• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to RAM and new to diesel

Bill Fraley

Dec 1, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I picked up a 2018 Ram Laramie EcoDiesel four days ago. I have always driven Ford trucks but the half-ton diesel with Ford is hard to find on anything less than a 65K truck. It is only available on the Lariat and higher trim. The Lariat model is at 47k base but you will never find a diesel one at that price. I always do year end clearance purchases on vehicles so it has to be on the lot for the big incentives. All the trucks near me were King Ranch or Platinum and at 65K+. The RAM I bought was stickered at 56k but with incentives and employee discount(brother works for Chrysler) I got it for just under 40k.

I have already ordered the bypass cable to be able to use AlfaODB. I was a heavy Forscan user and appreciate being able to reconfigure things. The first things I will use it for is to enable DRL and Remote Start.

My first impressions with the RAM are that the seats are much more comfortable and the interior is trimmed much nicer than the '17 XLT I was driving. Uconnect is also lights years better than Sync3. Especially the Android Auto implementation. I like the taller display as well.

One of the biggest complaints with the current F150s is the rear axle likes to jump out over bumps. The factory rear shocks made it worse so I replaced them with Bilstein. It helped tremendously but still liked to jump a bit sometimes. With the RAM this is a non-issue altogether. The RAM drives so much nicer it's amazing. Of course, the cost of this is payload and towing, but the EcoDiesel will easily pull my Keystone Passport Ultra Lite RV without going near the max payload or max towing weight limits.

I originally just wanted to test drive an EcoDiesel so I could compare to the Ford small Power Stroke. I never expected to like the RAM at all. The interior finishes and the amount of features on the RAM for the price is what really sold me. I hope it wasn't a mistake, but I am feeling positive about the decision.