• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New EcoDiesel owner guide

David Mosby

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
I was thinking it would be good to provide a guide of best practices for a new ecodiesel owner. I know it would of benefited me especially since its my first diesel.

I will start it off

1) Change oil every 10K miles
2) Change fuel filter ever 20K miles
^^ I know these two are subjective, but it seems like an acceptable number after getting opinions from a lot of people.
3) Front & Rear diff service??
4) Transmission fluid and filter?

..anything else? lets build a nice list and compile into one so it will be easy to track.

It is okay for Rotella T6 now. 5w40. I change at 8000 miles. At 30,000 miles I will change or rather, flush my transmission fluid. I learned that there is a special way to flush, which involves putting it into reverse, which reverses the fluid direction and backflushes out the filter. I figured this out from a Jeep whose transmission would start running badly and not shifting until shifting into reverse. Then it would work fine. I called a transmission shop and they said DO NOT FLUSH!!!! So I took it to an oil change place that did flushing. Drove like new. Screw those transmission shop liars!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
It is okay for Rotella T6 now. 5w40. I change at 8000 miles. At 30,000 miles I will change or rather, flush my transmission fluid. I learned that there is a special way to flush, which involves putting it into reverse, which reverses the fluid direction and backflushes out the filter. I figured this out from a Jeep whose transmission would start running badly and not shifting until shifting into reverse. Then it would work fine. I called a transmission shop and they said DO NOT FLUSH!!!! So I took it to an oil change place that did flushing. Drove like new. Screw those transmission shop liars!
New fluid can do wonders to a transmission but I wouldn't feel any reason to pull the factory fill out of our transmissions at my present mileage.

And considering that you do, what fluid are you planning to replace it with?