• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Folding Bed Cover or Shell?

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
Hey Guys,

Besides the obvious, I would like to know what the pros & cons are, or perhaps what drove you to buy or consider a folding bed cover or a shell. I haven't decided yet, but I do know that I do want to have the bed covered somehow. Let me know what your thoughts and/or experiences have been like with either.

Keep On Truckin!

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014
Basically a lot comes down to looks. I personally like the look of the soft cover (folding)...also if you haul something large in the bed you can fold it away where as a shell your limited to that amount of space once it's up.

David Reighn

Oct 21, 2014
Truck Year
Hey Guys,

Besides the obvious, I would like to know what the pros & cons are, or perhaps what drove you to buy or consider a folding bed cover or a shell. I haven't decided yet, but I do know that I do want to have the bed covered somehow. Let me know what your thoughts and/or experiences have been like with either.

Keep On Truckin!

David Reighn

Oct 21, 2014
Truck Year
To All,

A pickup truck is made for the purpose of hauling things. A hard cover looks nice and last forever. A soft tonneau looks good, cheap ones and poor installation lead to leaks. Good product quality, care and a professional installation will provide a good experience. Make sure that you get one that's lockable such that you will have some security for the items in your truck bed. The serious thieves will get in no matter what bed cover you get. Dave

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
My wife & I are zeroing in on a SnugTop ExtraVision shell. We like to take our dog with us in his crate, and the back seats are used by the kids, so he must go in the bed, and using a folding cover doesn't make sense. Assuming all things being equal between shell cap manufacturers, is that the snug top has a curved molded trim piece on the bottom of the flip up glass that mates perfectly with the curved top of the Ram's tailgate. Also looked at Leer, but if anyone has any additional comments, complaints or things to consider, please let us know. Thanks!

David Reighn

Oct 21, 2014
Truck Year
I had a hardcover on my last 2005 Ram, it was good. But this time around I got the Truxedo Tru Sport roll up. I really like it due to its versatility. I would be concerned that a dog under a hard cover may not get enough air circulation.

Check out the website for Truxedo

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
Will have sliding windows with reinforced dog screens. Also perused Truxedo, and if I was going for a tonneau cover, these guys would definitely be in the running. I like how everything is thought through.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
For what it's worth everyone, I have put this to rest. I have chosen a SnugTop cap / shell. Very happy with it. Figured out that we want to take the dog w/us often (around town he is harnessed in to the tie downs, and for trips he will be crated). Also when we go camping with our family of five, not everything would fit under tonneau, so shell it is! Will post pictures and provide more detail after Easter.

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Purchased a shell from Softtopper. It was extremely easy to order, came via UPS, and installed in minutes with my 12 year old son. Purchsed the front window option and replacement screens for the front and rear of the top. Less than half of the price of a hard shell, easier, to fold up or remove if I need to. At the time I was looking, Bestop did not offer one for the 2014 Ram Crew with 5.5 ft bed.