• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm another new one coming in

FrankL1

Feb 7, 2017
Truck Year
Good Evening to all,

So this is my first post. I have a 2014 Limited 4x4 that currently holds 109k+/-.
I purchased the truck back im December from AZ on a business trip with 98k.(I know, pulled the trigger too quick).
So Tonight isn't the first issue, I actually had a problem about two weeks ago. Electronic Throttle Service popped up, couldn't go passed 30, it's fixed now. It did have two codes but didn't see what they were. My brother-in-law is a ASE mechanic and fixed it for me. I should've got those codes and wrote down what he did, it could possibly help someone on here. I'll do that once I get the chance.

Back to tomights ordeal, live in CA, drove down to SLO area for work.
Warm day(80 consistant) truck was workin fine all day. I'm leaving and as I do, truck chimes and states that it's over heating. Never has that happened. So I pull over let it cool down, put the heater on full, lowers back to normal. Thought to myself, well it'/ been warm today, I've had the AC on and would leave the truck unattended while running a few times. Once it lowered, fired her back up and drove, again, not even 25ft and I get the chime again.

I get the chime at 245 hits. Once the truck starts to overheat, the fan just starts to roll like crazy, sounds like I have chopper hovering over me. I have the heater on, but the whole time it's blowong ice cold.
As well when I turn the truck back on, the truck rumbles and sputters a bit, that's around 204-218.

I would love to get an input and see if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Thank you all in advance!

( Sorry for my poor grammar and short sentences. I'm trying to pull into the following town as we speak)

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
First thing we need to know, what temp are you talking about. I'm guessing coolant temperature? If that's the case your oil is probably well into the 270 range. Now there are a couple possibilities, one is the egr cooler is failing if so your coolant reservoir well be low. Two is your water pump is going out, might leak out of the weep hole. Three you have a thermostat issue. Either way it should be easy for a good mechanic to figure it out, ase certified or not.

FrankL1

Feb 7, 2017
Truck Year
First thing we need to know, what temp are you talking about. I'm guessing coolant temperature? If that's the case your oil is probably well into the 270 range. Now there are a couple possibilities, one is the egr cooler is failing if so your coolant reservoir well be low. Two is your water pump is going out, might leak out of the weep hole. Three you have a thermostat issue. Either way it should be easy for a good mechanic to figure it out, ase certified or not.

Thank you for your input.
And I'm terribly sorry for not being clear. But you're right I am talkig about my coolant temp and my oil was at that temp as well. And my coolant is low.
I found a small puddle of purple residue this morning behind the pasenger wheel, traced it up and looks like there's a coolant leak on one of the hoses. It's purple-ish but has no scent. Can't really tell because of the air filter box in the way.

I knew I forgot to mention something last night but I can't remember.

I'm about to check out from the hotel, and see if by any chance I can drive 8 miles or so to the dealer. Since I'm 65 miles away from home. I'll keep ya'll updated.

I absolutely love this truck, but being that it's out of warranty and I'd have to pay out of pocket, I might trade her in.. :/

On a different note, I've seen a couple of other posts on here regarding the radiator fan, you think it can be part of the problem with me?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you for your input.
And I'm terribly sorry for not being clear. But you're right I am talkig about my coolant temp and my oil was at that temp as well. And my coolant is low.
I found a small puddle of purple residue this morning behind the pasenger wheel, traced it up and looks like there's a coolant leak on one of the hoses. It's purple-ish but has no scent. Can't really tell because of the air filter box in the way.

I knew I forgot to mention something last night but I can't remember.

I'm about to check out from the hotel, and see if by any chance I can drive 8 miles or so to the dealer. Since I'm 65 miles away from home. I'll keep ya'll updated.

I absolutely love this truck, but being that it's out of warranty and I'd have to pay out of pocket, I might trade her in.. :/

On a different note, I've seen a couple of other posts on here regarding the radiator fan, you think it can be part of the problem with me?
I'd think more like a faulty thermostat if you're overheating the engine and running the heater full blast in the cab is blowing cold, it could be stuck on the closed engine loop. Heck if the coolant system has been opened and not properly bled it could even be air locked. That would cause overheating and a cold heater core.