• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

my intro (not a owner... yet?)

super32

Jul 13, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hello EcoDieselRam members. My name is Donald. I hail from the drought affected area of California.
As a member of other online forums, I find it almost obligatory for newcomers to post up an intro, and I'm glad this forum has a specific forum for that purpose :D - makes it easier for existing members to filter through intros and specific discussion threads, IMO.

Anyway, as the title suggestions, I'm no Ecodiesel owner. As a matter of fact, I'm not even a pickup truck owner :(. However, I can safely say that I am a very interested and hopeful buyer of the 1500 ecodiesel. The primary reason I'm not already an ecodiesel member is because I'm still in the research/finding-myself stage :p

I'm quite familiar to gasoline/spark-plug engines; almost 0% experience with diesel.
"why do you even want a diesel engine then?" some of you may wonder...
Well, first off - I really want a pickup truck. The wide open cargo bed makes it easy to throw something in there and not really worry about the confines of the body of the vehicle, such as my current SUV (which I also refer to as a truck - which some of you may frown upon :p); the SUV is an Infiniti QX4, or some may know it as the "uppity" Nissan Pathfinder. It is 4x4, and i've put some work into the suspension to be able to withstand the occasional towing of a trailer (not that much suspension upgrade is necessary to haul light-duty trailers)

Then came the fact that I really don't haul stuff on a daily basis. No matter - nor do I do so on the SUV. A "commuter with the capacity to haul/tow" is what I'm really interested in. This is when MPGs became a factor. My current weekday commute is 75miles round trip, which may increase as this truck will be the best MPG vehicle in my household, if it should someday become a part of my household :p. In research most spark-plug'd pickups, I find that the MPGs are not all to much better than my SUV, which is currently getting about 17-18mpgs mixed driving.

That's when I found the 1500's light duty ecodiesel option. Currently (as far as I know in the USA) the only light duty diesel option. As I'm told, manufacturers are not exploring this market - Ram just seems to be the first to break in - again, as far as I know.

So, that's how I came about the 1500 ecodisel. Nice all-around pickup truck for the type of towing/hauling/commuting I generally do, all with the hefty capability as well as the mpg's.

Another question I've been asked by others: "just get a similar SUV to what you've got now..." - mmmmMmm, nehhh, I'd prefer not to be restricted to the interior of the SUV body. I know I'm not going to haul refrigerators, or hay bales, or whatever - but I do plan to haul my motorcycle from time to time. Lots of people don't "need" to have the cars they choose :)

Nonetheless, here is a quick break-down of why I want a pickup truck
1. haul motorcycle (especially to trackdays)
2. haul large, odd-shaped objects (eg. recently purchased a sleigh bed frame - would have been nice not to have to borrow my brother's truck and picked it up on my own time)
3. ability to haul large and/or odd-shapped object quickly without additional hardware (eg. a trailer, or a hitch carrier)
4. crew cab can carry just as many people as a conventional 5-seater SUV - plus, lots of cargo space

Why I want a pickup with an ecodiesel (and not a heavy-duty diesel)
1. I'll be commuting more than hauling/towing
2. MPGs are extremely enticing with the benefit of torque when needed
3. ability to haul a load (yes, I'll be wayyyyyy below than the advertised 8,xxx lbs) AND! still get nice MPG numbers
4. reputation of diesel durability vs a similar pickup truck - ... and!, yes you guessed it :D MPG benefit.

Why don't I have one yet :(
1. I don't want to rush in without knowing what I'm getting myself into (ie. I prefer to be a DIY'er when it comes to managable maintenance, and I haven't a clue how to maintain a diesel on my own)
2. $$$. I'm on somewhat of a restricted budget. I don't want to go over it, and want to remain strict to the numbers I'm setting. Currently, I'm in the range of high-20 USD. Whether or not I'm crazy I'm not too sure. I really plan to buy during the 2015 liquidation due to incoming 2016s.
2a. sidenote - "how did I come about high-20's USD" budget? During the Independence Day sale at a local Ram dealership, I was able to find a EcoDiesel Laramie going for $32K USD. From what I understand, Laramie is the upper-trims of the 1500. I understand there were buyer incentives to bring the price down so far.. but the fact that it actually came down so far, made me figure that the basic Tradesman/Express trim should be easily had at less than 30K when clearance comes along. Or am I sorely wrong?
3. I need to give the missus time to get used to the idea of a getting a large vehicle, not to forget, *new* large vehicle.

And so - I'll cut myself off there, as I know I've posted a heap! :oops:
I apologize for being long winded, but figured to be clear why a non-EcodieselRam owner made his way into this forum :confused:

Nonethless, I hope to learn MUCH from you guys, and be able to find my way behind a ecodiesel ram in the near future.

cheers!

ecodiesel1

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
welcome super32, and you are right. the ecodiesel is a happy medium between power, fuel mileage and comfort. that's why I bought mine. I don't regret it at all. Love it.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Welcome, glad to have you here. Look around, we'll have you talked into one in a bit! :D

Here's my persuasion:
39ba824386f07916fef77d7ff687a21a.jpg

This is car like mpg from a full size 4wd pickup. Almost 200 miles of the 500 was towing a 18-1/2' bass boat. Gotta love it.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Here's my persuasion:
39ba824386f07916fef77d7ff687a21a.jpg

This is car like mpg from a full size 4wd pickup. Almost 200 miles of the 500 was towing a 18-1/2' bass boat. Gotta love it.

"ALMOST CAR LIKE".

Well, my Jetta TDI (daily driver) will touch 40MPG easy.. but that's unfair to compare. :D

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
"ALMOST CAR LIKE".

Well, my Jetta TDI (daily driver) will touch 40MPG easy.. but that's unfair to compare. :D
Lol yes it. Remember, I'm coming from a 14mpg Yukon DD. So maybe I'm a bit over enthused for the EcoD's mileage. Still tho, that's awesome numbers I think. And it's just gonna get better.

dakarm34

Aug 28, 2015
Truck Year
I'm thinking hard about a 15 Laramie 4x4 with rambox. I'm a volly FF so having a place to store my gear is great. It's a toss up between the ED and a Toyota Tacoma. I don't tow or Haul anything so I don't need a big truck but with this ED kicking mpg out of the stratosphere and it costing slightly more. I'm 80% leaning to the ED. The Tacoma is $39k!!! And it's a mid size. Help push me all the way over. I've driven it and I love it. Fellow firefighter has one and I had his truck for a week to install the lights in it. So test drives were in order.

super32

Jul 13, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Obviously you might get a little bias here on the EcoD over the Tacoma in this forum [emoji12] , but it's starting to be a good time to get back in the hunt.

I just got an email saying that one of the local dealerships is doing a 0% financing promotion. I figure that may extend to all dealerships soon.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
I think you guys are in the right time to get an EcoDiesel. I truly think that all the issues that people have seen in the past have been resolved. I think the only thing that remains questionable are the DEF issues in the great frozen north, but outside of this, this is one hard truck to beat right now if it meets your criteria.
I've never owned a diesel, I've always wanted a truck, but didn't want the poor gas mileage and then this thing comes along. It's like having a 4-door Camry (in essence a sedan with good gas mileage) but is a truck (the bed in back). Then when you throw in Ram's styling (very nice inside and out), great drivetrain (3D mated to 8-speed is match made in heaven), and then add the coil sprung rear... Well I was done for!
I"m down in here in SoCal where the A/C is always on and I'm driving 75-80 with traffic, and I average about 22-24 mpg combined work commute and shuttling kids to school, afternoon sports & DIY on the weekend. For me 22-24 for my everyday life is fantastic. It may not be EPA, but I would have never looked at a truck if it was less, and would have been pissed if I was under 20 mpg. On our vacation up to the Sierra's I got into the 28's and would have hit 29 had we stayed longer in that area. (Pretty much 55-65 mph area.)

MrKelly

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
"ALMOST CAR LIKE".

I'd like to hear your mpg now being that I also have the Jetta TDI but after a 40k mile service and EPA update ( 4 trips to the dealer to fix ) am unable to best more than 31mpg. Will be having it bought back come November / December this year. Either looking at getting the 2017 F-150 Diesel or the Ram 1500 ED. I am stumped at why the current HFE has so many limited Options.

MrKelly

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg
I'm thinking hard about a 15 Laramie 4x4 with rambox. I'm a volly FF so having a place to store my gear is great. It's a toss up between the ED and a Toyota Tacoma. I don't tow or Haul anything so I don't need a big truck but with this ED kicking mpg out of the stratosphere and it costing slightly more. I'm 80% leaning to the ED. The Tacoma is $39k!!! And it's a mid size. Help push me all the way over. I've driven it and I love it. Fellow firefighter has one and I had his truck for a week to install the lights in it. So test drives were in order.

Thought I would share back in September of 2013 I bought a Tundra 4WD TRD and this was the price even though MSRP was 44K. I'm now wanting either the 2017 F-150 Diesel or the RAM 1500 ED come this December.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'd like to hear your mpg now being that I also have the Jetta TDI but after a 40k mile service and EPA update ( 4 trips to the dealer to fix ) am unable to best more than 31mpg. Will be having it bought back come November / December this year. Either looking at getting the 2017 F-150 Diesel or the Ram 1500 ED. I am stumped at why the current HFE has so many limited Options.

I haven't done any "emissions updates" so my MPG is still decent. My driving style/route has changed a little bit as I'm doing more city driving during the week as I moved closer to work.. I'm averaging around 34 though even with the city driving. I've still hit 40+ on all highway trips.

MrKelly

Aug 28, 2016
Truck Year
Not Listed
I think you guys are in the right time to get an EcoDiesel. I truly think that all the issues that people have seen in the past have been resolved. I think the only thing that remains questionable are the DEF issues in the great frozen north, but outside of this, this is one hard truck to beat right now if it meets your criteria.
I've never owned a diesel, I've always wanted a truck, but didn't want the poor gas mileage and then this thing comes along. It's like having a 4-door Camry (in essence a sedan with good gas mileage) but is a truck (the bed in back). Then when you throw in Ram's styling (very nice inside and out), great drivetrain (3D mated to 8-speed is match made in heaven), and then add the coil sprung rear... Well I was done for!
I"m down in here in SoCal where the A/C is always on and I'm driving 75-80 with traffic, and I average about 22-24 mpg combined work commute and shuttling kids to school, afternoon sports & DIY on the weekend. For me 22-24 for my everyday life is fantastic. It may not be EPA, but I would have never looked at a truck if it was less, and would have been pissed if I was under 20 mpg. On our vacation up to the Sierra's I got into the 28's and would have hit 29 had we stayed longer in that area. (Pretty much 55-65 mph area.)
Thank you so much for your post. Currently looking at purchasing the 2016 BigHorn Eco Diesel. Anyone have a price point that is going to make this purchase a smoking deal?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you so much for your post. Currently looking at purchasing the 2016 BigHorn Eco Diesel. Anyone have a price point that is going to make this purchase a smoking deal?
My sticker price was $59,8XX and I signed purchase agreement at $49K