• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mud Flaps Required by Law

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
You will need to check your local laws, however in Alberta, Canada. Mud Flaps are required, so for those who are shopping for new truck. Tell the dealer, I want my truck to be legal and to be included in your purchase. Still, I think it wrong, the dealer doesn't tell you that you have to flaps. Their failure to advise should make it their responsibility and cost to install the flaps before they give you the key. Just giving you the key to a illegal truck and not telling you. They should pay. What you think.

Here a local article from Calgary news.

Ryan White, CTV Calgary
Published Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:46PM MDT
Last Updated Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:51PM MDT
What many Albertans consider an aesthetic upgrade to a truck, added at the owner’s prerogative, is actually a mandatory requirement according to a provincial law which has been in place for decades.

Trucks without fenders covering their rear tires must have mudflaps.

Garrett Alger recently spent thousands of dollars on a new Dodge Ram 1500 under the assumption the truck was road legal. The truck owner was surprised to discover his fiancé was stopped by Strathmore RCMP because the new truck lacked mudflaps.

PHOTOS

Garrett Alger was shocked to discover his new truck was not road legal in Alberta

Garrett researched the infraction and discovered his truck required mudflaps in Alberta. He called the Calgary dealership that sold him the truck to ask why there were no flaps.

He was told Chrysler Canada was not obligated to install flaps on his truck and he would have to purchase mudflaps on his own dime.

“I think it's a joke,” said Garrett. “I think it's ridiculous that you pay $40,000 or $50,000 for a truck that doesn't conform with the law.”

Consumer Watch reporter Lea Williams-Doherty contacted the dealership where Garrett purchased his truck. Representatives of the dealership told Lea that Chrysler, and other vehicle manufacturers, ship trucks without mudflaps and dealer are not required to install them.

The Alberta Motor Dealers' Association says Alberta Transportation stated dealers are not obliged to make sure trucks confirm with this law as it's the consumer's responsibility.

While illegal, Calgary police say they rarely write tickets for mudflap violations.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I got the Mopar and they look good. Going to install the front one today.

I can understand why some wouldn't like it, but every vehicle I had, except this truck, so far, but close call and it common here, all have windshield cracks. We use rocks for sanding, unfortunately and it a big problem, so much so, that police aren't enforcing it or during inspection they turn a blind eye. Besides the safety issue of driving with cracked windshield. Very common problem in Alberta.

Also, I tow my trailer, in the mountains, gravel roads, can put dents into the front of trailer. So mud flaps helps a lot, though if you do lots of it, you need one of those full length protectors.

FYI: I just did my first oil test, I will post the results. I did the dip stick method, they have the pump. I don't trust the dealers to do it right. Guy forgets to do it and grabs oil from any other source. Price is 20.00 Canadian Loonies, that about 10.00 US. LOL

Last edited:

John

Nov 13, 2015
"Trucks without fenders covering their rear tires must have mudflaps." Seems like stock wheels & tires should be legal.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
My 20 inch stock tire, didn't come with muds and it was still open to throwing rocks. Anyways, I travel in BC where it is even stricter, even requiring snow label tires during the winter season.

To help you appreciate how serious they take it, if you are clocked 40 km over the speed limit, they confiscate your vehicle. Yes, not joking, they confiscate your vehicle.

They even recently posted a sign on my trip to Stanley Glacier, snowshoe hike, with that sign as I crossed into British Columbia from Alberta.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
"Trucks without fenders covering their rear tires must have mudflaps." Seems like stock wheels & tires should be legal.

Good catch, I agree. The fender and bedside are in one the same. Inside is the wheel well liner so you're covered there too.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I can see how this law would apply to big rigs running without a trailer, but on a pickup, c'mon no way. What about a 2wd truck that sits low to the ground?

You could also interpret that as the 'entire' tire, as if they are wider then the fenders it's illegal without mudflaps.

Lol hmmmmm, muddy law...

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I don't know what the criteria that determines mud flaps on a truck. I do know, all my other vehicles came with factory guards, though much shorter but cover below mid point. On my truck, no guards, and a greater portion of the rear tire is visible from behind. I have seen truck pass and throw up loose gravel, while a car with flaps seems to be much less. I abided by the regulations and I have installed Mopar Mub flaps both rear and front and look okay, more finished.

Got my oil test result, I will post it on another thread.