• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to Diesel Ownership

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Long time Jeep off Roader and needed a Truck, While I am waiting IF FCA is ever going to put a diesel into the Jeep I decided to buy a used 2016 RAM 1500 with the EcoDiesel that is suppose to be in the same engine as whats going in the jeep. Look forward to learning a lot as this is the first diesel I have personally own. Hope it last me a while, I am a little apprehensive at this point but got my fingers crossed.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Congrats, you will love it until you hate it. Odds are in your favor that you got a good one, but it’s still a long term gamble.

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Congrats, you will love it until you hate it. Odds are in your favor that you got a good one, but it’s still a long term gamble.
Sounds ominous, I know they had a lot of issues early on, but I thought its been pretty good in the last few years. Supposedly this is on the 10 best engines list ever. I know that just probably as much hype as bs, but it was like a popular mechanics and engineers pick. I hope its a good one......

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sounds ominous, I know they had a lot of issues early on, but I thought its been pretty good in the last few years. Supposedly this is on the 10 best engines list ever. I know that just probably as much hype as bs, but it was like a popular mechanics and engineers pick. I hope its a good one......

It's no where near a "top motor", that's for sure. To many failures reported.

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
It's no where near a "top motor", that's for sure. To many failures reported.
Do you have a thread of actual failures? Failures to me means the motors had to be replaced/Swapped, Service Issues means it required maintenance repairs at the dealer. Which are you seeing the most?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Do you have a thread of actual failures? Failures to me means the motors had to be replaced/Swapped, Service Issues means it required maintenance repairs at the dealer. Which are you seeing the most?
I don't have one single thread, but a quick look on the forums you'll see quite a bit of failures mentioned. I know @John and @TC Diesel have posted hard data numbers, so I'll let them chime in with those.

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Just so you know I had a complete failure of a 3.8L V6 in my 2007 Jeep Rubicon, because the Cooling fan seized up on the highway and never triggered a Over Temp Warning, but did get high enough to blow out a little known O Ring causing all the coolant to go into the crank case or most of it out of the radiator. So since this was first time is a long time I took this jeep on a road trip I though maybe it just leaked out and checked all clamps and replaced the fluid. Next day about 3/4 through the day of offroading the engine stalled and would not start, finally got it started and limped it back to my sons house and then to his dealer, to find out the crank case was full of the antifreeze and of coursed thinned out the oil and killed all the crank bearings. *Rebuild motor at 88000 and $5000 later not counting the $500 to get the jeep home to my dealer and car rental home. So yeah I understand the difference.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Nobody except for FCA has real figures, but based on extensive research by some of the experts and individuals with FCA contacts the failure rate is very high. It seems to be in the 5-8% range. I am referring to engine replacements.

FCA has admitted to an average of 215/month at one point in time.

Members have posted weekly engine demand rates and they are alarming.

All we can do is hope we got a good one and even with the high failure rate chances are good that yours won't fail.

Attachments

• FCA Email Bearing Failure Calibration.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 1

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Nobody except for FCA has real figures, but based on extensive research by some of the experts and individuals with FCA contacts the failure rate is very high. It seems to be in the 5-8% range. I am referring to engine replacements.

FCA has admitted to an average of 215/month at one point in time.

Members have posted weekly engine demand rates and they are alarming.

All we can do is hope we got a good one and even with the high failure rate chances are good that yours won't fail.
You are right that does seem a little high for out right failures, I wonder what years did they have the most trouble, near the start with slowly getting better or up and down over the years.

John

Nov 13, 2015
No changes have been made to the engine to increase reliability. The oil spec was changed as mentioned in the FCA email. It may or may not have helped. It's more than a little high :) probably 1000X industry standard.

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
If you don't mind me asking since you mentioned it, What was changed on the oil spec, so I know when I need to change it?

John

Nov 13, 2015
If you don't mind me asking since you mentioned it, What was changed on the oil spec, so I know when I need to change it?
FCA states

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

The change interval stays at 10,000 miles up to 5% biodiesel.

JohnnyMac

May 19, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome and the odds are way in your favor that you got a great motor. Enjoy the awesome MPG's and drivability of this little oil burner. Not sure how many miles you got on it, but if it takes a dump, it's got a good warranty.

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Welcome and the odds are way in your favor that you got a great motor. Enjoy the awesome MPG's and drivability of this little oil burner. Not sure how many miles you got on it, but if it takes a dump, it's got a good warranty.
Its got 124K on the od, I got the extra warranty until 225K just in case.