• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Manual Transmission

RickD

Jan 3, 2018
Truck Year
Why doesn't Ram release a 1500 with a manual transmission? If they did, that's for sure what I would have bought. I truly miss shifting gears and actually having to drive a truck instead of just steering it lol. Thoughts?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Why doesn't Ram release a 1500 with a manual transmission? If they did, that's for sure what I would have bought. I truly miss shifting gears and actually having to drive a truck instead of just steering it lol. Thoughts?

It's all about sales. Compare manual trans sales to autos and you'll see why. Automakers want to maximize profit, and having to build cars with different configs (along with engineering, assembly line changes, etc, etc..) just doesn't add up to the money spent I'm sure to create the manual trans alternative.

Rumor is GM is dropping the manual trans from the new diesel Cruze after running it only for a year.. I'm assuming customer demand just wasn't enough.

RickD

Jan 3, 2018
Truck Year
All about sales? When I worked for the local Dodge dealership we couldn't keep manual transmission 2500's on the lot. We'd get one in and it was either sold before it got there, or within days of it getting there

chrisr938

Jan 2, 2018
Truck Year
I probably would have got a manual if it was available, but I think I’m just stubborn and possibly old-fashioned. This truck is my first auto daily driver in right at a decade...

And I love it!

Thank you Ram for not making a manual EcoDiesel!

I still have my CJ-7 with an AMC V8 and 3-speed tranny, so I will make do.

chrisr938

Jan 2, 2018
Truck Year
Back when I drove a VW TDI, they made a manual and I almost got one, but after driving in downtown city traffic I was glad I went with the auto. I guess I'm getting old myself!

We bought my wife an ‘11 VW Golf TDI for her job in nursing that had her driving all over Timbuktu. I wanted a manual, but ultimately it was her car so her decision and she got an auto. The DSG transmission was really snappy and fun to drive in that little car with all that torque. When I got a VW diesel, I went for an older ALH Beetle with a 5-speed. I probably lugged the engine way too much, and I’m confident I would do the same if this pickup had a manual.

Off topic, but her Golf has a catastrophic failure of the high pressure fuel pump at 153k miles and VW fixed it at no cost to us. We would have kept it, but the fuel lines were only flushed (per VW directions) and not replaced and the service manager said they had the most metal in them that he had ever seen. We thanked VW and the dealer and promptly traded the car in the day after it got out of the shop. Couldn’t take the risk.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Off topic, but her Golf has a catastrophic failure of the high pressure fuel pump at 153k miles and VW fixed it at no cost to us. We would have kept it, but the fuel lines were only flushed (per VW directions) and not replaced and the service manager said they had the most metal in them that he had ever seen. We thanked VW and the dealer and promptly traded the car in the day after it got out of the shop. Couldn’t take the risk.

Wise choice.. I sold mine back with 102K miles. Loved that car...