• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FCA comment to my dealer on Engine failure

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
Ok, guys get this. I threw a weight on a wheel. Stopped in for a tire rotation and balance and an opportunity to look under the truck. My dealer lets me give her a once-over while on the rack. It is a very small dealer where customers still come first. I was chatting with the diesel tech again. He is a pretty straightforward guy that does not play typical dealership mechanic games. If it is not broken, he is not going to break it or tell you you need one just to make a sale. I was quizzing him on engine failures. He said, "FCA told us that the engine failures are due to customers changing their own oil and allowing dirt to fall in the filter hole." What a crock of bull! He does not buy into it either. He said it is the EGR crap getting in the oil and he has had four failures to swap in the past five years. Nothing we do not already know, but I thought I would share.

hizeey

Dec 22, 2022
Truck Year
Ok, guys get this. I threw a weight on a wheel. Stopped in for a tire rotation and balance and an opportunity to look under the truck. My dealer lets me give her a once-over while on the rack. It is a very small dealer where customers still come first. I was chatting with the diesel tech again. He is a pretty straightforward guy that does not play typical dealership mechanic games. If it is not broken, he is not going to break it or tell you you need one just to make a sale. I was quizzing him on engine failures. He said, "FCA told us that the engine failures are due to customers changing their own oil and allowing dirt to fall in the filter hole." What a crock of bull! He does not buy into it either. He said it is the EGR crap getting in the oil and he has had four failures to swap in the past five years. Nothing we do not already know, but I thought I would share.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
FCA told us that the engine failures are due to customers changing their own oil and allowing dirt to fall in the filter hole.

That's the most corporate answer by a bunch of people in suits if I've ever seen one. :ROFLMAO:

hizeey

Dec 22, 2022
Truck Year
I'm new, so bear with me, what is EGR

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
No worries, see below:
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and it is a system commonly used on diesel engines to reduce the formation of harmful emissions such as nitrogen oxides (NOx).

The EGR system works by recirculating a portion of the exhaust gases back into the engine's combustion chamber. By doing so, the EGR system reduces the concentration of oxygen in the air/fuel mixture that enters the engine, which in turn lowers the combustion temperature and reduces the formation of NOx.

The EGR system consists of several components, including an EGR valve, an EGR cooler, and associated sensors and controllers. The EGR valve controls the flow of exhaust gases into the engine, while the EGR cooler cools the recirculated exhaust gases before they are reintroduced into the engine.

Overall, the EGR system is an important part of modern diesel engines, as it helps to meet increasingly strict emissions regulations while still maintaining engine performance and fuel efficiency.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
In short, it is the worthless contraption bolted on the passenger side of the engine. It recirculates the spent exhaust back into the intake to be used again. So all the particles that should be coming out the tail pipe are getting into the engine oil.