• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MPG ratings, have you seen this

issanni

Sep 26, 2016
Truck Year
I just stumbled across this chart for the EcoDiesel today....found it interesting.

Fuel Economy Est-Combined
22, 19 MPG 17.0 min 22.0 max
EPA Fuel Economy Est - City
19, 16 MPG 15.0 min 19.0 max
EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy
27, 23 MPG 21.0 min 27.0 max

This was when I used a VIN decoder and started looking at the specs. This explains my 23mpg hwy average over a long period of time.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I just stumbled across this chart for the EcoDiesel today....found it interesting.

Fuel Economy Est-Combined
22, 19 MPG 17.0 min 22.0 max
EPA Fuel Economy Est - City
19, 16 MPG 15.0 min 19.0 max
EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy
27, 23 MPG 21.0 min 27.0 max

This was when I used a VIN decoder and started looking at the specs. This explains my 23mpg hwy average over a long period of time.
Yep my four wheel drive model summer time avg. 23mpg, highway 25 to 27mpg, winter time is 22mpg avg. 22mpg highway, go figure!

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
And this is why I just joined this web site ! To ask how is it that other trucks are reporting 27 -31 mpg. I can't break 22

Hundo

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
I get 22 in town and 28 on hey, 3:92 rear end. You can't drive them like a hemi

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
And this is why I just joined this web site ! To ask how is it that other trucks are reporting 27 -31 mpg. I can't break 22
Like BoostN said a lot of factors play in. I found, as did a friend of mine with a 2016, that the short runs yield low mileage, we share a similar drive pattern to our Duty Station, about 40min. or 32 miles with a mix of residential, arterial road, and highway which yielded him about 22 and me 23mpg. My best mileage, 25 to 27mpg, has been on the long runs, Tulsa to Allen TX and back on one tank. His Tulsa to Little Rock AR yielding 27.5mpg for him. So many things factor in. I noticed in the rain I drop mileage! I also have found that my computer is about 1 mpg pessimistic. I just pulled my fuel consumption report for June this year and it shows my high of 24.2 mpg and a low of 20.5 mpg when my computer never showed higher than 23.2 mpg. I can document a drop of about 1mpg with my change in tires.
Oh and heaven forbid when my wife gets in the truck from her Charger, just warm up the Fuel Card. She drives it like she stole it and loves every minute of it.

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
Like BoostN said a lot of factors play in. I found, as did a friend of mine with a 2016, that the short runs yield low mileage, we share a similar drive pattern to our Duty Station, about 40min. or 32 miles with a mix of residential, arterial road, and highway which yielded him about 22 and me 23mpg. My best mileage, 25 to 27mpg, has been on the long runs, Tulsa to Allen TX and back on one tank. His Tulsa to Little Rock AR yielding 27.5mpg for him. So many things factor in. I noticed in the rain I drop mileage! I also have found that my computer is about 1 mpg pessimistic. I just pulled my fuel consumption report for June this year and it shows my high of 24.2 mpg and a low of 20.5 mpg when my computer never showed higher than 23.2 mpg. I can document a drop of about 1mpg with my change in tires.
Oh and heaven forbid when my wife gets in the truck from her Charger, just warm up the Fuel Card. She drives it like she stole it and loves every minute of it.

I bought one of the last new 2016's 5 months ago because I didn't want to wait on EPA and saved $10,000. It is a 4x2 Laramie Crew Cab 5'7" Box. I have 10,000 miles mostly on 4 lane highways with 55 and 65 MPH speed limits and several small towns. I bought the truck and a 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailer for moving 300 miles (5 round trips). Last night my wife drove the truck (no trailer) 300 miles in South GA, few hills and the computer showed 30.7 average MPG. She actually saw better MPG at 65. The computer has been within 1/2 MPG. The best I have done is 29.7 without the trailer. Pulling the trailer empty (2000 pounds) or full (7000 pounds) I get 17.7 MPG at 55 and 17.0 at 65 with moderate hills. I love my truck for the MPG and towing. On the hills I might slow down 1 MPH but it is back on speed before the top of the hill. I hauled a Triumph Stag (car) on a car hauler and got 22.3 MPG. I pray it lasts. By the way, I am getting 1,500 MPG on DEF.

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
Way
cool !

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
Way cool ! Thanks for your reply
My roads are smooth my hair is even smaller just can't put that 22 barrier wanted to find out if it was oil thing or what pretty cool-year-old lady likes to drive your truck more than her car

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
My hair ? Typo sorry , roads are smooth highways are smoother just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong thank you for your response

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
My hair ? Typo sorry , roads are smooth highways are smoother just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong thank you for your response
Hi Chuck,

You didn't describe your ride so let me ask the obvious. Are you talking about a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel or a 2500/3500 Cummings diesel? 22 MPG sounds like the Cummings.

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 2015 1500 Ecodiesel and I have a 2016 1500 Ecodiesel , yes two , liked the one then went crazy over the Red long horn, never said I was that bright :)) lol , your comment is why I'm frustrated with my echo diesels what am I doing wrong thanks for any positive input.

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
Only had my 2016 for 5 months. MPG's right on EPA estimates out of the dealer. If you bought used you may want to take it to the dealer and make sure maintenance is current.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Way cool ! Thanks for your reply
My roads are smooth my hair is even smaller just can't put that 22 barrier wanted to find out if it was oil thing or what pretty cool-year-old lady likes to drive your truck more than her car
Yes we both love the square footage interior, she loves the ride and is still amazed at how the diesel runs, she still has a time with the acreage needed to put in a parking slot. My ED has become the vacation travel vehicle over her Charger, which has been the favorite the last several years due to the 33mpg+ highway, but creature comfort won out on our Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn. Just turned over 50K.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
OH forgot to mention anything over 70mph is a total drag on fuel mileage. 60 to 68mph seems to be my sweet spot for mpg.

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
Yes we both love the square footage interior, she loves the ride and is still amazed at how the diesel runs, she still has a time with the acreage needed to put in a parking slot. My ED has become the vacation travel vehicle over her Charger, which has been the favorite the last several years due to the 33mpg+ highway, but creature comfort won out on our Crew Cab Laramie Longhorn. Just turned over 50K.
Nice ! Good for you guys

Chuck Poz

Aug 4, 2017
Truck Year
Nice ! Good for you guys
I just need to figure out how to get that mileage you're getting I got 355 beers I drive like an old lady still stuck at 22 miles per gallon I'm thinking about aftermarket air filter change in the oil ? Anything to help and yes my wife is offered to steal my truck away from me she said it's way too nice

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
I just need to figure out how to get that mileage you're getting I got 355 beers I drive like an old lady still stuck at 22 miles per gallon I'm thinking about aftermarket air filter change in the oil ? Anything to help and yes my wife is offered to steal my truck away from me she said it's way too nice

There's your problem...355 beers is a lot of extra weight. Drink half of them and I'll bet your mileage increases. [emoji41]

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
FYI, The Green Diesel Engineering tune will boost fuel economy 3-5 mpg over your current results. Very nice if planning to keep the truck long term.