• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My EcoDiesel's First MIL codes: P200A and P2D2D

RJinpv

Oct 4, 2021
Truck Year
Yesterday my truck's MIL light came on with the P200A and P2D2D. The mechanic read them and cleared them. About 20 miles later the light came on again. I assume with the same codes. I'm getting a Blue driver code reader on Thursday so I can get some visibility. Some searching on the web shows they have to do with the Intake Runner and some others have experience intake swirl valves them very sooted up. It drives just fine. So tomorrow I have to drive 500+ miles home towing my trailer. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

2014 Ecodiesel, 128K miles, stock everything except fro the K&N air filter. I had the EGR cooler replaced on recall last year at about the same time I did the V08 SW flash recall for the emissions scandal (I really disliked it's hit to turbo lag and mileage).

Anybody have any advice on these codes or it's likelihood for a roadside breakdown in the next ~500 miles?

Pubsubforpresident

Nov 23, 2021
Truck Year
My truck just had these codes today too so I think it's the same issue. I drove 400 miles and I think it was maybe a little sluggish at low rpms. No other noticable differences though. What did you wind up doing?

RJinpv

Oct 4, 2021
Truck Year
My truck just had these codes today too so I think it's the same issue. I drove 400 miles and I think it was maybe a little sluggish at low rpms. No other noticable differences though. What did you wind up doing?
I drove home hundreds of mile towing my trailer. I added DieselKleen to the tank hoping it might clean up deposits but I don't think it helped. I have bought a code reader and cleared the codes a number of times but they always come back. The truck is getting more sluggish and the mileage has dropped. I plan to bring it into the dealer next week.

Pubsubforpresident

Nov 23, 2021
Truck Year
I drove home hundreds of mile towing my trailer. I added DieselKleen to the tank hoping it might clean up deposits but I don't think it helped. I have bought a code reader and cleared the codes a number of times but they always come back. The truck is getting more sluggish and the mileage has dropped. I plan to bring it into the dealer next week.
Right, I'm thinking I'll need to get the intake manifold cleaned out, and then delete the EGR. I don't know what I'm looking at, but I'm crossing my fingers at under $2,000

Pubsubforpresident

Nov 23, 2021
Truck Year
I just called the dealership, spoke a service and they said usually when this happens he got to replace the whole intake manifold and the fuel lines. They quoted me $1,100 just for the intake manifold plus 5 hours of labor, plus fuel lines. I'm wondering about just spraying seafoam into the intake and seeing what happens... Can't find if anybody here has done that yet

RJinpv

Oct 4, 2021
Truck Year
Right, I'm thinking I'll need to get the intake manifold cleaned out, and then delete the EGR. I don't know what I'm looking at, but I'm crossing my fingers at under $2,000
Here is a report on my truck and these codes. The dealer said I need a new intake due to excessive soot build-up (not much of a surprise). I'm getting a new intake and a new EGR valve. Good news is the extended warranty from the EGR cooler recall I had done last year covers the cost. When I asked how I could prevent this from happening again, he said he doesn't really know, and that he thinks the extended warranty on these additional parts was because they knew there could be failures of these parts later on. I asked if it was the V08 recall which reprogrammed the computer to satisfy the EPA regulations that gave me the additional warranty (I couldn't remember), or if it was the EGR cooler recall. He thought it was the later. I have had both of these recalls incorporated on my truck.

So, the bottomline is, if you get the P200A code then it is likely due to excessive soot buildup in the intake. It's not a catastrophic code indicating imminent failure. I went over 500 miles before I got it taken care of. However, I have no idea how to prevent it except possibly an EGR system delete. I have not wanted to do that because I know what living in Los Angeles is like with crappy air to breathe. Maybe periodic cleaning by spraying EGR cleaning spray into the intake would work?

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
This wound being my first issue with my truck At 157,xxx miles I got the p200a code and was noticing worse fuel milage and more DEF being used. I was able to get the intake manifold replaced last week after I located a kit at another dealership. FYI, these are on national backorder so I feel I got lucky finding one locally. I do have an unlimited milage warranty so it cost me $225 out of the $2400 total the dealer charged. My local mechanic quoted me $1600 in case the warranty didn't cover it. Truck is running great and my fuel milage and power is back up where it belongs. All in all not the worst thing that could've happened.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
This wound being my first issue with my truck At 157,xxx miles I got the p200a code and was noticing worse fuel milage and more DEF being used. I was able to get the intake manifold replaced last week after I located a kit at another dealership. FYI, these are on national backorder so I feel I got lucky finding one locally. I do have an unlimited milage warranty so it cost me $225 out of the $2400 total the dealer charged. My local mechanic quoted me $1600 in case the warranty didn't cover it. Truck is running great and my fuel milage and power is back up where it belongs. All in all not the worst thing that could've happened.

That's good info... and sounds like the warranty was well worth it in this case.

Propaganda26

Feb 19, 2022
Truck Year
I would like to start by congratulating you on being able to get this squared away relatively cheaply with a warranty I also have had, and unfortunately am having this issue again. The root cause of the problem is the existence of the EGR. Its purpose is to recirculate exhaust air back into your air intake. Unfortunately you are never going to get perfect combustion, so unburnt oil/diesel/exhaust air turns into a nasty black tar paste substance that in turn gets put into your air intake manifold via your EGR Valve.
This is a fundamental design flaw of the truck (most modern Diesel engines) but our Ecodiesels are even more susceptible to damage from it because they use plastic butterfly swirl valves which will get contaminated and stuck. This is what is throwing the P200a or B as well as a P2D2D, P2D2E codes possiblely. Each code has to do with the flaps/swirl valves not functioning properly due to contamination.
What the dealer did for you was remove a dirty part that was gummed up and placed a brand new clean part that will unfortunately end up suffering the same fate eventually. Now there are things you can do to reduce that contamination so you don’t run into the same problem anytime soon
1st delete EGR. It’s not to expensive also not very difficult to do and will have the greatest impact on stopping your issues from happening again. Unfortunately it’s illegal if you get caught and it’s is a EPA violation. So if you don’t want to break the law like myself, you have a couple other options but they don’t work quite as well.
Don’t let truck sit and idle for hours or even 30 min. Once it’s up to temp; leave. Use diesel fuel additives. They have a few different types for different purposes so you will need to do some research. HotShot Diesel is a good place to start. Don’t use the truck as a grocery getter. It must be driven on the highway once a week. I would say for at least 15-20 min. The rpm needs to get above 2500. Don’t remove the foam or cover in engine compartment. Its not just for noise. These engines need to run hot enough to clean out deposits before they can build up.
You can use Air intake manifold cleaner and douche out the system as well as the EGR pipe every so often. Treat it like an oil change routine. They make many professional units that really do amazing things in regards to cleaning your system (EGR, Intake manifold, turbo, innercooler, charged tubes). It just depends on how much you want to spend. Liquid moly has a nice cleaning solution in can that will help. If you are looking for a deep clean then I would recommend buying a JLM diesel Extreme intake manifold cleaner kit. 2 aerosol solution and it works amazing. you can do it from home. It might cost 160 bucks for the kit. I also belive Wynn has a powered diesel EGR/ Induction cleaner tool, which is essentially the same thing but even more on the professional mechanic scale.
So anyways the finally two things you can do to help with this problem would be installing an aftermarket oil catch can kit. (Highly recommend) if installed right it will be a barrier for a lot of the unburnt deposits before they are allowed to hit your intake. 100% I feel like this is a clear (Design Flaw) and this filtration system should of been designed into the truck and not an aftermarket/afterthought for the Ecodiesel.
Finally the last thing is purchasing a GDE (Green Diesel) HOT TUNE. I don’t have one myself, but I hear that a lot of people have had a ton of success with Alleviating most of these issues by simply installing this. I would still recommend following the other instructions, but from what I hear this tune makes a big difference.
Unfortunately this truck stock is not a gas car and if you we’re expecting the same experience as a normal everyday driver then you (like myself) were fooled by the dealer. With that said I STILL love my Ecodiesel. It has great mpg, amazing towing ability, unmatched towing mpg, and plenty of balls. The Truck forced me to become educated not only on vehicles in general, but even more importantly diesel vehicles. I have learned a great deal from watching European YouTube channels and would recommend doing so if you want to understand more about these types of engines.
The USA is far behind Europe because they have so many more of these emission complaint diesels on the road already so they have had the time to come up with some of the best solutions. Like if you are broke and need to clean an air intake; buy oven cleaner (sodium hydroxide) Easy off in USA, Mr Muscle in Europe. It costs 3 bucks a can and works better then almost any professional cleaner. Also learned how to make my own Draino/ degreasers/ engine cleaner out of Lye Granulars and distilled water. (Super cheap but be careful very toxic if ingested and will burn hands, eyes, 100% need protection)
Ive gone on a bit of a tangent but I wanted to try and share some of the things I have learned about the truck. I’ll finish by saying if you haven’t already Invested in the alfaOBD APP then do so right away. It Works only on android and windows but it’s extremely powerful for the ecodiesel truck as a Bidirectional diagnostic tool. It only cost 60 bucks plus a cheap tablet and it will give you many options. Most importantly the ability to measure your current DPF filter soot/clogged level. And it will allow you to do a Forced Regeneration on the DPF.
I know you might think why are you taking about the exhaust when this whole reply was about the intake. Well intake and the exhaust are all apart of the vehicle airflow system. If you are noticing more and more regens or soot build up, then it’s most likely being caused by the same problem that is going to mess up your Air intake manifold. It’s a good way to watch the health of your vehicle. Also Alfaobd can do 1 million other amazing things I won’t get into right now.
If anyone has questions about this or input I would love to hear from you and help/learn. My email is [email protected] that’s the best way to get ahold of me and hopefully I’ll hear from some of you guys soon with insight or questions

Justwantedajeep84

Jun 25, 2023
Truck Year
hey thank you for your post!
Ive had my summit eco diesel for about a 1 and i love it but those codes you were talking about just showed up on my Jeep.
I just took it in because it kept having problems with the regen process so I had a mechanic look at it. All he did was change two of my intake filters and do an oil change. I also had a ac hose put on because my ac stopped blowing cold air.
I’m wondering what I should do i had some of the recall work done on my emissions but im not sure if it will cover the intake manifold because I bought it used. I have an extended warranty on it but I haven’t said anything to them yet because I want to see what options i have. I’m also not sure if they will try to say its wear and tear

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
hey thank you for your post!
Ive had my summit eco diesel for about a 1 and i love it but those codes you were talking about just showed up on my Jeep.
I just took it in because it kept having problems with the regen process so I had a mechanic look at it. All he did was change two of my intake filters and do an oil change. I also had a ac hose put on because my ac stopped blowing cold air.
I’m wondering what I should do i had some of the recall work done on my emissions but im not sure if it will cover the intake manifold because I bought it used. I have an extended warranty on it but I haven’t said anything to them yet because I want to see what options i have. I’m also not sure if they will try to say its wear and tear
My warranty covered the intake replacement. I’ve also found if I have to do any regular driving around town I will put my truck in tow/haul mode and that keeps the rpm’s around 2000. By doing that I’ve had less notifications saying the exhaust gas filter is getting full. Lastly, and I hate to write this because I cannot remember the product, but the AutoZone guy recommended a cleaner to me that I’ve used a couple times and it removed the check engine light. I’ll find out what it was and do a follow up reply. Lately, I will get the Electronic Throttle Control and limp mode, but, if I pull over and shut the truck down and wait a minute, when I restart the truck I still have the check engine light but the limp mode has been disabled and short drive on the highway will remove the check engine light. I don’t blame these issues on the engine or FCA, in my opinion this issue solely rests on the government’s shoulders. Once my warranty has expired I will be deleting the truck because the government mandated systems are the only things causing issues.