• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

January 2020 Poll: Would you purchase your EcoDiesel again?

Would you buy a EcoDiesel again?

• Yes - I have had the emissions recall done

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Yes - I have NOT had the emissions recall done

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • No - I have had the emissions recall done

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No - I have NOT had the emissions recall done

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I did this poll a number of years ago, and thanks to the suggestion from @Bagman51 I figured it's a good time to get some updated numbers.

I'm including the option to specify around the Emissions recall.. as I think that has affected some members opinion as a lot of owners are not happy post recall.

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
I don't feel right about answering this poll because of my circumstances, but I will add my 2 cents.

I liked my 2014 ED really well, but traded it off for another truck "Long Story"and immediately realized how much I liked my '14 ED & wanted it back. I waited for the ecodiesel to be offered in the new body style before I bought another ED & I ordered a 2020 as soon as they were available.

You can count me as someone who would buy another ecodiesel and has, only it's gen-3 engine that I'm very happy with it at this point.

Bagman51

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
Every bit of information has value. Yours is most welcome, and I thank you.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Well I have a caveat also. I voted yes - had the emissions recall done (but promptly overwrote the recall! :))

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 16 and have the update, replaced the EGR cooler already. Love the truck, I keep an eye on the DIC while it's operating.

Bagman51

Jan 14, 2020
Truck Year
I would have expected more responses to this poll, based on complaints in the forums. Now I am really on the fence about buying one!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I would have expected more responses to this poll, based on complaints in the forums. Now I am really on the fence about buying one!
I would have reservations about buying used unless I know the owner and it's history. If buying new, eh, chances are better you'll never have a major problem than not. And if you do, that's what that 5/100 warranty is for. The new ones are super sharp! Look to Canada for a tune as soon as they come out and don't look back!

colin

Oct 20, 2018
Truck Year
even though I have not had problems with my 2017 it seems that there a continuing problems and parts not available to fix them. I probably would not by another eco even though I like my truck

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

Yep, people are sure quick to sign up and complain but when the times comes to get some data, crickets!!

Hopefully we'll get some more feedback in the coming few weeks.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Caveat! I would not have bought my 2014 if it ran like it did post AEM. It ran great before, a little weak towing 5K to 6K but normal driving great. Post AEM horrible. Within two weeks went with GDE, better than original, especially towing, same tow with no issues. My only real reoccurring issue is the cruise control intermittent no go.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
Though I love my truck, I wouldn’t purchase an Eco Diesel again. For a little more, you can find great deals on a used 4th Gen Cummins, etc. There are too many design flaws in this engine that, quite frankly, have yet to be addressed.

Camel

Oct 31, 2019
Truck Year
I really do like everything about the truck, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb. I really wish I could just relax and just enjoy the truck.

-STIGLITZ-

Nov 17, 2019
Truck Year
I really do like everything about the truck, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb. I really wish I could just relax and just enjoy the truck.
^Nail on the head! Just can’t relax in the damn thing lol.

MacAttack

Feb 6, 2020
This is very helpful! I hope more people answer the poll. As someone debating between 1/2 ton diesels and 3/4 ton (really like the Dodge, but not totally committed). I am pretty shocked at the number of issues with the EcoDiesel and I am really wondering if it is worth the potential headache and $$$.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
This is very helpful! I hope more people answer the poll. As someone debating between 1/2 ton diesels and 3/4 ton (really like the Dodge, but not totally committed). I am pretty shocked at the number of issues with the EcoDiesel and I am really wondering if it is worth the potential headache and $$$.
I do not want to sound like I have my head in the sand or a hater on diesels but if you research all diesels in pickup trucks using the SCR/DEF particulate exhaust system you will find that ALL are having issues when driven in Daily Driver Stop & Go activities. There are a few issues that are unique to the Eco with the intake manifold fires from the EGR cooler leak as one. All engine fires should be turned into the NHTSA. With that being said informed decision making is the best way to pick the vehicle of choice. If you are waffling between the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton it may be due to the weight you intend to pull or carry, if that is a concern, as toyhauler pulling 7K and a little above, you would do well to err on the 3/4 ton side. I pull occasionally and as a mechanic with machine shop capability, also a driving style which entails large chunks of highway time, I have confidence in my 1/2 ton. But my wife and I agree, if we eventually pull heavier we will upgrade to the RAM 3/4 ton. Mainly due to the history of the Cummins diesel.

MacAttack

Feb 6, 2020
I do not want to sound like I have my head in the sand or a hater on diesels but if you research all diesels in pickup trucks using the SCR/DEF particulate exhaust system you will find that ALL are having issues when driven in Daily Driver Stop & Go activities. There are a few issues that are unique to the Eco with the intake manifold fires from the EGR cooler leak as one. All engine fires should be turned into the NHTSA. With that being said informed decision making is the best way to pick the vehicle of choice. If you are waffling between the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton it may be due to the weight you intend to pull or carry, if that is a concern, as toyhauler pulling 7K and a little above, you would do well to err on the 3/4 ton side. I pull occasionally and as a mechanic with machine shop capability, also a driving style which entails large chunks of highway time, I have confidence in my 1/2 ton. But my wife and I agree, if we eventually pull heavier we will upgrade to the RAM 3/4 ton. Mainly due to the history of the Cummins diesel.

Right now, it would mainly be a daily driver. I do tow a trailer sometimes when hauling firewood. I will occasionally tow a boat in the summer. I do want a cab over camper down the road, but I am not sure that would be this rig or the next. My original plan was to buy the 1/2 diesel now and in 5 years or so buy a 3/4 ton for the cab over camper. Right now, I tow fine with my 2002 Chevy Silverado with 236K miles on it.

rcupps

Jan 2, 2020
Truck Year
Yep, people are sure quick to sign up and complain but when the times comes to get some data, crickets!!

Hopefully we'll get some more feedback in the coming few weeks.
I just saw the poll? Never got any notice on it. I would say no one on here knows it's here.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I will comment that will heat things Up, My Guess it will be 55% would buy trucks again until 100K then its gone, 45% will buy again and keep.