• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GDE tune 4 month, 5000 mile review

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
I got the GDE tune in late January. I was pleased and impressed to begin with but wanted to see how it acted over a wide range of conditions before forming or reporting on any broader impressions.

I've run the truck in conditions between -20F and +95F since installing the GDE; that's a wider range than the conditions encountered between buying the truck in early November and installing the GDE, but I am glad to say that it starts and runs well with the GDE in that full range of temperatures. Didn't get a winter front until well into the winter, and the GDE did well even before the winter front.

Fuel mileage: With the truck bone stock, I got as high as 28.5 mpg under "just right" conditions, but only a very narrow range of "just right" conditions would allow that- floating along at about 55-60 over terrain without hills. Bone stock, and living in a very hilly area (Vermont) the fuel mileage (stock) sank as low as high teens in mixed driving on winter fuel in cold weather- which was discouraging. Relatively few operating conditions of my regular driving really seemed to fully 'deliver' (before installign the GDE) on the MPG I had hoped for with the Ecodiesel.

After the GDE- comparing "apples to apples" of similar driving, similar terrain, similar weather, I am consistently getting at least 3-4 MPG better than stock, every tank, hand calculated.To my surprise, the computer's MPG readout is usually close to rounding error similar to hand calculated MPG. I am getting a solid 24-25 in mixed local to mid distance running in hilly terrain, over a wide range of temperatures, and it's getting better as the weather is warming. Got almost 28 on a trip over the weekend and it would have held much higher if that trip hadn't included trips over two significant mountains on both the trip out and the trip home.

With the GDE, the truck upshifts sooner and better and holds FAR gears better (than stock) in the hilly conditions in which I usually find myself.

Cruise control with the GDE is VASTLY improved for my driving conditions. Stock c/c over-revved and hunted a lot in the hilly driving that's unavoidable where I drive. GDE's settings allow the truck to behave uncannily well even in very hilly terrain.The post-GDE cruise control is the only cruise control that I have had in any vehicle where the cruise can dramatically beat my own efforts to drive for max MPG.

Did the GDE transform my Ecodiesel into a firebreather? No. But for what I want out of this truck, it has really 'dialed it in' to much closer to what I've hoped the truck could be. The truck does have a pleasantly though not radically "upped" "get up and go." My goals are economy and longevity and I am extremely pleased with what the GDE delivers for my needs for those purposes. I think my results are affected by the fact that the terrain where I live 'works' the truck a lot more than many people would encounter- but that also speaks well to what the GDE can probably do for people who are going to 'work' their truck for hauling.

kd1yt

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
Can a moderator please correct my typo-ed thread title from "GED" to "GDE" ? thanks!

KC Sauce

Jul 11, 2016
Truck Year
Done.

It seems everyone has nothing but good things to say about them. Great review, thanks for sharing!

Good review, but please spell out your abbreviation, GDE at least once early on in your post so everyone is not left wondering. Thank you!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good review, but please spell out your abbreviation, GDE at least once early on in your post so everyone is not left wondering. Thank you!

Green Diesel Engineering is "GDE". Good observation and thanks for joining the community!

Ahaynes81

Jan 2, 2019
Truck Year
I got the GDE tune in late January. I was pleased and impressed to begin with but wanted to see how it acted over a wide range of conditions before forming or reporting on any broader impressions.

I've run the truck in conditions between -20F and +95F since installing the GDE; that's a wider range than the conditions encountered between buying the truck in early November and installing the GDE, but I am glad to say that it starts and runs well with the GDE in that full range of temperatures. Didn't get a winter front until well into the winter, and the GDE did well even before the winter front.

Fuel mileage: With the truck bone stock, I got as high as 28.5 mpg under "just right" conditions, but only a very narrow range of "just right" conditions would allow that- floating along at about 55-60 over terrain without hills. Bone stock, and living in a very hilly area (Vermont) the fuel mileage (stock) sank as low as high teens in mixed driving on winter fuel in cold weather- which was discouraging. Relatively few operating conditions of my regular driving really seemed to fully 'deliver' (before installign the GDE) on the MPG I had hoped for with the Ecodiesel.

After the GDE- comparing "apples to apples" of similar driving, similar terrain, similar weather, I am consistently getting at least 3-4 MPG better than stock, every tank, hand calculated.To my surprise, the computer's MPG readout is usually close to rounding error similar to hand calculated MPG. I am getting a solid 24-25 in mixed local to mid distance running in hilly terrain, over a wide range of temperatures, and it's getting better as the weather is warming. Got almost 28 on a trip over the weekend and it would have held much higher if that trip hadn't included trips over two significant mountains on both the trip out and the trip home.

With the GDE, the truck upshifts sooner and better and holds FAR gears better (than stock) in the hilly conditions in which I usually find myself.

Cruise control with the GDE is VASTLY improved for my driving conditions. Stock c/c over-revved and hunted a lot in the hilly driving that's unavoidable where I drive. GDE's settings allow the truck to behave uncannily well even in very hilly terrain.The post-GDE cruise control is the only cruise control that I have had in any vehicle where the cruise can dramatically beat my own efforts to drive for max MPG.

Did the GDE transform my Ecodiesel into a firebreather? No. But for what I want out of this truck, it has really 'dialed it in' to much closer to what I've hoped the truck could be. The truck does have a pleasantly though not radically "upped" "get up and go." My goals are economy and longevity and I am extremely pleased with what the GDE delivers for my needs for those purposes. I think my results are affected by the fact that the terrain where I live 'works' the truck a lot more than many people would encounter- but that also speaks well to what the GDE can probably do for people who are going to 'work' their truck for hauling.

I'm thinking of getting the gde tune and was curious what tune options did you go with? I'm leaning towards the engine brake and high idle

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
I just ordered my GDE tune. Thought about going with high idle but decided against it. I’ll just plug my truck in when it’s cold enough. And the engine braking just feels like it couldn’t be that much for me to actually wear out my brakes. Felt like it wasn’t gonna be worth it. Especially if I can’t shut it off when I want.

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Late to this thread, but I love having the engine breaks. I go up and down steep canyons several times in any given week. Living just outside of Salt Lake City. I stick it in tow/haul mode, no brakes necessary.

Phil hearn

Dec 30, 2021
Truck Year

What is total cost of GDE