have told anyone the eco-diesel is one of the the best trucks on the market, and I am of the opinion and still do believe you can get the most bang for your bucks in a loaded out Ram (feature wise) as anything, but for all the eco-diesel owners out there that may not be having issues and was like me thinking they got one of the good ones (eco-diesel)... I hope that is true for you... I thought I had one of the good ones too, until earlier in the week, so pay careful attention to what people on forums like this are telling you.
In hindsight I was about a week late in finding this website, and then a couple of days slow in responding to the advise you guys were putting out about dumping my truck as soon as I could. But, I had 143K miles of nothing but great times in my truck and for that I am very thankful...I went back and checked and for all you eco owners out there I actually started noticing the knocking/tapping sound on 6/26,that is when I put some additive in to run thru thinking I was dealing with a clogged fuel injector and I just kept driving ( right at about 1,800 miles total ) hoping the knocking sound would go away...my engine blows on 7-13...all during this critical time I was thinking this would all pass and was not thinking the issue was as serious as it turned out to be and even went out and put all new tires all round on Monday, found this website Tuesday night, drove it Wed morning to work , made some sales calls that morning, take it to a dealership that afternoon to see about my trade value, get the bad news from dealership that motor is bad then foolishly drive off and 15 minutes later engine blows... My son keeps telling me that I have been drinking the Ram Cool-Aide for long enough now, and that it time to consider other options...we'll see...

So, what's your next step? Are you looking to swap out a new motor or?

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Probably the or route...cant afford the 15K for a new motor right now ...and just dont think I really want to put in a low mileage reconditioned one either, I have to try and find a dealer to buy it as is, and see how close to getting out from what is still owed... which is a lot ...I make my living in sales and I have a three state territory that I cover...I have been down now for two days working out of the home office, but I need to be back on the road come Monday in something if at all possible... "cut bait and move on" ... (use what you got to get more) as they say here in my part of Texas...
My back up plan is to put the farm truck (Sweet 08 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummings) into service ...getting freon added to a/c today...I know I wont be able to afford another truck as nice as the one I have right now, but it will be ok...The Bible tells us in Romans 8:28 "And we know all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose." This does not mean that everything that happens to us will always be good, but that God will still be there for us, working things out for our long range good...and I believe that !! Hey,I may actually take my sons advise and give one of the other brands a shot this time around, my last seven trucks have all been Dodge's and I got good service out of everyone of them including the eco diesel right up until it went down on Wed...we'll see !

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Probably the or route...cant afford the 15K for a new motor right now ...and just dont think I really want to put in a low mileage reconditioned one either, I have to try and find a dealer to buy it as is, and see how close to getting out from what is still owed... which is a lot ...I make my living in sales and I have a three state territory that I cover...I have been down now for two days working out of the home office, but I need to be back on the road come Monday in something if at all possible... "cut bait and move on" ... (use what you got to get more) as they say here in my part of Texas...
My back up plan is to put the farm truck (Sweet 08 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummings) into service ...getting freon added to a/c today...I know I wont be able to afford another truck as nice as the one I have right now, but it will be ok...The Bible tells us in Romans 8:28 "And we know all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose." This does not mean that everything that happens to us will always be good, but that God will still be there for us, working things out for our long range good...and I believe that !! Hey,I may actually take my sons advise and give one of the other brands a shot this time around, my last seven trucks have all been Dodge's and I got good service out of everyone of them including the eco diesel right up until it went down on Wed...we'll see !

I understand completely! It's nice you have another vehicle to use while this one is down.. keep us updated on what happens. I'm afraid a blown motor EcoDiesel is going to bring less than you think..

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Check out Car-Part.com

They sell parts from wrecks.. looks like they have a lot of complete engines.. ranges from 3000K to 8K.

upload_2017-7-14_16-2-44.png

Example, this looks like a decent price.. If you could find a mechanic to do the swap you'd be in better shape than selling as is.. my opinion though.

Good luck!

Helidriver

Jan 13, 2017
Truck Year
Check out Car-Part.com

They sell parts from wrecks.. looks like they have a lot of complete engines.. ranges from 3000K to 8K.

View attachment 1337

Example, this looks like a decent price.. If you could find a mechanic to do the swap you'd be in better shape than selling as is.. my opinion though.

Good luck!
Agreed [emoji1303]

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Check out Car-Part.com

View attachment 1337

Good luck!
Your assuming this is a good candid(s) for Replacement. .Otherwise Bigtex would be tids up again.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Your assuming this is a good candid(s) for Replacement. .Otherwise Bigtex would be tids up again.

Most of the time, you get a certain amount of warranty with these places. Even if it's 90 days, it gives him time to trade it off .. a running ( and not knocking ) truck is going to bring a lot more money.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I here Ya Boost.. But I've have talk to 2 Canadian owners 1 with 123K and the other 144k that's under 100K miles both denied Warranty replacements. Yes it would be worth more ...But again at what risk..and $$$$.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Well, I found a dealer who I feel like gave me a fair price for my 2014 Eco-Diesel considering the engine was toast, and I decided to go ahead and dive in and try to put a little professional grade in my life for the time being...I will check back periodically for status updates...

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Well, I found a dealer who I feel like gave me a fair price for my 2014 Eco-Diesel considering the engine was toast, and I decided to go ahead and dive in and try to put a little professional grade in my life for the time being...I will check back periodically for status updates...
So you got into another truck, a GMC? How much did you get out of the toasted Ram?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Brent

Jul 21, 2017
Truck Year
Ok. This sucks because I love my truck. Almost 70k I have put in it since I bought it with 24k. 2015 Bighorn. It has been in the shop non stop for multiple issues. But I have reached my end with it and Dodge. Since 30k I have been dealing with EGR's electronic Throttle Controls. I have had 3 EGr's replaced. A whole turbo. Heater core radiator. Water pump. Injectors. Multiple sensors. And now the dealer is telling me the diesel particulate filter is clogged 350% ? Oh and the exhaust temp sensor. The last egr has been on back order for 3 months. I finally raided hell with ram and they expedited it. Now they are telling me the rest is On me. Like $3500 for the filter. It is 91k truck and this all started at around 40k and they haven't been able to figure it out. Meanwhile I am back and forth to the dealership. I love the truck. Would love an egr delete it seems this is the issue with them.
Can anyone add any advice or what the hell to do.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Park it at the nearest Walmart. Leave it unlocked, windows down, and keys in it. And then hope like hell whoever steals it wrecks it. Problem solved.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Thanks Brady & BoostN... I am in a world of hurt ...Up until last Wed, I would have told anyone the eco-diesel is one of the the best trucks on the market, and I am of the opinion and still do believe you can get the most bang for your bucks in a loaded out Ram (feature wise) as anything, but for all the eco-diesel owners out there that may not be having issues and was like me thinking they got one of the good ones (eco-diesel)... I hope that is true for you... I thought I had one of the good ones too, until earlier in the week, so pay careful attention to what people on forums like this are telling you.
In hindsight I was about a week late in finding this website, and then a couple of days slow in responding to the advise you guys were putting out about dumping my truck as soon as I could. But, I had 143K miles of nothing but great times in my truck and for that I am very thankful...I went back and checked and for all you eco owners out there I actually started noticing the knocking/tapping sound on 6/26,that is when I put some additive in to run thru thinking I was dealing with a clogged fuel injector and I just kept driving ( right at about 1,800 miles total ) hoping the knocking sound would go away...my engine blows on 7-13...all during this critical time I was thinking this would all pass and was not thinking the issue was as serious as it turned out to be and even went out and put all new tires all round on Monday, found this website Tuesday night, drove it Wed morning to work , made some sales calls that morning, take it to a dealership that afternoon to see about my trade value, get the bad news from dealership that motor is bad then foolishly drive off and 15 minutes later engine blows... My son keeps telling me that I have been drinking the Ram Cool-Aide for long enough now, and that it time to consider other options...we'll see...
Shawn from Mopar ecodiesel (RIP) had his 14 ecodiesel fail at 144k because of a cam timing sprocket rotating and put thing out of timing. Yours sounds like it might be a rod or main bearing! Just my opinion but I feel the emissions system kills a diesels longevity. I bought my ecodiesel for a long term rig and will be ticked if it won't go 200k or more! PLEASE LET US KNOW what you find out on your engine !

KBM18

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
Good afternoon all,

I am new to this site, I own a 2015 larimine 4wd ecodiesel bought in August of 2015. At 38,000 miles I had a front left wheel bearing go. Was 2,000 over warranty for wheel bearings but since all my maintenance was done on time in dealership they put one in for no cost. I am now at 47,000 miles and it left me stranded on the side of the road. I believe the engine blew but won't know for sure till the dealership tears it down and gets back to me. I was traveling down the highway at 60 engine started knocking and shaking all temps and Pressure were normal no warning lights within a minute of the knocking engine shut down. More to follow, I have noticed as I have googled I have noticed that low mileage engine failures are becoming a little more common than not. I am not worried about this time around but in 53,000 miles I will be. My dealer offers a third party lifetime bumper to bumper warranty with Warranty Solutions for 2,700. If I keep this vehicle I will be purchasing this warranty for piece of mind which I don't have right now!!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good afternoon all,

I am new to this site, I own a 2015 larimine 4wd ecodiesel bought in August of 2015. At 38,000 miles I had a front left wheel bearing go. Was 2,000 over warranty for wheel bearings but since all my maintenance was done on time in dealership they put one in for no cost. I am now at 47,000 miles and it left me stranded on the side of the road. I believe the engine blew but won't know for sure till the dealership tears it down and gets back to me. I was traveling down the highway at 60 engine started knocking and shaking all temps and Pressure were normal no warning lights within a minute of the knocking engine shut down. More to follow, I have noticed as I have googled I have noticed that low mileage engine failures are becoming a little more common than not. I am not worried about this time around but in 53,000 miles I will be. My dealer offers a third party lifetime bumper to bumper warranty with Warranty Solutions for 2,700. If I keep this vehicle I will be purchasing this warranty for piece of mind which I don't have right now!!

Welcome, most likely you lost the motor. Which is not uncommon.. hopefully the dealer can you get a new one put in within a timely matter.

Since the dealer has done all of your maintenance, it should make the warranty process go smoother! So that's a plus.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Owners must remember that the OIL PSI is a switch, The oil temp and trans temp all live , But the oil temp is effected by it location the Oil exchanger is located near the Temp sensor for oil. I have placed additional oil temp and oil PSI in 2 different locations, the oil OE sensor reads 10-50* Hotter than the actual temp for 10-20 minutes of operation I rarely see My live oil temp gauge hit 190* . If owners want to avoid being stranded a live oil PSI gauge would likely give you advance warning, The OE Switch is 8 PSI before CEL so you could be driving for miles at 10-15psi before BOOM than CEL $$$$ . I was in IN June My live gauge read 0 PSI . I stopped check things out all was good.... When I returned back to the shop I removed the Sending unit, the feed hole was sludge shut. I bored the hole and all has been good, But this same sending unit is used on all My Diesels 5.9/6.7/8.3 , Duramax 6.6 trouble free for years, This ED has had impeccable service.

Attachments

• ED oil Gage1.jpg
    ED oil Gage1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 38
  • ED oil gage psi2.jpg
    ED oil gage psi2.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 40
  • 15 ECODIESEL-June17.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mr Duncan Care to share what lead up to the death blow? Puking?

KBM18

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
My 2015 ecodiesel just died at 34k miles!
Good afternoon all,

Good afternoon all,

Update on my truck. On Wednesday my dealership finished there assessment of my motor said I threw a bearing but nut sure what caused that, they said possibly the oil. My reply was what do you mean oil you do all the oil changes, there reply was the truck as built was required to have 5W30 oil and my first two oil change where with that between my second and third oil change Ram came out with an advisory changing the oil from 5W30 to 5 W40 which is what they have used for the last two oil changes. It took a week but Fiat/Chrysler got back to my dealership, they are going to replace the block and all internals valves valve cover and turbo. From what I am gathering everything but some bolt on auxiliaries will be brand new. More to follow s the Repair takes place. Dealership also told me that I won't get another 100,000 on the replaced motor it will still go by vehicle mileage. I find that odd?