• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High Oil Pressure When Accelerating from Dead Stop

Don Balint

Jul 7, 2017
Truck Year
I just bought a used 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel (30K miles). I started noticing several times today that when I start accelerating from a dead stop my oil pressure shoots up to 40, 50 even 60 PSI. It shocked me...but being a newbie diesel owner I have no idea if that is to expected. With all the 'blown engines' I'm wondering if this is an early signal for future blown engine. This extreme spike in oil pressure...is that 'normal' for an ecodiesel?

John

Nov 13, 2015
What you're seeing is 100% normal for the ecodiesel. The oil pressure you see is simply a calculation based on the oil temperature and RPM. Unfortunately the ecodiesel does not read the actual oil pressure. The oil pressure sending unit is just a switch and the only genuine display would be the "no oil pressure message" if the pressure goes below 4.4psig.

With the stock oil pressure switch, valid pressure is reported above 0.5 bar (7.3 psig) and the oil pressure lamp is turned on below 0.3 bar (4.4 psig). This is controlled mechanically by the switch.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just bought a used 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel (30K miles). I started noticing several times today that when I start accelerating from a dead stop my oil pressure shoots up to 40, 50 even 60 PSI. It shocked me...but being a newbie diesel owner I have no idea if that is to expected. With all the 'blown engines' I'm wondering if this is an early signal for future blown engine. This extreme spike in oil pressure...is that 'normal' for an ecodiesel?

Welcome Don!

Don Balint

Jul 7, 2017
Truck Year

John,
Thank you for the insight - you seem to have a deep knowledge of the internals of the EcoDiesel. Any advise on how to educate myself quickly? Given the cost, I need this bad boy to last for 200K miles.

Don Balint

Jul 7, 2017
Truck Year
I'm no expert. I only know what I learned from sifting through the available forums. My advice is to simply follow the maintenance schedule outlined in the owners manual.

If you don't have one you can download it here: https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/care/owners-manual.html

I've been studying the maintenance schedule - I'd like to do the fluid/filter maintenance myself to be sure everything is to spec. Do you do your own maintenance?

Benjamin

Jul 25, 2017
Truck Year
I bought this brand new added the wheel Moto metal 962 and Tokyo open country mt installed a leveling kit running boards and the bed cover, now I am looking at tunes and I'm thinking of going with the GDE hot tune any input?truck currently has 25k miles

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 10

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought this brand new added the wheel Moto metal 962 and Tokyo open country mt installed a leveling kit running boards and the bed cover, now I am looking at tunes and I'm thinking of going with the GDE hot tune any input?truck currently has 25k miles
Looks good. I like the combo! Welcome to the forum.

Search around the forum here for "tunes" and you'll get plenty of answers!