• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New here. Soot in coolant tank

Ahaynes81

Jan 2, 2019
Truck Year
Hello I'm new to the ecodiesle community. Today I noticed that there is what looks like black soot on the walls of the coolant tank. Anyone have any ideas of what is the cause? I have a 2015 Laramie with 62,000 miles on it . Bought it used from the dealer black Friday weekend 2018. I hear it might be a egr cooler issue. Truck has been running great no codes or other issues. Mpg are mid 18's city driving.

Ahaynes81

Jan 2, 2019
Truck Year
Ok damn! I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they tell me. It must have just went out because my fluid leve is still full but my oil is really dark.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
Both or either. One thing issue. Stop operating and start a repair. Otherwise, engine trouble is on the horizon soon.

Ahaynes81

Jan 2, 2019
Truck Year
Both or either. One thing issue. Stop operating and start a repair. Otherwise, engine trouble is on the horizon soon.
I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said everything was fine that the black stuff I saw in the coolant reservoir was made by the purple coolant and they saw no signs of oil in the coolant and the oil cooler was working fine. I'm thinking of maybe taking it to the other dodge dealership across town.

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
If no oil, all is fine. Oil and coolant don't mix. You put coolant in the oil and goodbye bearings.

Hope the dealer is right. One thing you can do is take off the cap ( easier if a teeny bit warm) and stick your finger in to see if you can get any oil residue visible.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said everything was fine that the black stuff I saw in the coolant reservoir was made by the purple coolant and they saw no signs of oil in the coolant and the oil cooler was working fine. I'm thinking of maybe taking it to the other dodge dealership across town.

good call

Ahaynes81

Jan 2, 2019
Truck Year
Update on the oil In coolant problem. Got the truck back from the dealer yesterday they said everything was fine the checked the coolant out and found no traces of oil in the coolant. I checked my self and sure as shit the coolant was like new mind you this is the same coolant that was in the truck when I bought the truck in NOVEMBER. I'm still not happy with the dealer as they had my truck for a day and a half and could not wash the damn thing for me!? We had a rare snow storm blow through Albuquerque. Also I know I bought the truck as is but i was doing my own little inspection on the truck this morning and decided to check the air filter, thing was filthy and almost black! So I guess dodge (larry h miller) doesn't inspect their vehicles before putting them on the lot for sale. One up side to looking under the hood I did find out I have a plug so I can plug it in of it gets any colder.