• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Metal found in oil filter. How much is too much?

Thunder2Zero

Aug 10, 2019
Truck Year
I have a ‘16 with 118,000 mi and noticed about 20-30 of these small pieces scattered throughout my filter after cutting and inspecting it. GDE non compliant tune sine 40k mi. They are non magnetic. Am i looking at bearing failure? I was unable to see them until i cut the filter apart and spread it out under a light.

Mainly asking because i am about to replace the water pump, turbo coolant line, and intake manifold. Do t really want to go thru the trouble if im about to spin a bearing/rod. I decided to check and change the oil early @ 3800 mi since last change.

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

rodd

Mar 19, 2022
Truck Year
get your oil tested. It will tell you what is in it. My last check I had silica (sand dirt) not much but within spec. After speaking to the oil testing company they said dirt probably fell into the filter housing while changing the oil.