• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HS Oil Cooler Kit

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I tow new dry 30' (Floor-plans) Airstreams & Classics often. Usually 7k ish but to 8k also have a few of the new 33 Classics to 8,700 and even a 33 Forrest River 3 slides box TT at 9,086. Many long trips over the western grades and in the heat when I have to. The FR unit went up the grapevine a longer 5 & 6 percent climb.

Naturally WDH & bags with good weight distribution & axle weights as set up on the scales. Anyway 3.92s, 31.9" load tires, tune w brake, and changing from big horn to SLT grill made a noticeable difference in both coolant & oil temps. Even slight improvement in trans temp. Basically It buys you some time.

Biggest thing is limiting sustained climb rpms to 3k or less. I normally tow at 65 but sometimes go to 70 before a climb and usually hold the line at 55. I try to always hit a climb with a head of steam backing off throttle as I need to enorder to keep rpms at or below 3k after its downshifted.

Only A few ever brought the truck to 4th flat on the floor down to 50ish & only briefly before cresting the top. On these few occasions (340k towing) I averted derate. But on these few occasions have briefly seen oil at 270 & water 245. Briefly seeing flashing red temps.

Point is you can manage temps.

Still hope somebody will provide us with some combination radiator/CAC relocation/oil cooler solution. But with a likely price point north of $1k can they sell enough to recoup the R&D and make it a likely profitable venture.

EPA did not help with this stopping 17 production for a while & drastically cutting into ED sales. Glad 17 EDs are back on the lots. Anyway continued and sales volume will likely get us our solution. But I suspect the MY 19 ED will have this resolved so we may never get to where vendors are willing to invest. Has anyone gotten a better radiator solution yet?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Dj does still have the air cooled external oil cooler but at premium price point of course