• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hi there

Riprope

Feb 8, 2016
Truck Year
Just dropping a line to say hi to my fellow Eco-diesel enthusiasts (? or victims...lots of horror stories out there). I have a 2015 Outdoorsman with a little over 32K (yep Canadian) on it – no issues to speak of in comparison. Doing my own oil changes after the first $260 donation to the dealer. Started with using Amsoil but will switch over the Rotella T6. Love the truck, but the other two people I know with the Eco-diesel have already had full engine replacements. I knew about the exhaust system issue before, but the oil in the coolant is getting frightening.

Riprope

Feb 8, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks for quick welcome. One failure was 2014 and other was 2015. Like you said - hit and miss

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
welcome. I've had good luck here knock on wood

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Welcome, about to turn 39,000 miles here on my 2015 without skipping a beat, good luck with yours

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Just dropping a line to say hi to my fellow Eco-diesel enthusiasts (? or victims...lots of horror stories out there). I have a 2015 Outdoorsman with a little over 32K (yep Canadian) on it – no issues to speak of in comparison. Doing my own oil changes after the first $260 donation to the dealer. Started with using Amsoil but will switch over the Rotella T6. Love the truck, but the other two people I know with the Eco-diesel have already had full engine replacements. I knew about the exhaust system issue before, but the oil in the coolant is getting frightening.
I understand the oil cooler is LIQUID cooled. The oil cooler can fail which will be the culprit for the oil in the coolant. I wonder if that is what is causing the engine failures?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I understand the oil cooler is LIQUID cooled. The oil cooler can fail which will be the culprit for the oil in the coolant. I wonder if that is what is causing the engine failures?
That isn't causing failure persay, it introduces the oil/coolant sludge into the engine and the dealership cannot really flush it out properly, a very tedious process that seems to often result in engine replacement because of inability to remove oil contaminants from the cooling system. But this is not considered engine failure. The engine failures you are reading of are spun crank and rod bearings in the lower end, this is an "engine failure".

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
That isn't causing failure persay, it introduces the oil/coolant sludge into the engine and the dealership cannot really flush it out properly, a very tedious process that seems to often result in engine replacement because of inability to remove oil contaminants from the cooling system. But this is not considered engine failure. The engine failures you are reading of are spun crank and rod bearings in the lower end, this is an "engine failure".
Why I was asking. Wondering if the oil viscosity breaks down and the lubricity is decreased to the point that the bearings just go away. I will have to do more reading on this. Thanks

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Why I was asking. Wondering if the oil viscosity breaks down and the lubricity is decreased to the point that the bearings just go away. I will have to do more reading on this. Thanks
No the bearing failures are not happening only on engines that have suffered oil cooler failures, they are two separate issues, not consecutive.