• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I have been gone for awhile..

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
I have been Lucky enough to have taken 2months of vacation time... I live in Illinois .. And it is cold and crappy here. My biggest worry that with my truck sitting for so long and it getting cold here that the battery would go dead.. I put one of those small solar charges on it that goes in the power source... Not sure if it helped but I am glad to say the truck started up perfect after not being driven for so long. After sitting in plane seat and uber cars( although in Dubai all the uber cars are Lexus).. I was so glad to get back into my truck and drive it .... it drives better the Lexus uber cars I rode in..

I am having one issue that someone may have a thought on.. I use the remote start in the morning to warm the truck up.. For about 10 mins.. I don't drive very far daily right now because I like to stay in the winter.. But I have notice that my mpg has dropped terribly and there is a bad smell .. I figured maybe it is trying to regen but will just not get hot enough while idle and the short daily drive to feed my flock at my barn... I did take it out on the highway a few days ago just in case it needed to do full regen.. I have not gotten any codes ect..but mpg is still shit.. I was getting 24 mpg in town and 29 average since I bought the truck on Aug.. Any idea why my mpg sucks? I had 1/2 tank of bio diesel and filled the rest with #2 diesel the Caseys in town just got straight diesel.. Every other place is bio in town.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have been Lucky enough to have taken 2months of vacation time... I live in Illinois .. And it is cold and crappy here. My biggest worry that with my truck sitting for so long and it getting cold here that the battery would go dead.. I put one of those small solar charges on it that goes in the power source... Not sure if it helped but I am glad to say the truck started up perfect after not being driven for so long. After sitting in plane seat and uber cars( although in Dubai all the uber cars are Lexus).. I was so glad to get back into my truck and drive it .... it drives better the Lexus uber cars I rode in..

I am having one issue that someone may have a thought on.. I use the remote start in the morning to warm the truck up.. For about 10 mins.. I don't drive very far daily right now because I like to stay in the winter.. But I have notice that my mpg has dropped terribly and there is a bad smell .. I figured maybe it is trying to regen but will just not get hot enough while idle and the short daily drive to feed my flock at my barn... I did take it out on the highway a few days ago just in case it needed to do full regen.. I have not gotten any codes ect..but mpg is still shit.. I was getting 24 mpg in town and 29 average since I bought the truck on Aug.. Any idea why my mpg sucks? I had 1/2 tank of bio diesel and filled the rest with #2 diesel the Caseys in town just got straight diesel.. Every other place is bio in town.

Welcome back..

Winter fuel will generally give you a 2-3 mpg drop. On top of the habits of letting the truck warm up and driving conditions really hurt the economy on these trucks.

It's very possible it needs a regen. Maybe put some diesel fuel treatment in it as well since its been sitting in the cold (I'm assuming?).

Connie

Sep 16, 2015
Truck Year
Why is it bad to let the truck or any vehicle warm up as a opposed to starting it and taking off?? I know why we should not let a gas engine idle. However letting a diesel idle is common with large semi tractors.. My past vehicles did not have remote start on them.. It is really nice on a 0 degree day to get into a truck that is semi warm.. I can't change my driving habits.. I live in a small town and being retired .. My daily drive is a 6 min drive to the property I have my barn on and feed the animals..

Why does letting the truck warm up have a negative effect on your mpg? I did purchase diesel treatment for the cold weather so hopefully that will help.. But going down to 16 mpg surprised me.. after taking the truck for a highway drive about 1.5 hour round trip .. the mpg did come up to 19 mpg... Thanks for responding to my post !!!
Welcome back..

Winter fuel will generally give you a 2-3 mpg drop. On top of the habits of letting the truck warm up and driving conditions really hurt the economy on these trucks.

It's very possible it needs a regen. Maybe put some diesel fuel treatment in it as well since its been sitting in the cold (I'm assuming?).

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Why is it bad to let the truck or any vehicle warm up as a opposed to starting it and taking off?? I know why we should not let a gas engine idle. However letting a diesel idle is common with large semi tractors.. My past vehicles did not have remote start on them.. It is really nice on a 0 degree day to get into a truck that is semi warm.. I can't change my driving habits.. I live in a small town and being retired .. My daily drive is a 6 min drive to the property I have my barn on and feed the animals..

Why does letting the truck warm up have a negative effect on your mpg? I did purchase diesel treatment for the cold weather so hopefully that will help.. But going down to 16 mpg surprised me.. after taking the truck for a highway drive about 1.5 hour round trip .. the mpg did come up to 19 mpg... Thanks for responding to my post !!!

Simply because new modern diesels are equipped with DPFs. Technically, it could clog if it idled for a LONG period of time (I don't know the specifics of how long it would take).

But, sitting at idle is just wasting fuel.. therefore you economy will take a hit as your not moving, but burning fuel..

I will say, I let me idle a lot. Doesn't bother me.. rather loose a few MPG than freeze my butt off in the truck in the morning.. :D

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I would question how you are getting the 16mpg number? Have you ran a full tank out and hand calculated that number?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
A diesel engine idling for an hour uses as much fuel as if the vehicle had been driven 11 km (7 miles), on average. When it comes to maintenance, that same engine idling for an hour causes as much wear as if the vehicle had been driven 40 km (25 miles)

•Improved overall fuel economy and reduced maintenance costs

I been testing out the Shell V-Power Diesel. I kinda of like it so far. I have more info on this site under different forums.