• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hi, I'm a new Ram EcoDiesel owner from Michigan. Truck has 96k on it. Absolutely love the truck. Owned it 4 months. Starting to have trouble with it.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome just buy a tuned ecu and install it and send the old one back takes about ten minutes to change gde is a very good one

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
One option is give GDE a call, in Michigan. Sounds like you want the off road tune. You can drive there, took about 20 min when I went there in person rather than sending it off and waiting...

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
One option is give GDE a call, in Michigan. Sounds like you want the off road tune. You can drive there, took about 20 min when I went there in person rather than sending it off and waiting...
Just a though, did you consider SFT tune before you bought the GDE tune. If not why did YOU PERSONLY chose the GDE tune over the SFT tune. Just asking I DO NOT WANT TO START A TUNE BASHING forum.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Just a though, did you consider SFT tune before you bought the GDE tune. If not why did YOU PERSONLY chose the GDE tune over the SFT tune. Just asking I DO NOT WANT TO START A TUNE BASHING forum.
You just did. Lol. :)

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
At the time, I hadn't heard of SFT, and I went by reputation and years on the market. GDE has been around a long time, and after a lot of research, GDE had what I was looking for. I wasn't after more power. My concern was the EGR and soot buildup, and REGEN's and keeping the truck running clean so hopefully it would last me a long time.

#1, I wanted that shut off. I live in Canada and my options were Celtic Tune which was just around the corner from where i live, or drive down to Michigan and get GDE. I'm not comfortable mailing my ECU, I wanted to go in person, meet Keith and ask questions. This way, if I ever have problems, I know who to get ahold of, etc.

I researched for several months, and I was gonna do the Celtic tune, but I PM'd a lot of guys in Canada who had Celtic and most had switched over to GDE, and they said it's night and day difference. I figured, why buy one tune then change to another, that's a lot of coin to waste trying different tunes... They all advised me that it was well worth paying a little more and going GDE from the start. From fuel dilution in the oil, to excess regens with other tunes. These are things we don't normally see or know about unless you get the oil tested and run torque pro.

I run TORQUE pro and I could see just on the stock tune that my truck was getting a REGEN every 120-180 km, so over the course of every oil change, I'd get in and around 66 - 80 regens for the life of the oil That's TERRIBLE!. Guys who ran other tunes were telling me that they would regen around the same as a stock tune, which IMO, was excessive. It's no wonder our oil is black as hell when we do an oil change. I held back and did a lot more research and decided on GDE.

REGEN's dump more fuel in to heat up the DPF, and IMO where does the excess unburned fuel go? Down the cylinder walls and into the oil creating fuel dilution. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know but I wasn't willing to take that risk on a tune that doesn't address REGEN's. IMO, the less regens you do, the better off your oil is and the better off the chances of lower bearing failure are... Not only that, but the more regen's you have, that'll eventually take it's toll on the DPF and those ain't cheap to replace. To heat the DPF up to 1300 F that many times, is insane on wear and tear on parts.

Like I said, I have nothing against SFT, but at the time, I hadn't even heard of it to do the comparables. Also, now that I have heard of it, IMO it hasn't been around long enough for me to just jump on the band-wagon without enough feedback from others who tried it out. So far I'm hearing some good things about SFT, but I'd also like to hear the long-term results, after a year, after two years, any issues? Does SFT affect the flash count on the ECU?

I like to read about others reviews about SFT. IMO, those reviews mean a lot on the market. I like to read about more testing and numbers. Like how often does it regen with a SFT tune (with city driving, with highway)? Have you had the oil tested for fuel dilution?

I can testify that I've had GDE for two months now, and only had 2 regens in 2 months, with an average of 1100 - 1200 km between regens, and that is with a majority of CITY driving and some HIGHWAY driving. TO me that's a huge improvement from stock at 120-150 km between regens. I do a lot of city driving in traffic and the stock tune soot was killing my intakes and DPF!

Granted, GDE does bump up the threshold for a regen to 80% soot instead of the stock 66%, which certainly helps extend the time between regens, so IMO, that's a good thing.

Hope that helps answer your question.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Wow, quite an analysis from a GDE customer of 2 months. Good job bro.

I had GDE almost 3 years. I agree that it was money well spent. Just understand that it comes with certain risks for owners of trucks still under warranty.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Wow, quite an analysis from a GDE customer of 2 months. Good job bro.

I had GDE almost 3 years. I agree that it was money well spent. Just understand that it comes with certain risks for owners of trucks still under warranty.
VERY true, as does any tune. If warrantee is the worry, just keep the stock ECU and buy an extra ECU with a tune or look at other tunes. Gotta outweigh the options. If you want to keep the truck long term, you gotta protect it from all this emission crap that is self-destroying the truck. I'm sure that if all this emission crap wasn't on the truck, they'd probably last a hell of a lot longer.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
At the time, I hadn't heard of SFT, and I went by reputation and years on the market. GDE has been around a long time, and after a lot of research, GDE had what I was looking for. I wasn't after more power. My concern was the EGR and soot buildup, and REGEN's and keeping the truck running clean so hopefully it would last me a long time.

#1, I wanted that shut off. I live in Canada and my options were Celtic Tune which was just around the corner from where i live, or drive down to Michigan and get GDE. I'm not comfortable mailing my ECU, I wanted to go in person, meet Keith and ask questions. This way, if I ever have problems, I know who to get ahold of, etc.

I researched for several months, and I was gonna do the Celtic tune, but I PM'd a lot of guys in Canada who had Celtic and most had switched over to GDE, and they said it's night and day difference. I figured, why buy one tune then change to another, that's a lot of coin to waste trying different tunes... They all advised me that it was well worth paying a little more and going GDE from the start. From fuel dilution in the oil, to excess regens with other tunes. These are things we don't normally see or know about unless you get the oil tested and run torque pro.

I run TORQUE pro and I could see just on the stock tune that my truck was getting a REGEN every 120-180 km, so over the course of every oil change, I'd get in and around 66 - 80 regens for the life of the oil That's TERRIBLE!. Guys who ran other tunes were telling me that they would regen around the same as a stock tune, which IMO, was excessive. It's no wonder our oil is black as hell when we do an oil change. I held back and did a lot more research and decided on GDE.

REGEN's dump more fuel in to heat up the DPF, and IMO where does the excess unburned fuel go? Down the cylinder walls and into the oil creating fuel dilution. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know but I wasn't willing to take that risk on a tune that doesn't address REGEN's. IMO, the less regens you do, the better off your oil is and the better off the chances of lower bearing failure are... Not only that, but the more regen's you have, that'll eventually take it's toll on the DPF and those ain't cheap to replace. To heat the DPF up to 1300 F that many times, is insane on wear and tear on parts.

Like I said, I have nothing against SFT, but at the time, I hadn't even heard of it to do the comparables. Also, now that I have heard of it, IMO it hasn't been around long enough for me to just jump on the band-wagon without enough feedback from others who tried it out. So far I'm hearing some good things about SFT, but I'd also like to hear the long-term results, after a year, after two years, any issues? Does SFT affect the flash count on the ECU?

I like to read about others reviews about SFT. IMO, those reviews mean a lot on the market. I like to read about more testing and numbers. Like how often does it regen with a SFT tune (with city driving, with highway)? Have you had the oil tested for fuel dilution?

I can testify that I've had GDE for two months now, and only had 2 regens in 2 months, with an average of 1100 - 1200 km between regens, and that is with a majority of CITY driving and some HIGHWAY driving. TO me that's a huge improvement from stock at 120-150 km between regens. I do a lot of city driving in traffic and the stock tune soot was killing my intakes and DPF!

Granted, GDE does bump up the threshold for a regen to 80% soot instead of the stock 66%, which certainly helps extend the time between regens, so IMO, that's a good thing.

Hope that helps answer your question.
Destacado asked what I was looking for for someone who is Tradd a GDE product and who is not endorsed by GDE.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Having problems with my computer , but what I meant to say was that this kind is the kind of research I was looking for,not for or against GDE or SFT tune. But from someone who has used a tune and know the results of what it is doing for their engine. I have done my own research and have yet to find anything or anyone who has any evidence that GDE makes a bad tune or SFT makes a bad tune proven by research and facts .But I love my truck and I know GDE has been around a long time and I think I will be going with their tune.