• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Ecodiesel Owner

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My sway control is supposed to be built in my hitch. I’ve had this adjusted so tight that the camping people said I would ruin the brake on the hitch. But even then it didn’t help.
That's a great hitch but the pictured head is not a Sway Control head. You probably already know, when properly set up it should nearly lift the truck rear to its unloaded height. The bars should be parallel to the trailer frame. not angled down or up and the trailer should be level or down at the front. If up from level at the front you will get sway.

Whoever told you the 1500 could tow 12,500 was very wrong. Your tow capacity will vary depending on how the truck is equipped, but I believe that 7000 is near its capacity, IMO that's too much for any 1500, especially a 3.21 rear end.

Kenny P

Apr 2, 2024
Truck Year
Didn’t mean to put the options twice, hope I didn’t offend you. Sorry about that. I did call my Ram dealer and talked to service about towing weight limits and they again said 12,700 (I thought it was 12,5). I also know what was in my owners manual that’s why all this concerns me. I’ve pulled my camper to Rapid City SD and back (1,800 miles one way) with no problems, other than the sway. Hopefully I won’t have other problems but do realize I should probably go with a 2500 or higher for this or other campers.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
Very few Ecodiesels have the 3.21 differential as it is very low for an engine that pulls this well. It would also make it hard to get any decent mileage on a road trip. I have found the best set up for me has been air bags in the rear springs with 8 to 10 lb. of air and 10 ply tires with about 75 lb. of air on the rear. The door sticker doesn't show 75 lb in the rear but the 10 ply tires reach the maximum carrying capacity at 80 lb. The truck handles and rides pretty well with that set up and I have towed my large camper to Maine and the other direction to western Florida with no sway issues. I did have 1 trailer that had the wastewater tanks all the way at the rear and if they needed dumped I could tell when towing. When equipped with a factory tow package these trucks have an amazing tow capacity.
Happy motoring

Ramsey#1

Aug 12, 2021
Truck Year
Very few Ecodiesels have the 3.21 differential as it is very low for an engine that pulls this well. It would also make it hard to get any decent mileage on a road trip. I have found the best set up for me has been air bags in the rear springs with 8 to 10 lb. of air and 10 ply tires with about 75 lb. of air on the rear. The door sticker doesn't show 75 lb in the rear but the 10 ply tires reach the maximum carrying capacity at 80 lb. The truck handles and rides pretty well with that set up and I have towed my large camper to Maine and the other direction to western Florida with no sway issues. I did have 1 trailer that had the wastewater tanks all the way at the rear and if they needed dumped I could tell when towing. When equipped with a factory tow package these trucks have an amazing tow capacity.
Happy motoring
I actually run around 25lbs in my air bags. The only thing I noticed was my transmission temperature on long pulls will get up to about 220 degrees

Kenny P

Apr 2, 2024
Truck Year
Happy motoring
Thanks for the information. My recent trip, where my turbo tube clamp burst, I put 50 pounds in the rear, have the stock tires and my camper have the bathroom in the back, but we never have anything in the holding tanks.

Can I ask the gear ratio of your vehicle?

Ramsey#1

Aug 12, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for the information. My recent trip, where my turbo tube clamp burst, I put 50 pounds in the rear, have the stock tires and my camper have the bathroom in the back, but we never have anything in the holding tanks.

Can I ask the gear ratio of your vehicle?
I have a Laramie with the tow package and 3.92 rear end. I get between 13-15 mpg at 65 mph.

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
If you haven’t done so already a set of air bags in the rear springs really helps when you’re towing. I have a 2017 with 95,000 and we pull a 2013 22’ Forest River all the time and it does a great job 👏
Try road active suspension