• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My experience with glow plug issue

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Got mine back today and the dealer said a 'PCM flash' fixed this issue. I'm hoping they didn't just clear the code, but I guess we'll see..
Will update if it happens again.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Well all was good until today. Back on and flashing again after they supposedly fixed the plug. It’s raining today so I’m not sure as to if that is contributing to the issue or not. I’m just fed up. I have an appt at a different dealer Monday. I just want it fixed.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Just got done with my service call, message is gone and cel didn’t come on like last time. At the moment I’m believing my module to be my culprit. Dealer has a plug in stock. I’d just hate to replace the plug and the module be the problem. It seems to me If the plug was the issue it would be a constant code and issue. With it being ceramic it reminds me of the hot surface ignitors in a gas furnace, when those crack or chip they no longer function at all, so why would the plug operate much different? The other odd coincidence is it threw the code last weekend when it was cold and damp. Granted the weather has been rainy every weekend but it didn’t do it yesterday when it was sunny. Idk. Sucks ass not being 100% confident expecially when the dealer can’t even tell me with confidence.

Iggy17

Feb 7, 2019
Truck Year
I’m having the same problem with #4 also, my cel light comes on at weird times to. It was in a heated shop all week and started it today and it came on and flashed all the way home. I actually found the Bosch glow plug on amazon for $24 so gonna try and replace that myself and if that doesn’t work gonna have to do the module.

Tony Svien

Nov 7, 2017
Truck Year
Hello to you all!

I come to this page after months of worry, research, clearing codes and eventually a trip to my local dealer. Let me give you a little insight on my ram first. I purchased my truck in August 2018 from a local small used car lot. 113k miles and truck in great shape. Around 117k in October I take it for an oil change and fuel filter change. End of October and my cel light and preheat in process light start to flash while trying to get to work. So I hit the internet.

Now, all I saw for google results is broke off glow plugs in sprinters and cabs coming off for head replacement. Now I’m not one for patience expecially when it comes to a vehicle I haven’t even owned for a year. My second gen 1500 was very loyal. Hints why I got a newer dodge. So I stop by the local parts store to check the codes after work. Low and behold #4 glowplug codes out the rear end. P0674 and P06BC riddled the scanner. So I take pictures of the screens and reset and clear lights. BOOM TRUCK FIXED.

WAIT! Mid December with the bed full of Christmas goodies I approach a stop light and guess what starts flashing. Now at this point I’m debating how I can get a road flare into the fuel tank. 45 days later my codes are back. As you can imagine I’m not very happy considering I’ve hardly made a dent in my loan and I’m having to trouble shoot what I thought was a good deal. So I stop by the store and borrow the code reader again. Same codes, so I price a glow plug and start to locate tear down instructions and debate if I should try the module first or just redo all the plugs. Well that black plastic cover on top of your motor? That’s there for a reason.

I pull it off and see a pile of wires and hoses and plugs and stuff I’ve only seen in space shuttles in movies. So that went back on quickly. Now, I’m half way mechanically inclined. Rebuilt motors, rears, swap out a transmission, but I know my limits.

With the codes reset and no clue where to start to get to the plug I prayed for a natural fix as the cel and message flashing is not a problem turning up the radio could fix.

Well Sunday the light comes on as I leave church. So I stop by the store again and reset the same codes and purchase road flares and head home. Call my dealer Monday morning, part is in stock 390$ to replace including parts. Drop it off tueseday at 830 am as scheduled. Ask how Long repairs are normally they say Wednesday afternoon it should be good to go. Wednesday morning I get a call saying part is ordered it’ll be in later that day or Thursday morning. The tech can’t find a code anywhere in computer so I relay the codes I found to the advisor. Tech didn’t want to replace a plug if he couldn’t see a plug code, well I don’t blame the man plus it’ll help my bill. Thursday afternoon they call me and say the tech inspected every ground and connection and found a few looking bad. Fixed and truck is ready for pickup. I was advised if the codes come back bring it straight in and they will diagnose for free and then will replace the plug!

Shew, I’m feeling lucky. They told me worst case my bill would be 13k!!!!! I wasn’t looking for that so my fingers are crossed that the issue is resolved! I just wanted to share my experience for those who encounter this issue
I have a 2015 and my glow plug 6 has been causing issues. I had it replaced under warranty and some other warranty fixes done. The glow plug light went out and came back on over and over again and the dealers, plural as I have went to a couple, all day the glow plug is fine and they can’t figure it out. I started turning off my heat when I shut the truck off and when I start the truck i don’t have the heat going. This has been about two months and my glow plug light does not come on now. If I turn my truck on with the heat on in a couple days the glow plug light starts blinking. I live in MN so not being able to use the auto start stinks. I now keep the heat off and have not had to deal with the glow plug light blinking at me. After it is started, I can turn the heat on and I have not had any issues since doing this. I’m thinking something with the wiring is causing this but a dealer will charge a ton of money. I am going to keep turning the heat off when I shut the truck off as long as that is the fox it is free... hope this helps some people

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
My light came back on today. Same P06BC code but after turning off and back on again it's gone. You can see it in the pending status though inside the Torque app. Made another appointment and this time I am staying right by the truck to make sure they do something other than just clear the code.

David Mosby

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
I am sorry to hear these horror stories. That is why I bought my truck new. Tradesman for $30,000. When you drive it for 10 years the annual amortization is less than $2500 a year, or about $200 a month. I drive her tenderly and get 27mpg combined. When I drive highway, I keep her at 60mph and that saves a ton of fuel! I park her inside when the temp gets in the 30s. I change the oil at 8500 miles. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen to increase cetane, clean the injectors, and lubricate the fuel pump. I will change out the transmission fluid at 50k. I will do that the lazy way just with the drain plug. NOTE! Put it in reverse for a 10 seconds to backflush the filter. At 100k, if I want to keep her for 250k, I will replace the pan with an aluminum one, and replaceable filter.

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I am sorry to hear these horror stories. That is why I bought my truck new. Tradesman for $30,000. When you drive it for 10 years the annual amortization is less than $2500 a year, or about $200 a month. I drive her tenderly and get 27mpg combined. When I drive highway, I keep her at 60mph and that saves a ton of fuel! I park her inside when the temp gets in the 30s. I change the oil at 8500 miles. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen to increase cetane, clean the injectors, and lubricate the fuel pump. I will change out the transmission fluid at 50k. I will do that the lazy way just with the drain plug. NOTE! Put it in reverse for a 10 seconds to backflush the filter. At 100k, if I want to keep her for 250k, I will replace the pan with an aluminum one, and replaceable filter.

I thought buying new would alleviate these problems as well. Only 3100 miles and this happens. I guess if this is it for the life of the truck I will be lucky!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I debated taking it to an import dealer... you would think someone would have answers. Problem is there’s only 2 diesel techs at both dealers close to me, which tells me they aren’t taking the time of day to actually troubleshoot.

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Finally got this fixed today! Light came on, took it straight to the dealer so they could see the P06BC code.
They replaced the #4 glow plug and no more flashing light!
It didn't take that long so the plug must not have been very corroded in the head.
Good luck with your issue

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Finally got this fixed today! Light came on, took it straight to the dealer so they could see the P06BC code.
They replaced the #4 glow plug and no more flashing light!
It didn't take that long so the plug must not have been very corroded in the head.
Good luck with your issue
Was yours throwing a constant code or intermittent at start up? Mine hasn’t been back on since Saturday.

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
It was intermittent. Ut would come on, I would make an appt. but they would never see it. Finally when it happened again I took it straight over there so they could see it and pull the P06BC code. That's when they replaced the #4 glow plug. They applied the flash and then it took around a week for the light to come back

WhiteLighting

Jan 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Also, here's some information about the conditions that can cause the P06BC error: a condition causing high resistance in the wiring circuit (corroded terminal, loose connector at the glow plug, pinched wiring, etc), the glow plug itself is starting to go bad, or the glow plug control unit has an internal issue.
Check out Tech Authority for service manuals. They have 1 day, 3 day, 7 day etc. subscriptions that will show the troubleshooting steps.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Well the message has shown up again today. Ole lady is driving it so when she gets home I’m going to attempt to pull the plug. It’s sunny and cold today so I don’t think moisture is the culprit.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Good afternoon fellas.

I come today bearing good news. Well sort of. I attempted the step by step directions on removal of the glow plug! Side note on the 1500 rams you don’t need to remove anything but the top cover. Well I got it 5 complete turns out and went to wrench it back in and it snapped. SOAB. I took it well. Just went inside the house and looked at trading it in that evening in shock. Motor was back from a 3 hour highway drive and the dealership had actually broken the plug loose so it was blowing by the threads. No big deal. Well a fella at work had a brother that works up at a diesel dealer up in northern Virginia so I took it to him. The plug still functioned so I was able to drive there. He ordered a 450$ tool, I ordered the plug( don’t get me started on the dieselfiltersonline shipping. 2 day shipping my butt. ) anyways. He called me this evening after I dropped the plug off Wednesday to him, the good news is my plug is replaced without pulling the head, and his bad news is my bill was only 500$! I have my fingers crossed that this is the final step of the puzzle but I also ordered the glow plug relay to change also since it is a reccomended service item!!! I will keep everyone informed on if it completely resolved the issue!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
hey guys just wanted to update, truck hasn’t had an issue since replacement. Matter of fact I just got done doing the oil and filter change and figured I would update everyone because I ordered the glow plug relay when I ordered the glow plug and oil filter. So in my case, the glow plug was infact the issue. Thank you all for the help I will try to do better with keeping up on the forums!!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
What I gain out of all these glow plug posts is 1: Always replace the glow plug module first. 2: Stock up on PB blaster and patience if it is a DIY 3:Skip the dealer and find the most skilled diesel shop where they have that $500.00 tool so you don't have to pay for it. Finally, 4: After you replace the module and still have the code it does not hurt to procrastinate.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
What I gain out of all these glow plug posts is 1: Always replace the glow plug module first. 2: Stock up on PB blaster and patience if it is a DIY 3:Skip the dealer and find the most skilled diesel shop where they have that $500.00 tool so you don't have to pay for it. Finally, 4: After you replace the module and still have the code it does not hurt to procrastinate.
True that. Dealer called me on the emission crap to bring truck in. I asked if this has to do with the settlement and all that and they gave me the run around. I don’t understand why the dealer an hour from me shoots me straight and answers all my questions but my local dealer has to be a dick.