• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HELP - Reprogramming ECM with AlfaOBD

rpols7

Nov 30, 2019
Truck Year
I tried reprogramming another ECM with alfaobd. I got the vin and injector codes changed but starts and stalls. So I reinstalled my original and that does the same thing? How do I get this running again? That's all I changed was the was the vin and injector code.

rpols7

Nov 30, 2019
Truck Year
I got it going again with the old one. I play with the other one another day. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I disconnected the battery 30 min and touched the cables for about 30 sec.

rpols7

Nov 30, 2019
Truck Year
I got it going again with the old one. I play with the other one another day. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I disconnected the battery 30 min and touched the cables for about 30 sec.
Thats what I'm thinking. Maybe I didn't give the "New PCM" enought time? Then when I switched back it was really confused.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I doubt Alfa is capable of reprograming Different ECM, You will need the Ing/Key Code and PIN #s. their will be most likely a VIN Mismatch.
Once the modules detect changes NOT approved it will default to protection mode that's why it starts and Die's.

Its best to re-write VIN and Reflash to that Vin#.Requires WITech.

rpols7

Nov 30, 2019
Truck Year
I doubt Alfa is capable of reprograming Different ECM, You will need the Ing/Key Code and PIN #s. their will be most likely a VIN Mismatch.
Once the modules detect changes NOT approved it will default to protection mode that's why it starts and Die's.

I have read where many have successfully wrote to another ECM. I was able to write the injector codes and it DID change the current vin on the unit. I will try it again when I have more time.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
On same ECM/PCM Yes, On different ECM/PCM.

Changing is allowable on Current functional ECM/PCM, Install different W/O WITECH and you will have trouble. Sales code line sheets ,etc.

You also do not know what current Versions are installed, Also The PIN/and Codes will differ, If you loose your KEYS it will cost 1000s to replace, don't think for even 1 millisecond you have command of your modules with Alfa.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
TC,
Here, from another forum's member is a PDF file showing how to do it with AlfaOBD. Many have successfully done it.

Attachments

• 1-Flashing VIN number to another ECU.pdf
    328.8 KB · Views: 189

John

Nov 13, 2015
On same ECM/PCM Yes, On different ECM/PCM.

Changing is allowable on Current functional ECM/PCM, Install different W/O WITECH and you will have trouble. Sales code line sheets ,etc.

You also do not know what current Versions are installed, Also The PIN/and Codes will differ, If you loose your KEYS it will cost 1000s to replace, don't think for even 1 millisecond you have command of your modules with Alfa.
My money says TC is absolutely correct on this one. While many have reprogrammed VIN and injector codes with alpha I doubt all parameters are correct.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here a link the first Half, Its a different vehicle none the less the principle is the same.

Rick Story

Feb 12, 2020
Truck Year
Hoping someone can help me.... I just ordered an OBDlink MX+ with Bluetooth and am downloading the software this weekend. I have an old android phone and several android devices - all with Bluetooth.
Do I still need to purchase cables or can I plug the alphaOBDLink MX+ into the port and connect via Bluetooth on my android device?
Thank you in advance
Rixtory

Pete630

Jul 16, 2021
Truck Year
Hi, new to this forum, I apologize if this has been asked and answered somewhere. I have a 2018 ED that’s been flashed with a GDE compliant tune. I’ve bought a used ECU from a 2018 that “should” be stock. I want to use one of these as my tune ecu and the other for visits to the dealer. I’m assuming that since the original ecu is flashed and works fine, I shouldn’t mess with that one.
With the guide posted, should I just clear codes, change vin and inj codes on my spare and be good to go for the dealer or is there more I need to do? Mileage, settings, etc?

thanks

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Vin and injectors should be all, the rear gear ratio and tire size will need to be checked also

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ram now has Token flashing, That means, even changing the VIN will not change the date and latest Part# for both Module and OS.

The mileage will mis-match.

I don't see WHY Dealer or Ram would be concerned with the change UNLESS the motor required major repairs or puked.

This is Ram's latest stand when Warranty requires Major repairs IF DENIED.

I received a letter of warranty rejection citing,
“…we are not led to believe that the incident was due to a manufacturing responsibility.” “We will not be providing any financial assistance in this matter.

Pete630

Jul 16, 2021
Truck Year
Ram now has Token flashing, That means, even changing the VIN will not change the date and latest Part# for both Module and OS.

The mileage will mis-match.

I don't see WHY Dealer or Ram would be concerned with the change UNLESS the motor required major repairs or puked.

This is Ram's latest stand when Warranty requires Major repairs IF DENIED.

I received a letter of warranty rejection citing,
“…we are not led to believe that the incident was due to a manufacturing responsibility.” “We will not be providing any financial assistance in this matter.
I’m going to take this as, it’ll be best to reflash to stock before dealer visits for major work. Or I’m going to have to find a favorite tech to bring pizza to. Right now I keep my tuner in the car in case I have to do a quick reflash for any reason.
I had hoped to just be able to program a stock ecu and switch them in a pinch if for any reason I couldn’t get the flash to go. But I guess if I can’t reflash, no one what would be able to get a read either. Thanks all.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hi, new to this forum, I apologize if this has been asked and answered somewhere. I have a 2018 ED that’s been flashed with a GDE compliant tune. I’ve bought a used ECU from a 2018 that “should” be stock. I want to use one of these as my tune ecu and the other for visits to the dealer. I’m assuming that since the original ecu is flashed and works fine, I shouldn’t mess with that one.
With the guide posted, should I just clear codes, change vin and inj codes on my spare and be good to go for the dealer or is there more I need to do? Mileage, settings, etc?

thanks
Pete,
It sounds like you bought a tuned truck rather than you purchased and installed the GDE tune. Didn't the truck come with GDE's handheld tuner which would allow you to easily flash to stock for dealer visits? If you didn't get the GDE tuner with the truck have you contacted GDE to get registered with them and get a tuner? GDE keeps track of all their tuning by VIN Number. Seems that would be a lot better than the expense and hassle of using a second ECM.