• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FCA insider document reveals current engine failure rate.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-long-block-68317977aa/?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1vaWwtcHVtcCZpPVQ0MzYwMzU0JnI9JmE9cmFtJm89MTUwMCZ5PTIwMTUmdD10cmFkZXNtYW4mZT0zLTBsLXY2LWRpZXNlbA==

Here is the long block link to moparparts.com.
$3,452 & 12k 12 month warranty
$350 shipping
$1,500 to 2k to swap including fluids testing ie out the door by a local diesel truck shop.
You realize we are only a year away from wrenching on these things in our garages, which was the point I tried to make above. Lifting a cab and doing a long block is not entirely out of the grasp for some guys.

My motor blows and Warranty won't pick it up? I'm not floating a 10-15k dealer service Bill. I'll send off the ecu, order an off road exhaust, a long block and get my hands dirty I suppose. It's still 5k out the door but a guy has to have saved that kinda change doing it himself

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I must have failed to clarify. I'm showing if a motor is out of warranty that you don't have to spend $10k at a Ram dealership. You can spend less than 6k to buy it, get it shipped to your local diesel shop, and have them do it. It's a two day job.

If you can do it yourself you just subtract the $1,500 to 2k estimate (which was using book hours) to do the swap. The long block price is what it is. And cheap for a Manufacturer built & warranted diesel IMO. If you want to pick it up you can subtract the shipping. Just sharing the where and how much for those interested in knowing.

Just for example say we have 2 percent fail from the first 3 year run by 100k covered by warranty and another 2 percent fail by 150k. If you are in that unlucky 2 percent you can see what it should cost you to get a new motor in your 150,000 mile truck.

My ED has 341,000 transporting TTs & boats. Motor has never been apart. Most should last well beyond warranty but one should know what his financial risk is to drive it beyond the 100 or 120k extended warranty.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
My ED has 341,000 transporting TTs & boats. Motor has never been apart. Most should last well beyond warranty but one should know what his financial risk is to drive it beyond the 100 or 120k extended warranty.

That's awesome @VernDiesel. I think your our highest mileage owner here.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I must have failed to clarify. I'm showing if a motor is out of warranty that you don't have to spend $10k at a Ram dealership. You can spend less than 6k to buy it, get it shipped to your local diesel shop, and have them do it. It's a two day job.

If you can do it yourself you just subtract the $1,500 to 2k estimate (which was using book hours) to do the swap. The long block price is what it is. And cheap for a Manufacturer built & warranted diesel IMO. If you want to pick it up you can subtract the shipping. Just sharing the where and how much for those interested in knowing.

Just for example say we have 2 percent fail from the first 3 year run by 100k covered by warranty and another 2 percent fail by 150k. If you are in that unlucky 2 percent you can see what it should cost you to get a new motor in your 150,000 mile truck.

Holy shit 341,000 miles?!

I thought about contracting for the travel Trailer transports but around here they're 100% requiring a 2500 or better with 27k gvw endorsement. So no dice

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
After committing the huge amount of money to this truck, I'll go the route Vern & JD are talking about, should something go awry after the 1st 100k. I will not buy another new one for a long, long time. Always had high mileage GMs that I kept running. As long as the body doesn't rot off this one, I'll do the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
Great thread. A lot of sensible replies to chicken-little sky is falling proclamations.

I don't know if that demand sheet means anything. Firstly, the supply chain may not operate the same, and cummins engine warranty replacements may not be captured on that sheet. There is also no information about demand in regards to warranty/manufacturing defect or something else - mis-fueling etc. And it is very possible that some of these sales are not for replacements but for retrofits, people putting this engine into other things, especially since it is such a bargain.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
TC what do you mean when you say 'Removes Motor fines 2 underside main bearings'? Out of spec?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
TC what do you mean when you say 'Removes Motor fines 2 underside main bearings'? Out of spec?

O.... that happens on my IE at some forums, What happen was , I went to KY 2323 miles for a truck Pull and when I got back I pulled a OA and the wear-tri-metals were 280/303/190 So I lifted the cab and pulled the motor , and found 2 under size bearings. and the poor TQ.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

Is your ED completely stock? Has your maintenance been extraordinary or just routine. Thanks in advance for your reply!

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
It only has a GDE tune. Routine maintenance. Oil every 15k post warranty with OAs. Fuel filter every other oil change. Air filters as needed. Pan drop & filter every 100k on the transmission. Differentials & transfer case at the same time. Did serpentine belt at 250K as preventive as it was getting dry feeling. Truck went through glow plug & lift pump. Got a simple 2 button Bosch code reader/clearer to avoid unnecessary tows/limp home modes so that I can get issues resolved when it's convenient to me. Lots of tires. Brakes at 293,000 in part due to trailer brake controller & the tune's turbo brake.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
It only has a GDE tune. Routine maintenance. Oil every 15k post warranty with OAs. Fuel filter every other oil change. Air filters as needed. Pan drop & filter every 100k on the transmission. Differentials & transfer case at the same time. Did serpentine belt at 250K as preventive as it was getting dry feeling. Truck went through glow plug & lift pump. Got a simple 2 button Bosch code reader/clearer to avoid unnecessary tows/limp home modes so that I can get issues resolved when it's convenient to me. Lots of tires. Brakes at 293,000 in part due to trailer brake controller & the tune's turbo brake.

Impressive!! That's some good news around here for a change.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yep, that is good to hear.
OA appears to be a must with these engines and a common theme amongst long lived 3.0's. Got all my stuff to send my first one in to Blackstone this week.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Almost 300k on brakes is equally impressive

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Having drove big truck & now towing TTs you get in the habit of coasting toward a stop as is reasonable. Lol Lil different than I did with cars as a teenager. And no I am not a slow driver self employed I am always aware of time consumption. Between properly but taking advantage of the trailer brake controller plus my tune's software driven turbo brake for speed control when decending a grade, I think 300,000 miles on brake pads shouldn't be that out of the norm. Worst of the four brake sets still had 25 percent wear left when the driver rear had one pad crumble.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
We all know it's a problem, and numbers don't lie!

I was a lucky one I guess.
I talk to every Ecodiesel owner I get a chance to and never a complaint. I spun a rep onto one a few years ago and he has well over A 100k on his and not an issue. I’m sure there are some issues like ANY engine but overall they seem solid. Modifications, care, driving habits, environment and maintenance are all relevant. I want to get a monitor like edge or Idash to monitor egt boost and regens better!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I talk to every Ecodiesel owner I get a chance to and never a complaint. I spun a rep onto one a few years ago and he has well over A 100k on his and not an issue. I’m sure there are some issues like ANY engine but overall they seem solid. Modifications, care, driving habits, environment and maintenance are all relevant. I want to get a monitor like edge or Idash to monitor egt boost and regens better!

Agreed. Most owners don't have any problems.. Like I've said before, forums attract a lot of attention from owners that aren't happy because it gives them an outlet to express those feelings.. I don't blame them though.