• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shafto

Aug 22, 2019
Truck Year
Hello, I just joined now. I haven't joined a forum until now. I'm a senior citizen and have recently purchased a 2019 Ram Limited eco diesel. It has less than 5000 kilos and have already taken it in twice to regenerate the exhaust filter. I am told by the dealer that this is normal. Just running around town I find I need to take it down the highway at least once or twice a week as the exhaust filter reaches 90%. Am I getting sold a bill of goods by the dealer?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! The dealer is correct in this case. You need to drive a good bit weekly at highway speeds to allow the DPF to heat up and burn out the matter that's built up during your city driving.

Hope you enjoy it here, we've got plenty of information for you to read up on!

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Should have waited and purchased a 2020 new engine new egr and propyl no problems how many miles r on this 2019 they have not been out that long

Shafto

Aug 22, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for the welcome. There are 4800km on it now.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
your truck will regen about 2-3 x per week with a stock tune on it's own behind the scenes, but with short drives, what's happening is that it takes about 5-10 min just to heat the DPF up to temps for the regen to actually start, then another 7-10 min for a regen to complete the cycle, and if you're doing a lot of short drives, you never hit the ideal conditions so there's a lot of failed attempts. Not your fault, there's no way of you knowing without the information at your fingertips)...

Regens are trigged at 66% soot levels, but if the conditions are not ideal, or you shut it down, etc, the regen is cancelled until the next trigger point either 70 or 80%, and again, 90% or DEALER at 100%. If you're getting messages to see the dealer, that says you're not reaching the ideal temps due to short drives... (not your fault, how would you know without knowing what's going on behind the scenes).

You might want to consider buying yourself a little OBDII scanner that you can plug in, and if you have an android phone, you can get an app called torque pro and programme in the codes to tell you when the truck is going into regen or not. There are better devices if you want to spend more.

Once you know when your truck is trying to regen, you might want to keep driving and let it do it's work, but if you don't know it's trying, it's very easy to shut the truck down and lost another regen attempt, over and over until it is so choked up, you have to visit the dealer.

Here's the sequence:

66% soot levels - REGEN attempt should kick in, on torque pro, levels jump to 100% (during a regen)
DPF temps will slowly rise from around 600F until it gets to 1300F for a few min steady. At that point, REGEN turns ON and the cycle begins and maintains temp until the cycle is over.
At the end, REGEN switches OFF, and DPF temps drop.
Soot levels after a regen are around 8.6%

Here's what I see with torque pro:
DURING A REGEN:

Screenshot_20190820-112430.png

AFTER A REGEN (notice DPF is still in cool down state)...

Screenshot_20190820-112737.png