• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to diesel

John l

Jun 23, 2017
Truck Year
So this being my first diesel motor what should I know.
Do I need additives? Is there anything I should be doing between scheduled services?
I've read a lot of the negative posts and want to avoid adding to them

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
So this being my first diesel motor what should I know.
Do I need additives? Is there anything I should be doing between scheduled services?
I've read a lot of the negative posts and want to avoid adding to them
John I, I may have answered some of your questions in another forum, but will reply here as well. I recommend and use a diesel oil stabilizer additive at the same time that I use a high quality full synthetic CJ-4 standard diesel engine oil. Research and pick a quality product available in your area. I also recommend and use a diesel fuel additive at each oil change. Again research and pick a quality product available in your area. I have experience with AMSOIL, BG, Power Service products, several posters on different threads name the products that they use.
I bought a 2014 used in 2016 with 20K miles on it for what I thought was a good price, I now have 47K miles plus on it. I have not done a "tune", may do it later, did get Extended Warranty insurance from MOPAR, did change dealers from the one I bought it from due to technical and service knowledge. Now back up to 25 mpg highway. These are very technical engines, with suspect regulator compromises pushed by EPA. But aren't all vehicles that way? If you do not have several long haul, hour or two long, trips in your driving pattern I would recommend an Oil Analysis at 5K and at oil change to confirm or deny your Additive levels and Fuel Dilution levels. I would recommend not using the dealer for oil changes unless you can confirm the type of oil used. The oil is key.
Good luck and enjoy. This truck has not meet the trailer that it did not like, but I do not tow a lot, it has not had a road trip that it did not enjoy, those I do a lot of, only four wheeled in snow, my wife won't let me take it off road, Laramie/Longhorn Limited go figure.

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
John I, I may have answered some of your questions in another forum, but will reply here as well. I recommend and use a diesel oil stabilizer additive at the same time that I use a high quality full synthetic CJ-4 standard diesel engine oil. Research and pick a quality product available in your area. I also recommend and use a diesel fuel additive at each oil change. Again research and pick a quality product available in your area. I have experience with AMSOIL, BG, Power Service products, several posters on different threads name the products that they use.
I bought a 2014 used in 2016 with 20K miles on it for what I thought was a good price, I now have 47K miles plus on it. I have not done a "tune", may do it later, did get Extended Warranty insurance from MOPAR, did change dealers from the one I bought it from due to technical and service knowledge. Now back up to 25 mpg highway. These are very technical engines, with suspect regulator compromises pushed by EPA. But aren't all vehicles that way? If you do not have several long haul, hour or two long, trips in your driving pattern I would recommend an Oil Analysis at 5K and at oil change to confirm or deny your Additive levels and Fuel Dilution levels. I would recommend not using the dealer for oil changes unless you can confirm the type of oil used. The oil is key.
Good luck and enjoy. This truck has not meet the trailer that it did not like, but I do not tow a lot, it has not had a road trip that it did not enjoy, those I do a lot of, only four wheeled in snow, my wife won't let me take it off road, Laramie/Longhorn Limited go figure.

Thanks GearHead, I too am new to everyday diesel driving (2016 Laramie, 12K miles). You say to add a diesel oil stabilizer at oil changes but why do you only add a diesel fuel additive at the oil change. Shouldn't it be used more often that the oil additive?
Great Info post here, Thanks, Mike

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks GearHead, I too am new to everyday diesel driving (2016 Laramie, 12K miles). You say to add a diesel oil stabilizer at oil changes but why do you only add a diesel fuel additive at the oil change. Shouldn't it be used more often that the oil additive?
Great Info post here, Thanks, Mike
Well lets think about it for a minute. You cannot completely control your drive cycles or the weather so I recommend oil stabilizer at each oil change, for protection against not only fuel but moisture and acids. However if you are starting with a new clean engine and injection system why do we need to clean it at each tank of fuel? If we use a maintenance type fuel system cleaner we only need to use it at the oil change intervals to clean any deposits that may have built up during the oil change cycle. If, as some claim, we need to use a fuel system cleaner constantly then maybe we need to analyze or fuel filter and fuel supplier. Does it make a little more sense now?
So take my vehicle. I used a very aggressive fuel system cleaner when I purchased the vehicle, 20K miles that I had no control of, and then use a maintenance type fuel additive there after. Enjoy the new truck.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I would like to offer my opinion to the original poster even though I feel like I am taking a huge risk with offering a conflicting opinion on this forum.

My opinion is based on the latest revision of the printed owners manual. If anyone wants to bicker please don't since I will not reply Thanks.

I don't have a tune yet but will probably get one some time down the road.

I do use a fuel additive (stanadyne performance) every tank. Not for the purpose of cleaning but for additional lubricity and improving cetane. Is it necessary? probably not but surely won't do any harm. The manufacturer says fuel additives aren't necessary except in extreme cold or when using 5% or greater biodiesel. Around my way many of the fuels contain up to 10% biodiesel so check your local pump. There's no warning saying not to use the fuel additive.

The owners manual specifically states not to use any oil additives so I don't.

This is what the owners manual says about oil additives

Materials Added To Engine Oil
The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition
of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to
the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its
performance may be impaired by supplemental additives.

Just so I don't have to post again here's what the manual says about fuel additives

• Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary
for the proper operation of your diesel engine.

Biodiesel fuel has inherent limitations which require that
you understand and adhere to the following requirements
if you use blends of Biodiesel between 6% and 20%
(B6–B20). There are no unique restrictions for the use of
B5.

Biodiesel Fuel Properties — Low Ambient
Temperatures
Biodiesel fuel may gel or solidify at low ambient temperatures,
which may pose problems for both storage and
operation. Precautions can be necessary at low ambient
temperatures, such as storing the fuel in a heated building
or a heated storage tank, or using cold temperature
additives.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I would like to offer my opinion to the original poster even though I feel like I am taking a huge risk with offering a conflicting opinion on this forum.

My opinion is based on the latest revision of the printed owners manual. If anyone wants to bicker please don't since I will not reply Thanks.

I don't have a tune yet but will probably get one some time down the road.

I do use a fuel additive (stanadyne performance) every tank. Not for the purpose of cleaning but for additional lubricity and improving cetane. Is it necessary? probably not but surely won't do any harm. The manufacturer says fuel additives aren't necessary except in extreme cold or when using 5% or greater biodiesel. Around my way many of the fuels contain up to 10% biodiesel so check your local pump. There's no warning saying not to use the fuel additive.

The owners manual specifically states not to use any oil additives so I don't.

This is what the owners manual says about oil additives

Materials Added To Engine Oil
The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition
of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to
the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its

Just so I don't have to post again here's what the manual says about fuel additives

• Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary
for the proper operation of your diesel engine.

Biodiesel fuel has inherent limitations which require that
you understand and adhere to the following requirements
if you use blends of Biodiesel between 6% and 20%
(B6–B20). There are no unique restrictions for the use of
B5.

Biodiesel Fuel Properties — Low Ambient
Temperatures
Biodiesel fuel may gel or solidify at low ambient temperatures,
which may pose problems for both storage and
operation. Precautions can be necessary at low ambient
temperatures, such as storing the fuel in a heated building
or a heated storage tank, or using cold temperature
additives.
Excellent! You categorically state that you use a fuel additive and state that you do not use oil additive and then quote the owners manual that states not to use either! Not wanting to appear smug or snubbing your post, by all means use, or not use additive products as you see fit, which is why I do not specifically name a product, I also like that it is your opinion. My opinion, based on experience, is as I have stated and I feel perfectly fine if you, or any of my customers, do not follow my opinion or recommendations.
I will agree the only reason to use a fuel additive on a per tank full basis is one that is primarily designed as a lubricant, sulfur acts as a lubricant and is now no longer present, or a cetane booster.
So still friends?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

If anyone wants to bicker please don't since I will not reply Thanks.

Call it what you want John, but stating your opinion and not welcoming comments or opinions is not what a forum is about. I applaud @GearHead for keeping it clean.

So, lets keep it that way.

A nice ADULT debate benefits all us.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Excellent! You categorically state that you use a fuel additive and state that you do not use oil additive and then quote the owners manual that states not to use either! Not wanting to appear smug or snubbing your post, by all means use, or not use additive products as you see fit, which is why I do not specifically name a product, I also like that it is your opinion. My opinion, based on experience, is as I have stated and I feel perfectly fine if you, or any of my customers, do not follow my opinion or recommendations.
I will agree the only reason to use a fuel additive on a per tank full basis is one that is primarily designed as a lubricant, sulfur acts as a lubricant and is now no longer present, or a cetane booster.
So still friends?

Always were and will be friends even though we share different opinions. You are not the one I was referring to when I mentioned bickering.

To clarify my previous post, the manufacturer states " Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary
for the proper operation of your diesel engine." and "The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition
of any additives
(other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its

There's a big difference in the wording.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Call it what you want John, but stating your opinion and not welcoming comments or opinions is not what a forum is about. I applaud @GearHead for keeping it clean.

So, lets keep it that way.

A nice ADULT debate benefits all us.

Jeff, that's not at all what i said.
I said " If anyone wants to bicker please don't since I will not reply Thanks." I do not welcome bickering and won't reply to it. I always welcome opinions and comments presented in a diplomatic manner. I very much enjoy healthy debate and continue to learn from it.
Offering my opinion here at times has become very frustrating when I'm immediately attacked by a certain member.
Thanks for your efforts here at the forum.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Always were and will be friends even though we share different opinions. You are not the one I was referring to when I mentioned bickering.

To clarify my previous post, the manufacturer states " Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary
for the proper operation of your diesel engine." and "The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition
of any additives
(other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its

There's a big difference in the wording.
Thanks, good to know we are still on a handshake basis.
So the manufacturer(s) have since recorded time recommended against using fuel or oil additives. I can reference certain British motorcycle and automobile manufacturers shop and owners manuals. After discussions with Corporate Engineering and legal eagle types I have learned that the reason they do that is because they do not test their engines using anything but non adulterated fuel and oil, hence they cannot warranty performance of any commercial additives, and it would be prohibitively expensive to do so. However the quality Commercially available additive companies do spend large amounts of money testing their products in various engines and thus warranty their product for compatibility. Hence my recommendation to investigate and use a quality product, available in your location. Now I do need to clarify a point of my opinion. Fuel additive. I use a fuel system CLEANER at oil change, because I am concerned with carbon and soot build up on my injector tip. You use fuel system Lubricant, and some products blend both, to compensate for lubricity. Since Sulfur has been removed this is an issue except the newer injection pumps are designed to not depend on fuel as a lubricant, with that being said if I am dealing with a pre-2006 engine I definitely recommend a fuel additive that provides lubrication.
Now you have made a driving decision that suits your comfort level and I have expressed my professional opinion and recommendations based upon my experience and if you were my customer asking me the same question that started this post, we would both part happy, and hopefully you would return to me to replace your injectors or EGR cooler, valve job, etc.
Hey have a great day it is raining here in Oklahoma and I am stilling waiting to get to cutting some of my damaged trees from three storms ago.

John

Nov 13, 2015
GearHead, I agree with what you are saying. Lucas, for example has a good oil additive in my opinion although I personally don't use it in my ecodiesel. I do use the Lucas Diesel Deep Clean in my fuel every 10K miles in lieu of the performance additive. We all have our own opinions and I respect others when represented as opinion. Some members believe their opinion to be factual just because they think they are always correct. This is what rubs me the wrong way. I have no issue whatsoever with the way you communicate on this forum. If I ever did have an issue I would be the first one to bury the hatchet.