• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaking Oil From Timeing Chain Gasket & Beyond..

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Morning all, well the new engine has roughly 13K miles on it and has run like a champion, and fuel mileage has been for the most part right on the money. I've averaged 17.5 to 19 in the city and 27 to 28.5 Hwy. I use EDT 2 oz, each fuel up as well as diesel extreme every 6 months. (Truck is under full warranty and is a 2015 Limited)

Here's my problem, I noticed (3) drops of oil on the floor of my garage back in June. I had it checked out and it was determined the gasket for the timing chain had a very slight leak. It was replaced (a day and a half repair). Truck continued to run like a champ. It's now Nov 4th and the oil drops are back. I took it in and they found a leak in the "rear" part of the engine, they added some dye and I'm scheduled for Monday morning drop off for the repair. The guy at the service counter said something about something that when the engine was installed it may have been bumped in that area... Needless to say that didn't instill a lot of confidence...

I guess what I'm trying to say is should I be worried more than the usual heart palpitations? am I about to set course on a voyage to hell and back? any input sure would be greatly appreciated..

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Well the truck was dropped off on Monday morning at 8:00 am. I was given a 2017 Pacifica with 1500 miles on it to use while repair is being done. I no sooner walked in the door at home and I was called by the dealership, turns out there lot person while backing the truck up broke my passenger mirror. Well it's now Wednesday morning and I haven't heard from the dealership. I'm going on a road trip 1000 miles each way on Friday, I'll wait until Thursday afternoon to tell them this if the truck isn't done. I just want the truck repaired properly!
I'm still worried about the location of the oil leak and accessibility.

Last edited:

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Well the truck was dropped off on Monday morning at 8:00 am. I was given a 2017 Pacifica with 1500 miles on it to use while repair is being done. I no sooner walked in the door at home and I was called by the dealership, turns out there lot person while backing the truck up broke my passenger mirror. Well it's now Wednesday morning and I haven't heard from the dealership. I'm going on a road trip 1000 miles each way on Friday, I'll wait until Thursday afternoon to tell them this if the truck isn't done. I just want the truck repaired properly!
I'm still worried about the location of the oil leak and accessibility.
Good Dealer makes all the difference to quality repair and care. Good Luck.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
They have the truck engine almost completely removed and up on a lift. The service guy told me originally that the repair is going the be about 3 day's, yesterday afternoon about 4:30 I called to get a status update and didn't like what I heard. Now I'm being told it's going to need nearly a week more for the repair due to the holiday and it being deer season. They told me to go ahead and use the 2017 Pacifica for my 2000+ mile trip. The dealership assured me the diesel tech knows what he is doing and has years of experience....

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds like the tech with years of experience needs more experience, or possibly the service writer is just very bad at there job.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Sounds like the tech with years of experience needs more experience, or possibly the service writer is just very bad at there job.
I went to the dealership and retrieved some items for my road trip. I spoke with the mechanic myself and he was more than accommodating, he showed me my engine and pointed out my turbo (located on the back side of the engine) leaking oil. He advised me they located 1 turbo in the country and it's coming from Oregon. He also pointed out the head gasket was weeping a bit of oil, he told me this is all warranty work and since the cab has been hoisted off the frame they are going to perform all the repairs now. I feel much more comfortable after talking with him than the guy at the service desk.. I'll probably know more by Monday following Thanksgiving.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
**UPDATE**
It's not good guy's! to recap, I dropped the truck off at dealership on 11/16 for warranty work on the engine. The turbo was determined to be leaking a small amount of oil. They also found the head gasket weeping oil as well, being that this is warranty work they went ahead and ordered the parts. The dealership found (1) turbo stateside in Oregon and had it sent to Wisconsin. The head gasket is another major issue, The mechanic who has nearly 40 years of turning a wrench can't get the injectors out! according to him he has been on the phone FCA multiple times and he (doesn't) speak highly of them They are locked in and the best FCA could offer to him was to spray some oil to loosen them up. The mechanic hung up on them so I'm told. TWO WEEKS have now passed and my truck is in 2 pieces! The service manager said they may have to replace the head or heads now. My questions is this, how the heck does a brand new engine with 12K miles on it have so many problems???

I've contacted the vice president of the dealership and expressed my extreme disappointment, I told him I would like to transfer out of the truck. My dealership has a 2016 Ram 2500 with a cummins with 12,500 on it. I'm a disabled Jar Head on a fixed income they I would think could make this possible. I'm sure they could work the numbers so my payment would be the same.. Any input would be helpful about now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
When Injectors are impossible to remove in most cases the piston(s) are compromised.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Alright aside from the obvious that I will in all likelihood need legal representation, here are the facts which have come to light.
1. I purchased this 2015 Limited in Oct of 2016 with 25K on the odometer. I was told by the dealership that the truck had just had a new engine installed. They even showed me the jacket of paperwork documenting the truck had sustained a major engine failure and FCA authorized a new engine.
2. Turns out the engine wasn't replaced and had been pulled apart and rebuilt in a most shabby manner according to the mechanic. The repairs (were not done) at my dealership...
3. In the past year I've had the timing belt gasket replaced.
Residual oil in the engine coolant.
A bad turbo.
Weeping head gasket, and now injector issues.

I'm feeling screwed blued and tattooed. I simply want to get out of this nightmare and into another truck. The dealership has been helpful they offered to get me into another truck at the price I paid, but shouldn't they also reimburse me the sales tax and the extended warranty that I picked up as well? I would use that anyway towards the down payment. Oh yea, I also filed a claim with FCA not that it will do any good. Any advice or guidance sure would be most helpful! and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
O I hear YA, I'm glad to see the dealership is working with Ya, If its molested Power plant relieve your self of ownership ASAP, Is it possible to transfer or be reimbursed for the extended warranty? Just keep the heat on for the $$$ and see were it leads. Save yourself the misery Stay off the 1500diesel.com ... The majority of the Mods and members are clueless on events like yours , THEY WILL JUST STATE MY BELOVED ED IS PERFECT.so you must be the problem.

W.D.H.

Nov 9, 2016
Truck Year
Well after going back and forth with the dealership they agreed to put me in a 2017 (New) Laramie keeping me at the same monthly shake down as before. It took quite a bit of effort on the dealership to make me satisfied. The dealership is fat with new Ecodiesels and the last thing they wanted was for me to create waves.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Good, Put the 17 on a healthy diet of OAs so you know what You have. Should look like this.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL-170806.pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 22

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
At 3K miles than at 6-10K miles until you have establish trends , and than every 20K miles.

Oconomowoc

Jan 22, 2018
Truck Year
Can you recommend when I should perform the OA?
What’s an OA? I just bought a 2017 Laramie. I have 500 miles on the engine, so far it’s light years better than my Silverado and F150 but you guys are scaring the hell out of me. Everyone is having problems, big problems. I worked in the Automotive Industry for over 30 years and I know how valuable buyer loyalty and selling the illusion of a high quality’s product. Does Dodge Ram Monitor these sites and respond in a way to smooth my ragged nerves? Here’s a guy that evidently was mislead on the status of his engine when he bought it and now has it worked on by a mechanic who’s not up to speed. Where’s the corporate guy to say contact me, let’s get this figured out? The F150 and GM guys have them on their sites. The truck, I’m loving it. The company, I’m getting a sinking feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
What’s an OA? I just bought a 2017 Laramie. I have 500 miles on the engine, so far it’s light years better than my Silverado and F150 but you guys are scaring the hell out of me. Everyone is having problems, big problems. I worked in the Automotive Industry for over 30 years and I know how valuable buyer loyalty and selling the illusion of a high quality’s product. Does Dodge Ram Monitor these sites and respond in a way to smooth my ragged nerves? Here’s a guy that evidently was mislead on the status of his engine when he bought it and now has it worked on by a mechanic who’s not up to speed. Where’s the corporate guy to say contact me, let’s get this figured out? The F150 and GM guys have them on their sites. The truck, I’m loving it. The company, I’m getting a sinking feeling.

Just do OAs and simple maintenance and you will be fine, Established OAs Trends will give advance warnings if its a Hero or Zero.

GS2021

Jun 18, 2021
Truck Year
Not Listed

Fast forward to 2021 and FCA is still having similar issues. Now granted this is Ram forum and my issues are with Jeep brand but at the end of the day it not really about the brands its about the people behind the brand, the leadership and my interactions with FCA now "Stellantis" have been terrible. My case went all the way up to the Executive Team only to receive absolutely no resolution, and not even a courtesy phone call or email. I am talking to a major publication looking to publish an article about Brand Loyalty and Support should be real interesting. You can read about my issues here: