• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm new to the forum just got my ed!

Luis payan

Jul 13, 2016
Truck Year
I'm new to the forum and was wondering how reliable is the ecodiesel ? I keep seeing blown engine here and there which got me worried my ecodiesel is a 2016 bighorn .....and any tips to actually making this my long term truck?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm new to the forum and was wondering how reliable is the ecodiesel ? I keep seeing blown engine here and there which got me worried my ecodiesel is a 2016 bighorn .....and any tips to actually making this my long term truck?

Welcome Luis!

For the most part, you have nothing to worry about. We usually get members here that want to talk about something being wrong rather than posting, "My truck is running great today!". So, I would say it's a very percentage that have issues. Just drive it and enjoy it!

Welcome to the forum.

Luis payan

Jul 13, 2016
Truck Year
Welcome Luis!

For the most part, you have nothing to worry about. We usually get members here that want to talk about something being wrong rather than posting, "My truck is running great today!". So, I would say it's a very percentage that have issues. Just drive it and enjoy it!

Welcome to the forum.
Well thank you for the feed back ! Really appreciate it !

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
1 Keep Your DEF tank Full, when 2/3 full add 2.5 gallons to Fill
2 In hot summer months don't let your Fuel Tank drop below 1/4, The fuel is used to cool all HP (High Pressure) injection components. whenever possible Keep fuel tank full if convenient .
3 Use T-6 Rotella oil.
4 Buy command center I prefer Banks IQ, set gages to Read DPF temps and active mode continue to drive until the Active read is complete.. You don't need to always allow completion you just want it to finish the cycle regularly.
5 Remove all the sound insulation and Pump CP4 cover... This is for sound and will effect the life of all HPCR components. Clear coat the entire engine compartment after the Sound insulation is removed
6 Dia-electric every connection including the big Harness under the body. This will take 2-4 hrs for all of them and I mean all form Head lamps to tail lights.
7 Do OAs (oil Sampling) 5-8K miles until the wear levels drop and remain constant It may take 4-6 OAs to know what you got well spent $120 Blackstone.

Attachments

• V6-diesel 3.0 Ecodiesel.jpg
    V6-diesel 3.0 Ecodiesel.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 11

Luis payan

Jul 13, 2016
Truck Year
1 Keep Your DEF tank Full, when 2/3 full add 2.5 gallons to Fill
2 In hot summer months don't let your Fuel Tank drop below 1/4, The fuel is used to cool all HP (High Pressure) injection components. whenever possible Keep fuel tank full if convenient .
3 Use T-6 Rotella oil.
4 Buy command center I prefer Banks IQ, set gages to Read DPF temps and active mode continue to drive until the Active read is complete.. You don't need to always allow completion you just want it to finish the cycle regularly.
5 Remove all the sound insulation and Pump CP4 cover... This is for sound and will effect the life of all HPCR components. Clear coat the entire engine compartment after the Sound insulation is removed
6 Dia-electric every connection including the big Harness under the body. This will take 2-4 hrs for all of them and I mean all form Head lamps to tail lights.
7 Do OAs (oil Sampling) 5-8K miles until the wear levels drop and remain constant It may take 4-6 OAs to know what you got well spent $120 Blackstone.
Thank you so much for the tips !!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
I don't understand about keeping DEF tank full. Could you explain why? Thanks.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DEF is 33% Urea and 67% deionized water..Urea is not New to Me We have used it for many years for other purposes. In winter months you has a heater in the DEF tank... This heater must thaw the DEF it gets warm to hot with small amounts of DEF are left to freeze the element may create idea temps to cause separation, Back in 2007 when DEF system deployed in America many makers experienced element failures what they found was the urea gather together in clunks causing the elements to burn out and plugged DEF injectors.

We have customers leave their equipment sit for months with only 1-2 gallons in the DEF tanks during winter months, problems develop in the spring when they wake up the equipment for the season operation... Full DEF Tanks Rarely cause problems 1-2 gallon almost always show it ugly head.
I also think no matter how well you seal the tank moisture will form on the inner wall repeatedly with small amounts left in the DEF tank.

u130747

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Hmmmm. I am in south texas. Think we had two days last year it got into thirties. How cold does it have to be to get this DEF heater to operate. If it is below freezing I probably won't leave the house anyway. Do you know what temp DEF freezes.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
12-14F, If you want to conduct your own test just take some DEF place it in clear plastic bottle, then put it in freezer, after a few hrs remove and unthaw with hair dryer. Do this like 10 times, the 11 time just let it thaw on its own .