• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello

Rampage Roommate

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
Hi all. I recently bought a new 2017 Bighorn ecodiesel and this is the first diesel I've ever owned. I usually do some minor maintenance on my vehicles but since I know nothing about working on diesel motors I'm sure I'll be relying on this group for a lot of advice.
In fact, I have a question already. I've only driven the truck 3,384 miles and it's telling me that my oil still has 67% of its life left but I decided to check the oil anyway today. It was black, and I mean black. Is that normal for a diesel? If that were a gas engine I'd think that it was way overdue for a change. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Jeff

lucskoj

Jun 27, 2015
Hi all. I recently bought a new 2017 Bighorn ecodiesel and this is the first diesel I've ever owned. I usually do some minor maintenance on my vehicles but since I know nothing about working on diesel motors I'm sure I'll be relying on this group for a lot of advice.
In fact, I have a question already. I've only driven the truck 3,384 miles and it's telling me that my oil still has 67% of its life left but I decided to check the oil anyway today. It was black, and I mean black. Is that normal for a diesel? If that were a gas engine I'd think that it was way overdue for a change. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Jeff
Totally normal for a diesel. With the EGR dumping exhaust back into the intake manifold your new oil will be black after a few hundred miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampage Roommate

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks. I was hoping it was something like that.

Rampage Roommate

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks BoostN. Your name just reminded me that I have two turbocharged Chrysler trucks. My Ram and my Rampage. The Rampage has a 2.2l turbocharged motor out of an 85 GLH. It's a bit quicker than the Ram. Thanks again.