• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel filter heater.... Winter Additives?

jones_19

Sep 12, 2015
Truck Year
I've just purchased a '15 ED and was going thru the manual.
They all have the block heater (120 vAC)and the manual states that there is a fuel filter housing heater (12v) to help prevent gelling. Just wondering if anyone knows exactly how it works?
I live in eastern canada so the temps can reach -30 celsius pretty regularly.
Just wondering if there is any use in using additives in the winter (ex: PS diesel fuel supplement) besides peace of mind?

Thanks

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
If you buy Shell V-Power, you don't need to add additives. It about 8c a litre higher, so that will cost you about 8.00 or less on a fill up. I decided to try it myself, and I'm on my second tank of Shell V-Power Diesel. Seems to improve over all. Too soon to judge, but nothing negative and positive feeling towards it. See the Shell site for details and video link that I have posted on this forum.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I just filled up on my third tankful of Shell V-Power, about 1/4 tank left on my previous fill, I notice a sudden big difference. Peppier, smoother and shifting seems to be even more responsive. It feels like a different truck, as if I can drag race with it. LOL.

It makes sense, it would take a few tankfuls or so to clean out the engine. So far, I notice a bigger difference and with the cheap fuel prices, I will continue to fill-up with Shell V-Power. The difference is 8c a litre, and add another up to 5c a litre for the cheapest diesel in town. That about 8.00 to 12.00 per tank.

I'm heading toward, 20,000 KM and all is well. My truck isn't heavy on DEF, down to about 1/4 and only filled up once since I bought the truck. Love the tires, the KO2. I can imagine how well it would work, if the truck was front wheel drive. With the 4x4 on, it sticks to the ground on slippery stuff.

Nothing negative but positive to say so far.