• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gatortrax One MX - One person install

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I wanted to show you a one person install of the Gatortrax/Retrax cover. I'm 62, 5'4 and full figured and also have a bad disk so if I can do this just about anyone can.

My total install time was 30 minutes excluding the drains and the unboxing. I just had to take a break before doing the drains which I am going to put through the front of the box. I will add pics in awhile when I finish that.

My idea was to lay the cannister on the bed of the truck on some boxes I had which would allow me to attach the rails while the canister is in the bed. Instructions and videos all have you doing this work on the ground tna then with two people, lifting the assembly on the truck.

This first pic is of the canister sitting on the boxes (you only need it sticking up over the bed rails couple of inches) with the rails laying on either side awaiting install. You can click on all these pics to make them bigger.

gatortrax1.JPG

This pic is of all the mounting hardware...that's utm just 6 screws and the 4 clamps. Allen tools are included.

gatortrax2.JPG

Here you see the rails attached per instructions. My step stool was too wobbly for me to do the initial insertion of the cover into the rails from the ground so I did that from in the bed but then I stood on the ground and attached the rails to the canister with two screws each side.

gatortrax3.JPG

Just a shot of the rails attached to the canister.

gatortrax4.JPG

This is a pic of the front cover attached. The assembly is still sitting on the boxes at this point.

gatortrax5.JPG

Next I simply slid the boxes out from under the canister one at a time and lowered it to the bed. Clamped it...no adjustments necessary.

gatortrax7.JPG

I ran the drains out the front plugs even though it caused me to drill through my liner and bed plug but I did not want the water draining into the wheel well above the plastic fender wells, which is where it would have gone if I shoved the drains into the eye holes.

gatortrax8.JPG

Here you can see the clear drain hose draining between the cab and the bed.

gatortrax9.JPG

This is the cover installed, I bought the matt finish and I'm glad I did, looks great!

It really was an easy install for one person...the most difficult part was bringing the canister box out from my barn where I had Fedex drop it off to the truck. I did that with a hand truck and just flipped it onto the bed. I did all unpacking on the bed.

gatortrax6.JPG

John

Nov 13, 2015
Nice job and thanks for the detailed write-up. Looks GREAT.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks, I'm already enjoying the cover.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Very nice Bill. That's a clean looking cover & install.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
That looks great...will probably get one this year along with some amp steps

Jeo

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Great looking cover, thanks for all the details.