• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 2016 Ed owner

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys. Picked up a 2016 ED 46k mi in great shape. Still have factory warranty. Reading and reading what do I need to do to make this puppy last??

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Many of Us dumped our ED not willing to take the Risk of Hero-Zero status. Did You do any research before Buying?

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Reading more and more... what’s this AEM update or something I keep reading about. I see the egr is an issue like on my 6.0 I had many years ago... is there a tune yet via obd that just turns it off?? I’ve been reading and looking around for awhile so I have tons of questions. I’ve seen a video with a guy removing just some cross over pipe. Is that an easy fix?

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I’ve read up on them. But it’s like everything else you read about... the more you read your only gonna see the negative and most of it is hearsay.. i take everything with a grain of salt... did you actually have issues or a friend of a friend ?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep, you will need to tune for sure, Checkout the ecodieselsettlement.com

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its factual FCA has replaced 10%+- of VM3.0s and even 2018s are failing, that's 5 years of the same failure(s) and climbing.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My ED intake/EGR needed replacing at 41K Miles ,I threw in the towel after 3 Intake foam cleanings....

Arkie 16

Apr 3, 2018
Truck Year
I have a 16 that has been trouble free, so not everyone is having issues. I don't slam the throttle to the floor like some are trying to do with this engine. I just roll in the throttle and let it shift at 2000 to 2500 rpm. Three years old one owner. Like any engine oil and filter at proper intervals. Check the coolant bottle regularly and don't let it get low. If you have a egr coolant leak it is covered under the emissions warranty.

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
AHHH positivity on a forum dedicated to this truck and a bunch of sour asses. Thanks guys. I let the truck warm up before I even leave the driveway. I’m sure there are issues but most of the time it’s fixable or user Caused. Thanks for the positive post

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
The Ford problems Ford fixed the ram 3.0 problems won't get fixed the engine has been discontinued with the introduction of the 2020 ram new truck new engine and they won't work in the older rams

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
The Ford problems Ford fixed the ram 3.0 problems won't get fixed the engine has been discontinued with the introduction of the 2020 ram new truck new engine and they won't work in the older rams
Uhhh Ford did nothing. They made updates on headstuds on 07 trucks but from 04-06 they scattered and people had to pay or it was covered and they to moved on. People post the negative side of things. No one on here that I’ve seen has been... wow this is great.. dunno just seems like this forum has drawn people who hate the Trucks and I should move on..

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
dunno just seems like this forum has drawn people who hate the Trucks and I should move on..

..that would be incorrect. You can't take a few peoples opinions and classify the rest of us in that same boat. :)

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 16 that has been trouble free, so not everyone is having issues. I don't slam the throttle to the floor like some are trying to do with this engine. I just roll in the throttle and let it shift at 2000 to 2500 rpm. Three years old one owner. Like any engine oil and filter at proper intervals. Check the coolant bottle regularly and don't let it get low. If you have a egr coolant leak it is covered under the emissions warranty.

I'm with Arkie 16, other than my EGR cooler which was replaced under warantee, so far so good. I did put a gde tune on it to help protect it from self destruction down the road, mostly shutting off egr... One thing with these diesels, is you have to really learn a lot and you have to keep a watchful eye on everything and be willing to get your hands dirty once in a while. If you don't mind doing that, these trucks should hopefully last.

But if you the type who never opens the hood, and you rely on someone else's opinion without knowing much about it yourself, this isn't the truck for you. There is a lot to learn on these high tech modern diesels.

Good luck, hope you have a gem.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I love my truck I just can't wait till the new ram comes out I will dump my 2018 quicker than I bought it spend some time reading the posts it is not my friend said he had this and I heard this this is the owners telling their tales of woe these trucks have major problems ram is fixing most of them but it takes twenty attempts to fix one problem then u r plaged with another face it these trucks are one step from junk I have four rams this one is the worse I deleted this truck when it was new trying to avoid any problems

Jul 20, 2019
Truck Year
I'm with Arkie 16, other than my EGR cooler which was replaced under warantee, so far so good. I did put a gde tune on it to help protect it from self destruction down the road, mostly shutting off egr... One thing with these diesels, is you have to really learn a lot and you have to keep a watchful eye on everything and be willing to get your hands dirty once in a while. If you don't mind doing that, these trucks should hopefully last.

But if you the type who never opens the hood, and you rely on someone else's opinion without knowing much about it yourself, this isn't the truck for you. There is a lot to learn on these high tech modern diesels.

Good luck, hope you have a gem.

I work on my own stuff and not concerned about getting dirty as I do it for a living. Thanks for the solid input

JohnnyMac

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome! I've had my 18 since October and the only issue I have had was a "service brakes" warning because I added a lift and on the way to the alignment shop it threw the code. After the alignment, it cleared. Seems to me that most of the folks that really like the truck and never have a problem will simply drive it and probably not join a forum like this to post the love unless they are motorheads and/or like to mod and are looking for info about modifications, otherwise it's mostly folks with a problem searching for answers hence the negativity. You'll also notice that the majority of the negative comments come from a small group of folks. I'm not saying they haven't had issues, and it does seem that these motors do have issues with the emissions system (although other newer diesels do as well) but the majority of these motors are solid. I say enjoy the truck, I sure do.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The other off topic posts have been moved here:

John

Nov 13, 2015
The other off topic posts have been moved here:
Thank You