• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New owner. 2016 Ram Lone Star with overheating issues

Vense

Jul 10, 2017
Truck Year
Well just getting my feet wet with the Ecodiesel. 28,000 on her with overheating issue at highway speeds in Dallas Texas.
It's at the dealer,they are unable to reinact the issue. I'm waiting to see what they find.Still troubleshooting to find the cause.
Plus I didn't mess around had it towed in.
A little background on me, 32 year experience Mechanic. Mostly on heavy equipment. Being it's a warranty issue and I'm not certified in the eyes of Dodge. I found one issue in my area. The lack of available diesel mechanics at the dealership level. So if anyone has dealt with this in the past. I would like to pass it on to the dealer tech, before he starves.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome!

Some dealers have great diesel mechanics, others not so much. Hopefully they will find your issue. I'm assuming you're not pulling anything when it's overheating?

David Sales

May 5, 2017
Truck Year
I have a 15 Eco and it will sometimes overheat pulling a 32 foot travel trailer. I have found that I needed to slow the rig down to around 65mph to cool it back down. Seems to happen when we are pulling up hill.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a 15 Eco and it will sometimes overheat pulling a 32 foot travel trailer. I have found that I needed to slow the rig down to around 65mph to cool it back down. Seems to happen when we are pulling up hill.

How much weight are you pulling?

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Is it your transmission and or engine? Plus do you have the tow package with better cooling capacity for the transmission?

David Sales

May 5, 2017
Truck Year
Is it your transmission and or engine? Plus do you have the tow package with better cooling capacity for the transmission?
It doesn't have the "heavy duty" tow package I.E.: tow mirrors and breaking controller, however it does have the receiver hitch and 7 pin trailer plug.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
That is way higher than what you would want. Under package 28v on my rig is a "max cooling System". Salesman said it was tranny and extra engine cooling capacity. Who knows what it is???? 228 is as high as my coolant has gotten the last load I pulled. 7k 75mph 200 miles!

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Call Banks Performance. Gale Banks has done ALot of work with this motor for the military. I am sure they will have a way to cool her down. But Ram needs to fix the issue first. She seems to run a lot warmer than average!

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
Did much serious towing with same 7000 lbs range recently. Continental divide, several Southern Rocky Mt passes. Highest engine oil temp 271 going up grade. Highest trans temp 286. Ambient temp low 100s. Slowed down rpms, tow/haul activated, let computer shift - truck did great. She never let us down. Temps always came back down. I have 28v package in 14 Eco. 56k total mileage. Truck mods include - Michellin 285/75/20s. Front suspension 2" level; air bag rear suspension for load leveling. Cheers, Capt Tim

David Sales

May 5, 2017
Truck Year
That is way higher than what you would want. Under package 28v on my rig is a "max cooling System". Salesman said it was tranny and extra engine cooling capacity. Who knows what it is???? 228 is as high as my coolant has gotten the last load I pulled. 7k 75mph 200 miles!
I never got above 70mph because the temp was going up way too much, so I backed it down. It could be because the outside temps were in the high 90s and it was midday. I towed the camper from NTX down to Junction TX, approx 350 miles one way. On the way back I watched the temps closer and speeds were kept under 70mph.