• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

First issue with my Ecodiesel

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
I went camping this past weekend to Santa Cruz and ran into the first issue with my Ecodiesel. It's a 2015 but I bought it off the lot in April this year with less than 100 miles. It now has over 10,000 miles and this past Labor Day weekend (at 10,700 miles) it wouldn't start in the mornings. No issues when driving there and my trailer is under 4,000 pounds.

We got up Saturday morning to run into town and didn't have any issues whatsoever. Sunday morning we go up to go back into town and it was slow cranking over, almost like the battery was dead / dying. After about 4 tries it kicked over and started up but it was a struggle to start. Same thing Monday morning when we went to leave.

Once it was running everything seemed fine, the only thing that was different was a low tire pressure light but after filling the tire up the light went away. Also the time on my clock was off about 2 hours but all radio stations were still set to normal.

I was curious to see if it would struggle this morning (at home in Sacramento) but it fired right up with no problems. I understand that cold temps could effect the cranking over but in Santa Cruz this weekend it didn't get below 50* at night...

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds like you may have a weak battery or a failing starter. But either way it needs tested correctly to confirm.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds like you may have a weak battery or a failing starter. But either way it needs tested correctly to confirm.
Battery was my thought. When I bought the truck in April it wouldn't start for a test drive and they had to use a jumper box. They said it was because it was sitting on the lot for a year, I asked for them to install a new battery but they insisted it was fine. I'll get it tested and if its failing after just 5 months the dealership will be hearing from me about it.

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Any update on this ? Bad diesel ? (water condensation)
Still haven't nailed anything down. I took my truck to the dealership where I bought it and they "ran their tests" and the battery passed. Had no issues for about a week then I left for a 12 day work trip and after 5 days my girlfriend went to drive my truck and it was 100% dead, wouldn't even crank over. So she jumped it and took it in to the dealership. It sat for 5 days at the dealership and they "ran their tests" again and showed no issues but still installed a new battery for me and I just picked it back up today. Time will tell...

StevenB

Mar 30, 2016
Truck Year
Since the new battery was put in the truck seems to be running fine. Quick start ups in the early mornings and seemingly no more issues. Had to've been that battery

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
it's crazy to see what issues a "good" battery can cause, I never trust the dang testers, makes diagnosing a bad battery hard to explain. I had a 2012 duramax with complete fuel system failure at 6,500 miles, needless to say it sat in the shop quite a while, got it back and everything seemed fine, didn't start slow, then a couple months later it was -20 or so and it wouldn't crank. Batteries tested good, I wasn't a butt to the service people, but I asked for new batteries and they obliged and it started like a champ from then on out.