• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

General information,request.

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
Picked up new eco diesel longhorn Thursday night. Took it on 450 mile round trip on new York state thruway. First half cruise set at 73 got 24.5. Second half at 65,got 27.1. I understand engine during,break in is programed 10% less than full power. What can I expect when it is broken in?
Also, oil pressure was about 36 psi rpms about 1800. Does that agree with other peoples results? Oil psi Seems low to me. We have 6000 travel trailer to tow
What,do,other people get towing something like that?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'd expect, just guessing, 16-18mpgs towing said TT. Although, that number is purely speculative, based on reading others posts, and subject to a plethora of driving conditions.

Oil pressure seems within specs.

Welcome to to the site!

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Never heard about the 10% less power. Owners manual say no break in. Now you got me confused.

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
I only know what the head mechanic at the dealership told me. I was grilling him for information on the engine. The engine is programmed down 10% for the first 2000 to 3000 miles so you can't push the it for all it is worth until after that. Most people don't even notice. I would assume he knows what he is talking about but then you know what assume means. Sure seems like it has plenty of giddy up now.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
First I've heard of that. If true, I didn't notice a difference.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the site @Jerry Hefley !

Congrats on your new EcoDiesel, as far as the reduction of engine power for the first few thousand miles.. That's the first I've heard of that, but I'm not a Ram Engineer to say yes or no to the theory.

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
I realize I only have 2000 miles on the rig but I am blown away. I went from a 5.7 to the eco. Good heavens. I can live with 28 mpg. I have been reading these posts about people putting a "tune" on the engine. That is not going to happen on my machine. Fiat and Ram went to a lot of trouble and research to develop this engine for the American market. They have used the last couple of years to iron out the bugs. I think they that do the tune are just asking for trouble. I read a saying the other day, " the Ram Eco diesel is made to haul, The Ram 5.7 is made to haul ass." If you wanted a hot rod you should have stuck with the 5.7. It is a heck of an engine for raw power. But I bought this to haul a 6000 lbs travel trailer over long distances. Not in that big a hurry and I will trust the people that designed the thing. Again, if you didn't want it to slow down on the hills you should have stuck with the 5.7. This is one owner that is absolutely tickled with his truck.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
My oil pressure is very constant at mid range of the gauge. Unfortunately, my readout is in metric. When cold it climbs a little, never saw it drop below 1/2 scale.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
I realize I only have 2000 miles on the rig but I am blown away. I went from a 5.7 to the eco. Good heavens. I can live with 28 mpg. I have been reading these posts about people putting a "tune" on the engine. That is not going to happen on my machine. Fiat and Ram went to a lot of trouble and research to develop this engine for the American market. They have used the last couple of years to iron out the bugs. I think they that do the tune are just asking for trouble. I read a saying the other day, " the Ram Eco diesel is made to haul, The Ram 5.7 is made to haul ass." If you wanted a hot rod you should have stuck with the 5.7. It is a heck of an engine for raw power. But I bought this to haul a 6000 lbs travel trailer over long distances. Not in that big a hurry and I will trust the people that designed the thing. Again, if you didn't want it to slow down on the hills you should have stuck with the 5.7. This is one owner that is absolutely tickled with his truck.
Although I also have no intention of "running a tune" on my truck, I can also relate to those who want to increase/improve performance from their own engines. More power to them (haha). They are grown adults who know the risks of potentially impacting their warranties, and felt the risk was worth it.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Okay, my oil is good, posted a second test for oil testing. All good.

I tow 6000 lbs with my trailer, in the rockies, nation parks, Banff, Yoho, Kooteny, Jasper, etc. Some steep hills and some area have wind tunnels.

Normally not an issue, very comfortable to haul, don't even notice the trailer much. However, as mention in other threads, I do have a concern when pushing on the hills, the EGT 1 and EGT 2 will peak 1500 degrees F. I back off when my Edge Monitor give me the alarm. Just don't know if that normal or okay.

This summer, I be watching the oil temperatures, which I really didn't watch carefully, also have alarm set for 240 F, just in case. I be curious to see, how the Shell V-Power Diesel makes a difference or not. It seems to make a big improvement by the time I finish the second tank. I'm on the fourth tank now and over 21,000 KM (metric).

As for tunes, unless you like to fix your own truck, and willing to take the risk, well, it is your money. As for me, I wouldn't consider deletes or tuners, while under warranty. Monitors are okay with FCA.

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
Okay, my oil is good, posted a second test for oil testing. All good.

I tow 6000 lbs with my trailer, in the rockies, nation parks, Banff, Yoho, Kooteny, Jasper, etc. Some steep hills and some area have wind tunnels.

Normally not an issue, very comfortable to haul, don't even notice the trailer much. However, as mention in other threads, I do have a concern when pushing on the hills, the EGT 1 and EGT 2 will peak 1500 degrees F. I back off when my Edge Monitor give me the alarm. Just don't know if that normal or okay.

This summer, I be watching the oil temperatures, which I really didn't watch carefully, also have alarm set for 240 F, just in case. I be curious to see, how the Shell V-Power Diesel makes a difference or not. It seems to make a big improvement by the time I finish the second tank. I'm on the fourth tank now and over 21,000 KM (metric).

As for tunes, unless you like to fix your own truck, and willing to take the risk, well, it is your money. As for me, I wouldn't consider deletes or tuners, while under warranty. Monitors are okay with FCA.

Seiko....have you looked into a SNOW Performance water/methanol injection system, supposed to knock the EGT's down a couple hundred degrees and it doesn't affect your warranty.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
nada! Not into that....