• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It happened, my 2018 ecodiesel engine blown up

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well, it happened. Just under 150K the engine failed. A five years old truck! Well maintained, oil changed at the dealership in between 7 to 8k. Waiting for two recalls because the parts are not available.
I was a defendant of the ecodiesel, it was great even though all the rumors, 'till now.
What to do? 20 grand to replace the engine, warranty was up at 100k and the dealer basically said we know about those engines blowing up but you on your own? WTF
Looking for any advice on how to fight it, any similar stories? Please let me know.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
There are less cost alternatives... Than trade it off. You can fight. Some have been successful, with Fiat covering 50%.

Rumors, C'mon most of the sources are reliable, More like denial...

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
There are less cost alternatives... Than trade it off. You can fight. Some have been successful, with Fiat covering 50%.

Rumors, C'mon most of the sources are reliable, More like denial...
Any ideas on how to fight it? Perhaps an action class lawsuit that I can add on?
Right, more denial than rumors.

Steam

Jul 31, 2023
Truck Year
Hi JTC,
You’re not alone, my 2018 failed yesterday, threw a rod, only 70k miles and well maintained, never towed or abused. Pretty disappointed.

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi JTC,
You’re not alone, my 2018 failed yesterday, threw a rod, only 70k miles and well maintained, never towed or abused. Pretty disappointed.
It has to be a way to get a compensation from the manufacturer, they know about those engines blowing up.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
My ecodiesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee failed 4 years old. Same as rams but smaller oil capacity. Never towed. Drove responsibly. Best oil available used (amsoil signature) and changed well before recommended intervals. Rod bearing failure at 52000miles. Just started coming apart driving 30mph when it happened. The detuning recall was terrible right after purchasing it with the lag. What is this the 1950s? What engine fails under 150000 miles anymore?. I spent extra to get something to last 15 years not 4 years. And mopar parts has not window of when an engine will be delivered to dealership. Delivery date for engine has been moved every month. From April to August and no eta. If you cant replace the engine or engine is shipped cheap so it is sitting in a warehouse until truck gets full is not an excuse. They have no workaround and dealership and regional parts person say they cant do anything. Will be a 20000$ warranty bill. Do they have to replace in a certain amount of time legally? At least I have a free loaner but it doesn’t have the same abilities as my jeep did. Thoughts? What are failure rates? I heard line bore is off and crank is flexing until failures. Very difficult engine to assemble with consistency from watching videos.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
It has to be a way to get a compensation from the manufacturer, they know about those engines blowing up.
Hope you get your replacement. I have been waiting since april 23 to aug 23 and still no engine. Make sure you get a loaner at least from the dealer. Hopefully you get your engine quicker than mine. Sorry about your luck too. Hard to trust any Stelantis product after this poor reliability and failures that should have been tested prior to release. This is why they changed oil from 30 to 40w and detuned engine and yet they still failed. They should have bought all these back and no sold them.

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
Hi JTC,
Reading all these forums. It has to be the highest failure rate of any engine in past 20 years of any manufacturer. Just completely unacceptable on a $55000-60000 plus vehicle especially a diesel.

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hope you get your replacement. I have been waiting since april 23 to aug 23 and still no engine. Make sure you get a loaner at least from the dealer. Hopefully you get your engine quicker than mine. Sorry about your luck too. Hard to trust any Stelantis product after this poor reliability and failures that should have been tested prior to release. This is why they changed oil from 30 to 40w and detuned engine and yet they still failed. They should have bought all these back and no sold them.
My ecodiesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee failed 4 years old. Same as rams but smaller oil capacity. Never towed. Drove responsibly. Best oil available used (amsoil signature) and changed well before recommended intervals. Rod bearing failure at 52000miles. Just started coming apart driving 30mph when it happened. The detuning recall was terrible right after purchasing it with the lag. What is this the 1950s? What engine fails under 150000 miles anymore?. I spent extra to get something to last 15 years not 4 years. And mopar parts has not window of when an engine will be delivered to dealership. Delivery date for engine has been moved every month. From April to August and no eta. If you cant replace the engine or engine is shipped cheap so it is sitting in a warehouse until truck gets full is not an excuse. They have no workaround and dealership and regional parts person say they cant do anything. Will be a 20000$ warranty bill. Do they have to replace in a certain amount of time legally? At least I have a free loaner but it doesn’t have the same abilities as my jeep did. Thoughts? What are failure rates? I heard line bore is off and crank is flexing until failures. Very difficult engine to assemble with consistency from watchi
My ecodiesel in my Jeep Grand Cherokee failed 4 years old. Same as rams but smaller oil capacity. Never towed. Drove responsibly. Best oil available used (amsoil signature) and changed well before recommended intervals. Rod bearing failure at 52000miles. Just started coming apart driving 30mph when it happened. The detuning recall was terrible right after purchasing it with the lag. What is this the 1950s? What engine fails under 150000 miles anymore?. I spent extra to get something to last 15 years not 4 years. And mopar parts has not window of when an engine will be delivered to dealership. Delivery date for engine has been moved every month. From April to August and no eta. If you cant replace the engine or engine is shipped cheap so it is sitting in a warehouse until truck gets full is not an excuse. They have no workaround and dealership and regional parts person say they cant do anything. Will be a 20000$ warranty bill. Do they have to replace in a certain amount of time legally? At least I have a free loaner but it doesn’t have the same abilities as my jeep did. Thoughts? What are failure rates? I heard line bore is off and crank is flexing until failures. Very difficult engine to assemble with consistency from watching videos.
Sorry to hear but at least you have warranty, I'm not so, no free loaner or anything. 20k for the engine at the dealer, 45 days to get the engine (they say).

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
JTCRacing:
What was the problem?
How the engine failed?
I have 120K on mine and need to be aware.
I have no idea, I was just driving on the highway and suddenly the truck lost power and the engine started to make a knocking noise and that was it. No lights in the dash, no low oil pressure on the gauge, however the dealer said that it was a low oil pressure and a crank bearing went loosing a rod. They never opened the engine... it seems that they know exactly what it's happening with those engines...
The truck was well maintained, no heavy loads on it, oil change at 7 to 8k at the dealership.

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Reading all these forums. It has to be the highest failure rate of any engine in past 20 years of any manufacturer. Just completely unacceptable on a $55000-60000 plus vehicle especially a diesel.
We all affected should get together and file a class action law suit. FCA is just making more extra money selling new engines instead of fixing the problem and sell a good quality reliable truck.

Last edited:

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
Sounds similar to mine everything you said. Hopefully not far from home. Mine was on way to work not a far trip thankfully . Class action has to be close. I am getting no where just waiting under warranty for replacement engine. No delivery date for engine.

jgump95

Aug 19, 2023
Truck Year
EXTENDED WARRANTY
FCA will provide an extended warranty for each eligible vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification.
The extended warranty period is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles
on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage
of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first.

JTCRacing

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
EXTENDED WARRANTY
FCA will provide an extended warranty for each eligible vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification.
The extended warranty period is the greater of (i) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 actual miles
on the vehicle odometer, whichever comes first; and (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage
of installing the Approved Emissions Modification on the vehicle, whichever comes first.
It seems that my truck is not eligible for it. I just checked with the VIN #

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
It seems that my truck is not eligible for it. I just checked with the VIN #

If you have to pay or wait on your own this guy seems to have a good plan but if your truck is in the shop you may not be able to use the above route but i like what this guy is upgrading. If not under warranty and least you may be able to keep your engine and send to this guy or as a core maybe??

jcbanks34

Aug 3, 2022
Truck Year
We all affected should get together and file a class action law suit. FCA is just making more extra money selling new engines instead of fixing the problem and sell a good quality reliable truck.
I have a 2015 ecodiesel with a blown motor! Please let me know if anyone starts a class action cause I want in!!!!!!
Thanks!!!

spaside52

Sep 29, 2023
Truck Year
My 2018 just suffered the cat eng fail at 35k. Wondering, shouldn't the on board computer track oil changes? I've kept them all up but at a few different places. So far no one has asked. The dealer is working on an estimate but spitballed 20k. It sounds like they might not dig too far into root cause, but suggests lower main bearing. Promising early interactions with Stellantis, but with uaw strike and comments above its clear there's no quick fix.

I worry about reliability of a replacement engine. Wondering if anyone has traded in with truck still in shop. I also see the hemi is going away next year. WTH?

Thanks
Andrew

Ecodiesel18

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
The app used to be a good place to store oil changes but mopar/jeep discontinued to most of mine were lost but i screenshotted them and was needed for warranty proof of oil changes but i also had receipts for oil and oil filter.