• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many miles on your ecodiesel and have you had any problems?

MarzMiller

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Do I need to get both the Hot Tune and the Trans Tune? Or can I just run the Hot Tune?

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Update as posted previously low Coolant due to leak caused it to push a head gasket at 371k. (So keep it to the degas tank seam if you are losing coolant until you get it resolved) I chose to put in a new motor (cost to time & 24 month unlimited mileage warranty) Since then other than a load of dirty fuel no issues in 193k but I do have GDE engine & transmission tune.

Never had any transmission repairs and have been towing travel trailers & occasionally boats commercially since new. 564,000 miles.

Ram for life, GDE & some guy that goes by sofa king both with webpages & details have a post AEM tune that will make your truck engine & transmission work better than original let alone post AEM. Better power, mileage, oil that stays clean, turbo brake etc.

Cmanely, if when in the future EGR cooler goes bad again & outside of warranty a by comparison inexpensive EGR cooler delete kit and $50 tune update fixes that problem permanently. And takes some heat load off of your cooling system to boot.

Hope this helps some people. IMO this is a big part of what these forums are for. Really a great lil engine can’t wait till the 2nd generation hits the streets so the bearing failures stop.
Tks

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Do I need to get both the Hot Tune and the Trans Tune? Or can I just run the Hot Tune?
You don't have to get both. I pull a 17' deep-V boat during the summer and a 5,000 pound trailer in the fall, so I elected to get the trans tune as well. The settlement money i am expecting will cover both (~$1,850) and for me it was a no-brainer. Since installing the tunes, my truck VERY rarely downshifts pulling my boat in the hills in southern IA, and the engine braking is consistent and effective.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
You don't have to get both. I pull a 17' deep-V boat during the summer and a 5,000 pound trailer in the fall, so I elected to get the trans tune as well. The settlement money i am expecting will cover both (~$1,850) and for me it was a no-brainer. Since installing the tunes, my truck VERY rarely downshifts pulling my boat in the hills in southern IA, and the engine braking is consistent and effective.
Thanks, I was in love with the way that my truck shift before the AME update. But I HATE the way that the truck shifts after the AME update.

MarzMiller

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
I don’t do much towing, but I do quite a bit of highway driving and my truck downshifts constantly at the most minor inclines. It just kills my mpg

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks, I was in love with the way that my truck shift before the AME update. But I HATE the way that the truck shifts after the AME update.
I hear you, and the increased turbo lag and general lack of responsiveness was unacceptable to me. The GDE makes the truck run, drive, and shift like a gasser. My wife couldn't believe the improvement in driveability and doesn't call my truck "the dog of the fleet" any longer. LOL!

JOC_Diesel

Apr 11, 2016
Truck Year
I have 72,000 miles on my 2016, and Truck runs great! Had center support bearing go bad on the drive shaft.

Georgek

Oct 3, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
2018 with 9000 miles. Ive done two oil and filter changes already! No problems, great truck so far. The oil has been as high as 230 on long grades and im considering removing some shutters.

Bea McRae

Jun 18, 2019
Truck Year
I wanted to take a quick poll and ask how many miles do you have and if you have any problems?

I have 15000 miles but no problems. I'm happy with my ecodiesel so far!!
Have twice had check engine light come on. I had -45,000 and 48,000 miles on 2016 Dodge eco diesel when this happened. Codes were for Particulate filter pressure sensor circuit.
Replaced both times, however after spending $1000.00 was not the problem. Was problem with harness connector underneath vehicle. Replaced first time patched wire cost $5.00, sensor $119, labor $504.00 at Dodge. Second time same story but parts and labor 272.00 at local repair shop. Codes are a problem

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Have twice had check engine light come on. I had -45,000 and 48,000 miles on 2016 Dodge eco diesel when this happened. Codes were for Particulate filter pressure sensor circuit.
Replaced both times, however after spending $1000.00 was not the problem. Was problem with harness connector underneath vehicle. Replaced first time patched wire cost $5.00, sensor $119, labor $504.00 at Dodge. Second time same story but parts and labor 272.00 at local repair shop. Codes are a problem
I have a 2016, with about 33K on it. So far so good no problems. I plan to drive it until it dies. I am waiting on my refund from Ram for the eco-diesel settlement. I think I’m going to get a GED tune for the truck.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016, with about 33K on it. So far so good no problems. I plan to drive it until it dies. I am waiting on my refund from Ram for the eco-diesel settlement. I think I’m going to get a GED tune for the truck.
Make that GDE. Tune . Don’t laugh at me to bad,lol.

MOOSENGOOSE

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
EGR COOLER / DEALER IS STILL CLUELESS. CHANGED EGR COOLER FOR NO REASON, CLEANED MAP SENSOR, FOR NO REASON. AFTER ALL THAT I TOOK MY TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER - THEY TOLD ME THERE WERE NO CODES JUST SOME OLDER TEMP SENSOR CODES - WHICH IS WHAT I ORIGINALLY TOOK IT IN FOR, WHEN I ASKED THEM IF THEY CHECKED THE TEMPERATURE SENSORS I WAS TOLD "THE MECHANIC CAN'T JUST START CHECKING EVERYTHING UNDER THE HOOD" - THEY CLEARED THE CODES AND SENT ME ON MY WAY, 5 MINUTES LATER THE CODE RETURNED - UPON MY RETURN TO DEALER THEY FINALLY CHANGED A TEMPERATURE SENSOR LOCATED UNDER THE THERMOSTAT - CODE CLEAR FOR 2.5 WEEKS NOW.. AMAZING!!

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I hear you, and the increased turbo lag and general lack of responsiveness was unacceptable to me. The GDE makes the truck run, drive, and shift like a gasser. My wife couldn't believe the improvement in driveability and doesn't call my truck "the dog of the fleet" any longer. LOL!
Please tell me if you purchased the transmission shift tune as well ?

jcj1576

May 6, 2018
Truck Year
Please tell me if you purchased the transmission shift tune as well ?
Yes. I bought the hot tune and the transmission tune. The trans tune comes with a handy little OBDC module that can be used to clear some error codes as well.

Codyluker10

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2014 with 94,000 hard miles (I Love to roll coal) on it.
Put the PPEI 60hp tune in at 60k miles, and wish I had done it when it was new.
Have not had one single issue.
Die hard ED fan, would love to see just how much I can get out of this truck.

ramfan

Aug 2, 2019
Truck Year
I have an 18 with 17k miles. The memory seats, garage door opener have not worked since I picked it up. It also is super gutless when I first start driving it. Dealer can't seem to get any of it fixed. I wished I had bought the hemi.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I have an 18 with 17k miles. The memory seats, garage door opener have not worked since I picked it up. It also is super gutless when I first start driving it. Dealer can't seem to get any of it fixed. I wished I had bought the hemi.

There are options out there that will wake up the truck. Tunes from PPEI, SFT, GDE, etc will do the trick. There is also the Pedal Commander, which eliminates a lot of the lag you experience. Install these at your own risk tho as a dealership may deny you warranty work because of them. Kind of stinks that an owner needs to go aftermarket to get the most out of the truck.

But even with these things, you are still driving a 3ton brick, powered by a whopping 3 liters of engine. It is not a tire burner, never will be, and especially not when the engine is cold. The hemi Ram is a totally different animal.