• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I think EGR is chocking my truck to death - 2014 Ram EcoDiesel

ramcountrygirl2014

Jun 5, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 Ram EcoDiesel at 65,000 km.
The engine has started to cut out as if it is gasping for air; fuel usage is 3x as much; I have power loss; and can no longer tow my horse trailer or go up hills.

Took to dealership for diagnosing and they say no computer codes my hubby who is Ram
Knowledgeable had them look at the EGR tube that has 3/16 of oily soot and they are saying that is normal and there is nothing wrong with my truck.

We feel that is a lot of excess going into the engine and the turbo

Please give us your thoughts it would be very appreciated towards how to deal with dealer; or would you just take it out? Taking it would would void the warranty of course which in my situation is a bit scary.

I am a young business woman who purchased this truck as my work vehicle and find that I am left with an issue that should be addressed by warranty. As my business is new cash flow is not readily available; I have faith on this engine though am learning FCA has added additional parts that are not allowing this engine to work correctly and not backing their own product. As this is my first NEW vehicle and most horse people drive Dodge I felt I would be taken care of. At this point I have a large debt on a truck that is nor working; I drive to each client and most likely have more Km's them others so I am one of the few I have found on line with the same issue. I believe all of thses trucks are going to end up the same and one day this will be a recall and it will be too late for me because the dealerships just wash their hands of it. NO SUPPORT!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9095.JPG
    IMG_9095.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9096.JPG
    IMG_9096.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9097.JPG
    IMG_9097.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 63

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Your absolutely correct on the egr choking your engine but it does sounds like its not the root problem. It may be something small like a fuel filter or small boost leak. Thats where I would start.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Replace air and fuel Filters, clean the egr Tube and see if it remedies your problems.

ocn

Jun 12, 2016
Truck Year
Hi. New to this eco diesel forum. My 2014 ED had a catastrophic EGR related failure that began with some of your symptoms. Started to run poorly at times, lacking throttle response as if not changing down a gear or lacking boost. Various codes were set, including P0401, P1296, P1297. On way to drop at dealer for these issues performance fell off to point of loosing 20+ mph on hills along I-85 in SC. Dealer found EGR failed, clogged cooler. This resulted in a hole being melted into/thru intake manifold. With 65K miles on it, powertrain warranty covered the manifold replacement. Extended warranty I purchased covered the EGR crap to tune of nearly $2700! Dealer advised that they expect particles from melt down to find way into DPF and SCR, probably failing both of those which are still under emissions warranty. Within 30 miles of picking up truck after repairs, CEL on again for DPF code P2002. Wondering if I should move on to a 2016 and immediately install GDE ECM which turns off EGR. Or cross fingers, keep current truck and go with GDE???

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Hi. New to this eco diesel forum. My 2014 ED had a catastrophic EGR related failure that began with some of your symptoms. Started to run poorly at times, lacking throttle response as if not changing down a gear or lacking boost. Various codes were set, including P0401, P1296, P1297. On way to drop at dealer for these issues performance fell off to point of loosing 20+ mph on hills along I-85 in SC. Dealer found EGR failed, clogged cooler. This resulted in a hole being melted into/thru intake manifold. With 65K miles on it, powertrain warranty covered the manifold replacement. Extended warranty I purchased covered the EGR crap to tune of nearly $2700! Dealer advised that they expect particles from melt down to find way into DPF and SCR, probably failing both of those which are still under emissions warranty. Within 30 miles of picking up truck after repairs, CEL on again for DPF code P2002. Wondering if I should move on to a 2016 and immediately install GDE ECM which turns off EGR. Or cross fingers, keep current truck and go with GDE???

What did you decide to do?

I would at least get a extended warranty, or delete the dpf system if you're worried and close to being out of warranty.

ocn

Jun 12, 2016
Truck Year
The truck is back at dealer to address the P2002 code that came on shortly after the EGR repairs. I already have the extended warranty which is good as it covered the EGR repairs which FCA refused to cover (almost $2700). Definitely going to go with GDE tune as soon as I can.

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
The truck is back at dealer to address the P2002 code that came on shortly after the EGR repairs. I already have the extended warranty which is good as it covered the EGR repairs which FCA refused to cover (almost $2700). Definitely going to go with GDE tune as soon as I can.

GDE +1.

I can't believe that it is 2016 and we are STILL dealing with EGR clogging problems. We had these issues 20 years ago in the first batch of TDI engines...incredible.

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year

Which extended warranty do you have? Is it a Chrysler one? If so, what version? Thanks!

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks! I had been lurking for a while until I decided to buy a EcoD just about a week ago. A lot of good info here and taking some time to wade through it. ;)

I've been looking for warranties and am comparing to 3rd party companies which often offer exclusionary warranties. Often they don't exclude the smog related parts. So I reached out to a good company I've used before and I'm getting quotes now to see how they compare.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks! I had been lurking for a while until I decided to buy a EcoD just about a week ago. A lot of good info here and taking some time to wade through it. ;)

I've been looking for warranties and am comparing to 3rd party companies which often offer exclusionary warranties. Often they don't exclude the smog related parts. So I reached out to a good company I've used before and I'm getting quotes now to see how they compare.
I bought from wilcox in Forest Lake Mn and got the lifetime powertrain Warranty and then I also got the 7 year 100k bumper to bumper wrap offered by them third party for I think 2400? But that's a pretty rough guess. Haven't even needed the factory Warranty really. They checked out a water leak and I've had them replace the tailgate cap. Nothing else

Day Trippin

Jul 20, 2016
Truck Year
I may check with Wilcox. They aren't that far away from me. I should have the quote back on my truck from the company I used before sometime tomorrow. They had great rates on my motorcycle as well (when they covered them). They had fender to fender coverage for about the same price as Kawasaki but 50% longer term and unltd. miles. Never had them quote cars/trucks before so I don't know how competitive they are there. For RVs they have been awesome.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I may check with Wilcox. They aren't that far away from me. I should have the quote back on my truck from the company I used before sometime tomorrow. They had great rates on my motorcycle as well (when they covered them). They had fender to fender coverage for about the same price as Kawasaki but 50% longer term and unltd. miles. Never had them quote cars/trucks before so I don't know how competitive they are there. For RVs they have been awesome.
When I'm home tonight or tomorrow i'll get you some exact numbers. I ordered a sticker price of 59xxx and settled on 49xxx plus undercoat and protection then the wrap Warranty I was out the door at 52-53k before lovely taxes you know.

I can't speak much for the dealership, they're too big and push too many numbers. So it's not the most personable experience. Sales Rep was Anthony. Who was not bad but honestly I ask a lot of them. But I was in it for the numbers and the powertrain Warranty as I knew I'd put on a lot of miles and it being a new driveline I was a weary buyer.