• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It's Official! EGR Recall notice to me from NHTSA

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
Got this email this morning, nothing from FCA yet

October 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V757000
EGR Cooler May Crack and Cause Fire
Combustion in the intake manifold can increase the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V757000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 107,979
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2019 Ram 1500 and 1500 Classic Pickup trucks equipped with 3.0L Eco Diesel engines. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.
Remedy
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact 1-Chrysler customer service at 800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
6 Affected Products
Vehicle
MAKEMODELYEAR
RAM15002014-2019
4 Associated Documents

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
yea that is going around alot right now only 1 problem no parts the cooler is backordered

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Well that's interesting (said the new, recent Dodge Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel owner...). it sounds like maybe they are trying to design/deploy a BETTER or improved EGR cooler (?), or will they require periodic inspection for replacement with existing design (regardless of status of your factory warranty). Second - I really, really hope this is purely a mechanical upgrade only and they leave the ECM programming alone.

Edit/Update 10/31 - I see there is discussion about "what will replacement be" on another thread also...

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
What about all those that tuned or removed the EGR?

If removed obviously you are not going to deal with this recall. If tuned out but there you still want nothing to do with it but now there's an issue. You leave it alone, it burns through and maybe you have insurance or warranty issues because you refuse to have it done. You have it done and your tune is probably going to be altered to allow the darn thing to operate.

Without the same tuning company in operation you are behind one then.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
if the egr is deleted or removed their is no chance of fire [no heat running through the intake manifold]

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
Already had mine replaced a month ago...
I had mine replaced 20k miles ago but the replacements suffer from the same bad design so we're not safe from another failure.

Ramaniac

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Wonder if this is a moot point if a person had the Green Diesel Module installed?

Eneg

Nov 12, 2018
Truck Year
No it's not a moot point. The material they used plus the heat combined with anti freeze will eventually corrode and eat the the specific metal they originally used. The tune will only lengthen the time before the metal deteriorates and leaks.

Ramaniac

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
Thank you for your reply. Guess I’ll have to do the ole swaparoo and get this taken care of eventually.

kwaropay

Apr 22, 2019
Truck Year
Wonder if this is a moot point if a person had the Green Diesel Module installed?

If you’re coolant is leaking from the cracked EGR cooler, then it’s getting vaporized and sucked into your intake manifold.

If you have a stage 1 tune without the EGR removed, you’re probably pushing less vapors into your intake manifold but you’re still at risk for a fire. Read what the recall says about interacting with other hydrocarbons!

You’re also at risk that you will overheat you’re engine if you’re not monitoring the coolant level.

Ramaniac

Mar 13, 2018
Truck Year
I do monitor my coolant level and have seen it drop @ 3/16 of an inch in 15k miles. It’s a fAirly low mileage rig with only 20k on it. Not sure if this is normal coolant usage or not. I would almost think any usage at all is abnormal but I’m not a mechanic.

Reactions: R3S

NC-RAM

Nov 29, 2015
Truck Year
If your original warranty has expired, how will this fire issue still get covered by FCA ?

DaveS

Jan 14, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Already had mine replaced a month ago...
Current part / originial set up is not robust enough to not fail again. FCA doesn’t have the fix yet (12/25 per reliable dealer service manager, yesterday). Even if you’re tuned to not open the EGR valve, b/c valve is on cooled side of EGR cooler, the cooler still sees heat up / cool down cycles so there may be less failure risk but it’s still there.

Parrettr

Aug 27, 2019
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram ecodiesel with 80k kilometres on it consumed about 2.5 litres of coolant in about 1500 - 2000 km with an intermittent check engine soon light is now in the dealership as FCA told me not to drive it. The dealer has no parts to fix it. They gave me a 2020 wrangler Sahara unlimited to drive until it gets fixed. I suspect I will be driving this Jeep for a while.

Jambrose711

Jun 14, 2015
Truck Year
I have been experiencing issues in this area for some time. I've had a ton of issues involving both my coolant system and EGR system. I've been in the shop 7 times with a complaint about a smell of coolant in both the cabin and from the exhaust. To date I've had my EGR valve replaced, EGR cooler replaced and my DEF injector replaced. Recently, a co-worker noticed I was spraying a considerable amount of coolant from my exhaust. I didn't need to be informed as I could feel the sluggish loss of power behind my pedal. I started noticing spots of dust collecting on my tailgate. As it turns out, the coolant was spraying all over my tailgate and after driving down a dusty road it would collect. Over the year I've had to add about a quart of coolant every 5 to 6 weeks. I have been to 13 Dodge service dealers across the nation and have dealt with Chrysler one on one more then a handful of times. I popped the hood and noticed the hose coming off the radiator had a large amount of dust caking on it. As if the hose was externally saturated in coolant and then dust (i use my ED for a considerable amount of off road work in the oil field). I went to a Dodge service dealer in Bowie, TX and explained the issue. I even told them about the most current recall (my visit was on the 4th of November). I was greeted with the same attitude I've received all across the nation, as if I was the first person they've come across with the Ram ED issues and that I was wrong. Now I'm not mechanically inclined beyond basic servicing but 140,000 miles behind the wheel of this truck with all the issues I've had, I've learned a thing or two. They apparently were not aware of the newest coolant recall. After a bit of arguing, the service advisor printed off the vehicle recall records to prove his point and there it was, as of November 1st they had it in the system. However, as you all are aware...nothing can be done about it. So what am i to do? With an obvious coolant leak, increasing coolant temperatures and a loss of power, sooner rather then later I would be a perfect candidate to experience said combustion issue. They pressure tested the system and found no issues. I argued for 10 minutes they needed to take a second look. The following day I got another call and the same response. I said I'd be by later that day to pick it up. Around 4pm I get another call from the service advisor saying "Sir, we found a considerable amount of coolant underneath your vehicle, we believe you may have a leak". I was just baffled! Yea, no kidding! They claimed there was some corrosion on a bracket that caused it. This said bracket had been replaced before and they suggested I take it to the dealer that serviced it for warranty work. At over 1100 miles away, that wasn't an option. I imagine FCA is just holding out at all cost to see what settlements they'll face after the large class action suit under way. There isn't a part from the rear back up camera to the front parking sensors that hasn't failed. For those of you that are new to the ED's and are excited about your boastful fuel mileage, I apologize but you bought a piece of junk which will later cost you a lot of money. In conclusion I will say one thing about Chrysler, it has taken many back and forth phone calls, multiple cases opened and closed but 95% of my issues have been fixed after multiple visits out of warranty and then later reimbursed. I have even gone as far as having them reimburse rental vehicles, fuel, the unused wifi in the truck and yes even THREE whole truck payments. The customer service end has not failed me yet.

Tomphot

Nov 25, 2019
Truck Year
I have been experiencing issues in this area for some time. I've had a ton of issues involving both my coolant system and EGR system. I've been in the shop 7 times with a complaint about a smell of coolant in both the cabin and from the exhaust. To date I've had my EGR valve replaced, EGR cooler replaced

If your truck has spent more than 30 days at the dealer sue to one of the items that is covered by the AEM extended warranty, you qualify for a buyback from FCA. Have you considered going that route?

Parrettr

Aug 27, 2019
Truck Year
If your truck has spent more than 30 days at the dealer sue to one of the items that is covered by the AEM extended warranty, you qualify for a buyback from FCA. Have you considered going that route?
FCA just called me to pick up my Ram. In the shop. They replaced the EGR cooler with a new one. They said they will contact me when the new designed part comes available. My experience has been positive with my dealer and FCA corporate. I will be returning my Sahara (rental) on Thursday. I suggest you contact FCA corporate and find a new dealership.

Antyk

May 5, 2020
Truck Year
Early November 19 I had warning lights, over temp etc. Lost all power, and even though the engine would run the safety mechanisms wouldn't allow the truck to move. Anyway got towed to local dealer CarRight in Moon, PA. After this and that they told me it would not be covered (under the class-action suit mandated extended warranty) because I had a dirty fuel filter. Owner Negligence. Took that up with FCA and they stand by the dealership service manager. With a little help from a friend I managed to do some work that allows me to drive without the EGR. I just got notified to schedule getting my EGR replaced... seriously, if I hadn't done the work I would have been without a vehicle for 6 months. And I wouldn't buy a cup of water from that dealership if my head was on fire.
I saw the ownership of the dealership has changed. But I think it's still the same GM, SM, and service writer.

Antyk

May 5, 2020
Truck Year
I should mention, the CarRight Dodge in Moon, PA asked for receipts for fuel filter changes. Since the manual on the ecodiesel specifies changing the fuel filter every 20k miles-two oil changes. When I couldn't give them receipts is when they logged into the FCA national service system "owner negligence". When I called my old shop to ask if they might be able to help, they were willing to, until they punched my VIN in and then said they couldn't touch it. So just saying, if you have to see your dealership over this egr issue, make sure you can provide some evidence that you've changed the fuel filters according to the service schedule.