• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many of these engines have zero issues?

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
I swear I looked at Edmunds, and general reviews and NONE of these concerns came up before I bought an ecodiesel LAST NIGHT. Reading this forum has me wanting to back out (I haven't taken possession so I'm pretty sure I can back out yet.) I need something reliable to own for years, not another POS like the Ford 6.4 that will have no value in 5 years.

Are these issues still happening at a high percentage rate on 2017s and newer???

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The chances of issues are much greater with an EcoDiesel over any other new modern diesel right now. Just my opinion.. if you have a warranty and not totally dependent on your truck and get a good deal, then go for it!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Laramie, Limited?

They can be made to last, eliminate the parts that cause 90% of the problems.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I got a 'Hero' engine as TC would call it. I believe 95% of them are fine and will last. But I think it is almost imperative to eliminate the EGR operation. I would never tell anyone to stay off a forum, especially one as fine as Jeff has built here, BUUUUUT don't click the troubling posts if it's going to make you a worry wart.

A 2017 Ecodiesel isn't much different from a 2014/15 save OEM programming. But if you take the advice and tune it, the OEM programming means little.

Last edited:

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I also have had trouble free operation
2015 Bighorn bought new
Daily Driver
Tuned in Dec of 2019
Have never seen an engine code once
around 50000 miles, plenty of towing but mostly daily driving, mix of city and highway
very fussy about oil and fuel filter changes (every 7500 miles for both)

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Laramie, Limited?

They can be made to last, eliminate the parts that cause 90% of the problems.

Laramie, 4x4, 6,185 miles, sun roof, 3.92 rear wheel ratio.

BUT (and it is a huge but!) I am not seeing the fuel economy so far, we are sitting around 18.1 combined and that is BS considering I could pay less for fuel and less for an engine if I wanted to get that kind of economy, and two I took it through a car was today and there is a LEAK above the passenger side rear seat the dripped all over my daughter. At first I thought it was the rear window, but it is nowhere close and I can see where this has happened in the past. :( what a shame. I sent pics to the dealer, he said bring it in on Monday but I'm going "WTF" and I don't know how they're going to fix it, because it doesn't appear to be a window seal issues. No clues where it is coming from, would say they need to tear off the headliner and we know they aren't going to do that.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
“No clues where it is coming from, would say they need to tear off the headliner and we know they aren't going to do that.”

you might give them a chance before you jump to conclusions.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Fair, I bought the truck, not knowing about the eco diesel issues, and wasn't concerned with the service department. This service department at this dealership is not good. Nothing but issues for my family and friends. Even the salesman said their service department sucked.

EcoLeesiel

Oct 2, 2018
Truck Year
Laramie, 4x4, 6,185 miles, sun roof, 3.92 rear wheel ratio.

BUT (and it is a huge but!) I am not seeing the fuel economy so far, we are sitting around 18.1 combined and that is BS considering I could pay less for fuel and less for an engine if I wanted to get that kind of economy, and two I took it through a car was today and there is a LEAK above the passenger side rear seat the dripped all over my daughter. At first I thought it was the rear window, but it is nowhere close and I can see where this has happened in the past. :( what a shame. I sent pics to the dealer, he said bring it in on Monday but I'm going "WTF" and I don't know how they're going to fix it, because it doesn't appear to be a window seal issues. No clues where it is coming from, would say they need to tear off the headliner and we know they aren't going to do that.

This was an issue in my previous Hemi Ram....a known issue with third brake light seal. Dealer fixed no charge...problem solved. Google it and you'll see tons of forum posts and YouTube as well.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
This was an issue in my previous Hemi Ram....a known issue with third brake light seal. Dealer fixed no charge...problem solved. Google it and you'll see tons of forum posts and YouTube as well.
There isn't a break light up there I don't think. IMG_20200529_183516.jpg

EcoLeesiel

Oct 2, 2018
Truck Year
Yes, it's there......nice looking truck by the way! Mine leaked same spot as yours as well as thousands of others.... although seeing yours is an 18 model year you would think this problem had been solved by now. I'm still putting money on the brake light !
Ps....check your door gasket seal for any anomalies where water might sneak in, especially near roof line.

Last edited:

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Yes, it's there......nice looking truck by the way! Mine leaked same spot as yours as well as thousands of others.... although seeing yours is an 18 model year you would think this problem had been solved by now. I'm still putting money on the brake light !
Ps....check your door gasket seal for any anomalies where water might sneak in, especially near roof line.
Thank you! So far I love it except I don't think the fuel economy everyone swears by is there and the water leak. I haven't driven it enough to say for sure on fuel economy. I'm probably stuck with it even if it gets 18/22 but I will be pretty upset if it does.

EcoLeesiel

Oct 2, 2018
Truck Year
Regarding mileage...do you live in an area that's relatively flat terrain or is it hilly? My EcoD gets great city mileage (22-24 mpg) in Vancouver, BC where its mostly flat roads and a few hills but I live in a rural area outside of Vancouver with tons of hills and my average drops to (18-20 mpg). Hwy driving even in my town is nice and flat and that's where I see a big boost (26-28 mpg). Of course with diesels there is also a seasonal aspect as once winter sets in my mpg's take a hit even here on the Wet Coast where temps hover near zero and we get winter fuel in the mix. The only other thing that will be recommended to you I'm sure is to do a tune and turn that truck into an even more efficient beast. All in all be happy that you're getting pretty decent fuel numbers for a half ton truck and if you got yourself a "good" one you'll be rewarded with many years of great driving in arguably one of the nicest trucks on the road.

Cheers!

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Regarding mileage...do you live in an area that's relatively flat terrain or is it hilly? My EcoD gets great city mileage (22-24 mpg) in Vancouver, BC where its mostly flat roads and a few hills but I live in a rural area outside of Vancouver with tons of hills and my average drops to (18-20 mpg). Hwy driving even in my town is nice and flat and that's where I see a big boost (26-28 mpg). Of course with diesels there is also a seasonal aspect as once winter sets in my mpg's take a hit even here on the Wet Coast where temps hover near zero and we get winter fuel in the mix. The only other thing that will be recommended to you I'm sure is to do a tune and turn that truck into an even more efficient beast. All in all be happy that you're getting pretty decent fuel numbers for a half ton truck and if you got yourself a "good" one you'll be rewarded with many years of great driving in arguably one of the nicest trucks on the road.

Cheers!
In it's defense I have been driving short trips to my boyfriends house and into town. But I'm 10 mins from town so driving 65-70mph on flat I was seeing 32 in the actual/current mpg, but then when I was headed home at same speeds was seeing 22.... So now I'm wondering if I had let up on the throttle or something.

I have to go into the mountains today to visit my parents, an hour each way over a pass, so I will see how it does. My car takes a bit over the pass. It's a dodge caliber standard trans so I get 32-33 on flat highway. Its a base model so doesn't have the bells and whistles (even though it's an '11) so I can't see actual milage over the pass. I just fill the tank every time and reset my trip miles then do the math. But anyway, it doesn't hurt it too bad for the most part. I guess we'll see.

But to answer your question, I'm in the valley on Montana, so I'm not driving in mountains or hills every day.

EcoLeesiel

Oct 2, 2018
Truck Year
Keep on truckin and keep us updated on your trials and tribulations of your new ride

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Use your Dodge Caliber for the short trips to the BF's. That is the kind of mileage your eco will hate.

TruckChick

May 29, 2020
Truck Year
Use your Dodge Caliber for the short trips to the BF's. That is the kind of mileage your eco will hate.
Yes agree and that was the point of keeping the caliber, it's just currently new. I will see how it does when I visit my parents today, they're 58 miles away lol. But running around in town has not reached 19mpg, nor has it reached 23combined considering some is highway/back roads with no stops. Time will tell I will check back in.