• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello All. Got hooked by Shawn's videos...

TXJon

Oct 14, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I am retiring in 18 months and while googling for a decent truck to pull a camper to the State Parks, [thinking Glacier National Park, etc] I became hooked on Shawn's videos! Am asking my local Ram dealer about the Ecodiesel and the klutz is clueless....kept showing me gasoline engine 1500's.... Perhaps AutoTracer.com?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yes autotrader should locate EcoD's near you to inspect and drive.

Welcome to the forum. If you have questions just ask.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for the compliment, some basic guidelines for the ram truck, any trailer up to 7000lbs the ed will handle your trailer like a champ and you won't be overburdening it and it will give you great mileage. Just install a set of timbren ses $200 and your 2 minutes to install and your trailer ready. If your trailer is between 7000 to 13000lbs go with the hemi. If your trailer is over 13k go with the Cummins. I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've been without it for 1 week and I'm going through withdrawals.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Glad to have you here...Shawn is definitely the guy in the know on the ecodiesels he has more miles and hours than probably anyone in the nation and lucky for us is very in tune with what flaws they may have.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm sorry, I have to start all over from scratch. My engine has failed at 148,000 miles. Something internal is really loud however the oil sample I just sent off was cleaner than it has been in 100k. It's very disappointing as I was quoted $30,000 just for the entire engine assembly. None of the dealers or shops want to transfer over any old parts. They want everything new. I cannot do that every year. I'll have to go back to a gm gas truck. Sorry I've run out of passion.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I'm sorry, I have to start all over from scratch. My engine has failed at 148,000 miles. Something internal is really loud however the oil sample I just sent off was cleaner than it has been in 100k. It's very disappointing as I was quoted $30,000 just for the entire engine assembly. None of the dealers or shops want to transfer over any old parts. They want everything new. I cannot do that every year. I'll have to go back to a gm gas truck. Sorry I've run out of passion.
That's a really sad post.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Very sad to hear. I made the purchase of my ED 90% based on the information from you Shawn. It's been a pleasure learning from your experiences.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well as it goes, I hope nobody follows any procedures or recommendations I've made toward maintenance as I results in catastrophic failure. Except the egr and oil injestion problem. I definetely will be doing my little egr mod and ccv kit on my new engine. But on my new engine I will not be exceeding 6000 miles on my oil changes, I will not be exceeding 12000 miles on my fuel filter changes and I will not ever use the euro crap oil. But everything else I will be doing the same. As for tuning, that's a no no. Adds too much stress to the wrist pins. They cannot handle it. Oh well you learn from the past and move on.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Shawn, Did you ever do the GDE tune on your truck?

And did you ever use the Champion SynGold oil in your truck? That's what I went with..

And were the any issues using the oil filters from Auto parts Superstore? I'm following suit with that with the exception that I was the one that noticed the slight size deviation (you were contacted in lou of this).

Just wondering what you attribute the problem to be. I'm trying to keep my oil changes between 6-8 as you acknowledged oil deterioration after 8k

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Nope I always sampled the oil every oil change. There's never been any difference in my oil samples with the different filters. I wouldn't mess with that and I would tell everyone if I saw a problem. The crappiest oil I've used was the pennzoil euro and liqui moly tec 4200. I'll go over my oil samples in a video.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Did you at any point use the champion syngold? I don't recall ever seeing it