• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

first oil change

Jerry

Mar 2, 2016
Truck Year
Just wondering. My 2016 ecodiesel Longhorn has 2000 miles on it. When do people think it best to change the oil for the first time? I have been told under 2000 miles to no issues go to 7000. Suggestions?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
10000 miles is perfectly fine. Lots and lots of posted oil analysis done to support such intervals as FCA has recommended. However, some people feel the need to change sooner. Or at least change the oil filter. Up to your discretion. I did neither before 9800miles and all is well so far. But I'm neither an engineer nor mechanic, so take that what it's worth.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Some do the first change at 3000 miles, to catch any remaining new particles. I would like to see a oil analysis done at 3000 to see what it says.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I plan on having my first one done around 6000 miles. I drive a lot of shorter trips and do some light towing. I believe the "oil life " indicator on the eco diesel uses engine revolutions to calculate oil life. Someone may correct me n this.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
OLM (indicator) is based solely on a 10000 mile countdown from reset.

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
It's pretty amazing what the different dealers know or tell you. I bought the truck from a city dealer that I don't think knows a lot about the Ecodiesel. Their mechanic told me the power is turned down 10% for the first 20 or 30,000 so you can't horse the engine. The servicing dealer out here in the sticks of Western New York state where I live wasn't sure but thought it could be. This dealer seems to have much more knowledge of the truck. I know they had several on the lot where where I bought it had to get it from elsewhere.

Thanks for the info on the oil change. I think I will go about 3000. The first one is a freebe from the dealer anyway.

tcharger67

Jun 11, 2016
Truck Year
hey guys new member and I know this is an old thread, but my dealership left an amendment slip on my dash when I purchased it.... it clearly states, first oil change is at 5000km or 12 months from date of purchase... whichever comes first

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
That sounds like a hemi reminder left by the dealer but who knows? I went 7-8k on my factory fill oil without issue. 31k now and 4 changes later still operating great

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
That sounds like a hemi reminder left by the dealer but who knows? I went 7-8k on my factory fill oil without issue. 31k now and 4 changes later still operating great

Ditto. First one was at 7500 and second at 17,500. 23K now and no issues. Maintaining 10K intervals here on out.

roydake

Jun 24, 2016
Truck Year
It's really informative as to how the first oil change item is being covered here....reading this info avidly...as I've only just purchased the truck and have little or no discussion with the dealership (that I purchased from) on maintenance items...ie a basic service such as an oil change..due to the fact that I am over 300kms away...However, Chrysler Canada (?) does permit me to have warranty coverage coast to coast. One of the local dealers will, I am sure, see my shadow darken his doorway one of these days soon..LOL
These discussions have given this old guy some great parameters as far as mileage intervals go...
thanks
roydake