• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Laramie in MN

DFD

May 8, 2016
Truck Year
Hello,

I just picked up my new Laramie and I am quickly learning about my first diesel. Unfortunately, there is a mandated minimum bio diesel blend of 10% here in MN starting now. I'm curious if others have run bio diesel. Are there additives I should consider?

Thanks

DFD

May 8, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks BoostN. I'll keep reading and learning. Hope the diesel choice was a good one

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Also in mn, the ecodiesel has been good to me. I just passed a year old last week and just turned 29k today. I use Lucas oil most fills but I can't tell you the difference. I fill up at Holiday virtually every time with their seasonal blend I've had no issues though the winter was mild.

Definitely use the winter front right when it starts getting cold enough to do so.

I know bp states that within seasonal capabilities they will be blending Bio from 5 to 20 I think maybe 15. I had the pamphlet a while back.

I don't know anything of Minnesota mandating b10 but b5-b10 is commonplace anyways. Bio is actually good for the engine there is more lubricity in the fuel.

The book states that you can run b20 without any change in Services and it's capable of running up to b30 or 35 but at the expense of shorter oil change intervals if I recall. It's been a while since I looked so closely in the book. And fuel Filters obviously differ in life intervals with high Bio content; regardless of which, draining periodically prolongs life of the filter.

DFD

May 8, 2016
Truck Year
Hello JDN, thanks for the info. My first diesel so I'm learning as I go. I found this article on the MN biodiesel mandating a minimum of B10. Apparently a big topic that had me concerned but no choice here. As you say, I'm hoping it is actually a better fuel. My 2016 manual does call for more frequent oil changes at 8k miles or 6 Months and filters at 20K or every year when running B6-20. I just turned 1200 miles and love the avg 25 MPG. I get an occasional whiff of diesel or DEF but I think it's mostly in my head!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Hello JDN, thanks for the info. My first diesel so I'm learning as I go. I found this article on the MN biodiesel mandating a minimum of B10. Apparently a big topic that had me concerned but no choice here. As you say, I'm hoping it is actually a better fuel. My 2016 manual does call for more frequent oil changes at 8k miles or 6 Months and filters at 20K or every year when running B6-20. I just turned 1200 miles and love the avg 25 MPG. I get an occasional whiff of diesel or DEF but I think it's mostly in my head!
Yeah if you spend a lot of time running around town and the soot content in the exhaust gets high you can smell the DEF burning off in the exhaust as it wants to do a regen. I'm in a very small town so my everyday errands promote no highway time and very little full temp time so occasionally I get a forced regen by the truck,

As far as oil and fuel filter changes, remember to drain your fuel filter on occasion. It's a simple task but it removes sediments from the housing. And a bit finicky to do with the factory drain because the canister gets airlocked opening a small drain at the bottom with no upper vent unless you crack loose the whole housing. And make sure you prime the fuel system after draining.

I change my oil between 7 and 8k and I drain the fuel filter at one and replace it at the other. Not a very troublesome task. There's a lot of room. And you just place an icecream pail or the lower half of any gallon size container which rests in the propshaft tunnel right below the filter.

Also there's a solid brass drain plug available from Geno's garage that comes completely out allowing the housing to drain much easier if you find it worth the hassle to switch.

Was my first diesel as well, you learn a lot and there's a lot to read up on on the forums.