• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FCA/EPA and Emissions Warranty Discussion

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Hi Dxxx

Apparently, there is still some confusion within FCA regarding the Federal emissions warranty

requirements for light duty diesels. I have been contacted by the owner of the following vehicle.

As you can see from the attached invoice, the Ram dealership attempted to charge him $4675.94

for a DPF replacement even though his vehicle is within the 8 year /80,000 mile Federal

emission warranty period (the dealer did charge him $122 for diagnostics). This customer also

stated that he contacted FCA directly and was told that the DPF was not cover by the emissions

warranty. Additionally he contacted several other Ram dealers and was consistently told that the

DPF was not a warranty item, in fact, the dealership showed him that the LOP was listed as "

non-warranty" in FCA's computer system.

As you can see in my e-mail below dated 4/22/15, EPA considers DPFs to be specified major

emission control components subject to the 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty. I understood your

response to me letter to indicate that FCA agreed with EPA and there was an error in the original

owner's manual for the Ram 1500 which would be corrected.

Please look into this case and let me know why this warranty claim was denied. Please confirm

if the FCA dealer computer system categorizes the DPF as a "non-warranty" item. Please also

let me know why the FCA customer service department staff told this customer that their DPF

was not covered.

Mr. Bxxx

Mr. Bxxx

Thank you so much for your help! I have contacted FCA multiple times via email and

once on the phone while with the service manager. The dealership cant complete the work

without getting compensated which I understand and the DPF is coming up on their screens as a

non-warranty item. During the call with FCA and the dealer it was explained that the LOP code

(dealer code in the Chrysler system) was coming up as a non-warranty and FCA stated then it

must not be covered then.

I have attached the invoice/documentation showing that the DPF has failed and that the charge is

$4,675.94. However, I would prefer to use another dealer that has been much more helpful to

me to do the work if it is indeed covered.

upload_2018-2-8_11-33-22.png

upload_2018-2-8_11-33-43.png

Hi Rxxx

wrote:

I wanted to get back with you with the regulation language I referred to on the phone when

we spoke. The point we discussed is that even when using the SRC, there is some risk that

the durability process could later be deemed to not be appropriately representative- for

example, because the operating conditions and control system behavior could be different in

the field than those demonstrated in the durability demonstration in a way that results in an

IUVP and/or field issues.

This note is not to grant any approval or disapproval for use of the SRC, but just to get you

the regulatory language we discussed. Also, regarding the ongoing certification of the diesel

in question, EPA and FCA and ARB may end up agreeing to some other path for various

other factors. The language below, of course, is a good basis for that discussion as well.

Hi Pxxxx
Thank you for following up with this customer. Do I understand correctly from your

previous note that both the warranty "code" in the dealership computer system and the

information that the Customer Care Center has regarding the warranty coverage of the diesel

vehicles was corrected on 12/16/16? Can you tell me how many customers had warranty claims

denied for SCR or DOC Catalysts or DPF repairs which were within the 8 year 80,000 mile warranty Period.

Xxxx
Light-Duty Vehicle Group

Compliance Division

United States Environmental Protection Agency

Jxxx

The issue was corrected on 12/16/16.

It was confined to the 2014 3.0L Ram 1500.

I'm working on refunding the customer the diagnostic fee they were inadvertently

Charged

Manager Emission Certification and Compliance. (FCA)

John

Nov 13, 2015
Can we possibly move the last post to a new thread titled emissions warranty or something similar as to not bring this spun bearing thread totally off topic.

The above post has nothing to do with engine failures and makes the current thread confusing to say the least.

TC, I'm looking forward to your reference of EPA vs. FCA spun bearing/engine failure.

Thanks again.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Can we possibly move the last post to a new thread titled emissions warranty or something similar as to not bring this spun bearing thread totally off topic.

The above post has nothing to do with engine failures and makes the current thread confusing to say the least.

TC, I'm looking forward to your reference of EPA vs. FCA spun bearing/engine failure.

Thanks again.

Done, thanks.

John

Nov 13, 2015
TC, Thanks for sharing the warranty information. It's very helpful to know that we have an extended emissions warranty. There has been some confusion in the past concerning the 2yr/24k warranty listed in the owners manual.

Best,

John