• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Most miles on a EcoDiesel

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm sad to say we do have to set for long periods of time in the cold and in the heat so we did idle our. That was one of the reasons to get a diesel and not a hemi for my dogs comfort . What does it do to them
They just say that "x amount of idle hours is equal to y amount of drive miles" so don't run a full 10k oil change with an additional 100 hours of idle time. I am in Minnesota 10 miles from Canadian Border so I idle a lot as well and it hasn't done me any harm thus far. I change my oil around 7k-8k for comfort regardless.

Sieko is long gone these days he went and got himself a 3/4 ton diesel for his insecurities.

So idling won't HURT you but it IS creating engine wear, obviously the engine is running. So take that into account with your oil change intervals. No biggy

Lynn Thompson

Jun 18, 2017
Truck Year
They just say that "x amount of idle hours is equal to y amount of drive miles" so don't run a full 10k oil change with an additional 100 hours of idle time. I am in Minnesota 10 miles from Canadian Border so I idle a lot as well and it hasn't done me any harm thus far. I change my oil around 7k-8k for comfort regardless.

Sieko is long gone these days he went and got himself a 3/4 ton diesel for his insecurities.

So idling won't HURT you but it IS creating engine wear, obviously the engine is running. So take that into account with your oil change intervals. No biggy
We change ours to about like you too never 10k

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I was shooting at the outdoor range last week (100 + degrees), and my truck ran for about an hour straight while by buddies kids and lady stayed "cool". I'm not afraid to let it run, but I was 100+ miles from home, so I knew it would regen before getting back home in the "city".

Sandy

Feb 6, 2017
Truck Year
Who has seem the most miles on a EcoDiesel? Wondering if anyone has passed 100K yet?
I'm curious to see how well they are going to hold up with the emissions and other newer equipment.

68K miles, mostly towing....no problems whatsoever.....very pleased

sqeeter91

Sep 19, 2016
Truck Year
106000 in 33 months. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I get free oil changes for as long as I own it.Fuel filter every 30K

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
106000 in 33 months. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I get free oil changes for as long as I own it.Fuel filter every 30K

Who changes your oil for free every 5000 miles? That is 1/2 the recommended service interval
What a great deal

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I transport from TT & boat Mfgs to dealerships mostly OH to west coast and back. Change oil (T6) every 15k per oil analysis results & fuel filter every other.IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2428.JPG IMG_2434.JPG IMG_2609.JPG

Reactions: SLT

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Shawn if that's correct spelling or moparecodiesel that posted early in this thread had 190k & 7,000 hours on his just before he passed. I don't know the whereabouts of that truck now.

My buddy Steve had I think 211.000 on his when his health retired him from driving. He also transported Airstreams. It was a white Laramie Longhorn that I don't know the whereabouts of.

My son Gabriel had 200k & 7K hours on his company work truck used for pilot car work for an oversize load company. It normally had 1k pounds in the bed with 100 gallon diesel tank a big truck tire & rim and tools. It was white & I don't know it's whereabouts as that company sold out.

Turning off EGR I think is a key although of the four trucks Steve's was box stock & running no tune. Having someway to read & clear codes for minor issues like a sensor that can be dealt with when convenient is also IMO a practical requirement. In fact I would say that for any high mile or aged computer controlled vehicle. Otherwise you end up in limp mode or getting towed or in your dealership or other repair shop unnecessarily. I use an inexpensive simple two button Bosch OBD 1000 code reader. Some used their Edge. I believe some the Torque pro app & their smart phone.

There was also a motorcycle transporter up in Washington state that was about to turn 200k like 2 years ago. These are the only high mile ones I know of. Maybe Lynn Thompson will give us an update on their EDs.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Shawn if that's correct spelling or moparecodiesel that posted early in this thread had 190k & 7,000 hours on his just before he passed. I don't know the whereabouts of that truck now.

My buddy Steve had I think 211.000 on his when his health retired him from driving. He also transported Airstreams. It was a white Laramie Longhorn that I don't know the whereabouts of.

My son Gabriel had 200k & 7K hours on his company work truck used for pilot car work for an oversize load company. It normally had 1k pounds in the bed with 100 gallon diesel tank a big truck tire & rim and tools. It was white & I don't know it's whereabouts as that company sold out.

Turning off EGR I think is a key although of the four trucks Steve's was box stock & running no tune. Having someway to read & clear codes for minor issues like a sensor that can be dealt with when convenient is also IMO a practical requirement. In fact I would say that for any high mile or aged computer controlled vehicle. Otherwise you end up in limp mode or getting towed or in your dealership or other repair shop unnecessarily. I use an inexpensive simple two button Bosch OBD 1000 code reader. Some used their Edge. I believe some the Torque pro app & their smart phone.

There was also a motorcycle transporter up in Washington state that was about to turn 200k like 2 years ago. These are the only high mile ones I know of. Maybe Lynn Thompson will give us an update on their EDs.

I wish we could put something together that would show what's killing these motors. Guys you've mentioned all have one thing in common, they use theirs A LOT. Perhaps working the motor harder is the key.. I don't know.. most that blow up are just cruising down the interstate from what I've read.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Cbraket It will do a 7K 5er just fine. Keep her down to 65mph and she will return good economy & stay cool. I climb most grades at 55 just limit your sustained climb rpms to 3k. I watch to keep oil & coolant at or below 266 & 244 respectively. Pull your 5er forward as far as you can and load heavier stuff on trailer axles & behind them to keep as much weight off of the truck as you can.

Axle to frame air bags will help with ride & suspension dampening and be money well spent here. Check out Timbergrove. Scaling your load is always best. You want to keep as much weight on the steer axle as you can and keep drive axle to or below 4,300 ideally 3,900. You don't want more than 7,800 combined axles by the scales. CAT has a free app with a locator with gps directions. To scale costs like $12. If you have a Big Horn swapping to an SLT grill helps with air flow for cooling.

I also have a GDE tune to keep a clean engine but the power & or mileage is nice for that type of trip also as is the cruise control improvements. Especially the turbo brake for safe easy drama free speed control when descending a long steep grade with a 7 or 8k trailer pushing you. Between that and your factory trailer brake controller you can descend a grade with that weight and never touch your foot brakes and not heat up any of the brakes. fwiw my original brakes went 293,000.

Tow mirrors are nice here but clip ons also work well. Not a requirement but you might also like some E load tires as they are more stable. For all season hwy I like General Grabber or Michelin Defenders in 265/60/20.

Last edited: