• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engineersaab54

Sep 21, 2019
Truck Year
I bought a one-owner, 2016 RAM 1500 Eco diesel w/34,800 miles on it a couple of months ago. Was loving the truck, until 10/11/19, fortunately only 26 miles from home at the start of a 900 mile trip, got odd engine sound, slight vibrations, high-rev/limp mode, white smoke pouring out from under the hood and out the pipes, and "Service Electronic Throttle Control" warning light. We were almost at an exit, so we "limped" off the freeway. Did not have the presence of mind to check and record engine temps. Thought it was on fire. Have extinguisher in the back, but smoke cleared upon opening the hood. Exhaust pipes are coated w/white dust and tiny white pellets.
After a minute tried to start it to see if SETC light would reset, as per Owner's Manual instructions. Massive white smoke plumes again, so turned it off immediately.
When wrecker arrived (four hours later! - Chrysler roadside assistance was worthless; my own insurance company more responsive but picked the wrong towing company to respond), we were able to start the truck and drive it up onto the tow bed - no smoke. Got to the dealership late Friday afternoon on the 11th. Researched this issue over the weekend, and told the dealer that the fix might involve new injectors, new turbo and EGR cooler, new sensors here and there, etc. Dealer said they had NEVER had to replace injectors at 36,000 miles. $125 for initial tech time.
The following week they cleaned the injectors and replaced a sensor, along with the can it had welded itself into, and updated the software. Mostly covered by warranty, except for $250 for the sensor, or something (don't have the bill, yet). Still limp. Getting a turbo issue code. But "let's change out the fuel filter, first, before we replace the turbo." $175 fuel filter - old filter was at about 75% life used up, if that. Changed the filter - didn't help.
They are replaced the turbo, and the EGR cooler, under warranty, after waiting a week for one of the 1,300 EGR coolers on back order in the United States to arrive. On 11/1, Friday afternoon, they informed me that "all repairs have been completed … but the truck is still in limp mode." They now want to replace a few more sensors. Still under warranty.
Anybody else have this issue accompanied by the smoke under the hood and residue in the pipes?
Anybody have a 'real' fix? Online forums indicate FCA doesn't really have good answers for this, yet, short of replacing the engine. Anybody successfully gotten FCA to replace an engine? I hear the 3rd generation, 2020's are supposed to have all the bugs worked out.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
fmc can not fix the eco diesel they just replace parts and hope they fix it

Ram19

Nov 2, 2019
Truck Year
". Exhaust pipes are coated w/white dust and tiny white pellets."

Sounds like something happened to blow-up the SCR. That's the only place I can think of that might have pellets in it. If those pellets went thorugh the exhaust system, you may have a plugged muffler & the engine can't breath, hence the turbo code. It almost sounds like the dealership doesn't know what they are doing and have the parts shotgun out shooting parts at it until they find the magic one. You may be in for whole new engine & exhaust system.

Engineersaab54

Sep 21, 2019
Truck Year
Am I going to need a lawyer before FCA springs for a new engine and exhaust system? Anybody out there been thru that process?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
they ha e been on backorder much longer before the recall alonge with a lot of other parts

Engineersaab54

Sep 21, 2019
Truck Year
UPDATE: Did not hear back from case manager Friday and she is out all this week. But I DID get my truck back again this afternoon. So far (15 miles), so good! Ha. It seems to be running a little better than when I first bought it, and I thought it was running really well then. But it should - with all those new parts on it!
Will cross my fingers and keep a close eye on the coolant level!

xtrviperxtr

Aug 11, 2023
Truck Year
did your eco ram go like this ?

Attachments

• VID_20230811_180329.mp4
    62.1 MB · Views: 11