• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil By Pass System

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Oil Analysis. Here my last 2 years.
If I understand your oil analysis report correctly you are changing you oil approximately every 4000 miles?

If so, would it be cleaner with an oil bypass filter? It would be great to have data with and without a bypass filter to see the difference.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If I understand your oil analysis report correctly you are changing you oil approximately every 4000 miles?

If so, would it be cleaner with an oil bypass filter? It would be great to have data with and without a bypass filter to see the difference.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
No. Samples are taken correctly with engine warm Via Fumoto Valve 4-6K Miles..... Service at 10-12K Miles,Just to share how accurately they are taken.. I did NOT wipe the Fumoto clean with Brake cleaner before the sample was taken (1 time) and the Sodium was higher BC of the residual salt form the road. Blackstone records are not as precise as My MOA records.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
It is my goal to protect my engine. FCA tells me putting a bypass filter on it will void the warranty. I don't see why it would or why FCA would not have their own bypass system you can add on. Keeping the oil clean should be in their best interest.

I hate knowing the egr gas is being returned to the engine with all that soot. I contemplated the GDE tune but again I have to surrender my warranty. Because of the concern I had about the possible issues with this truck I purchased an extended warranty from FCA for 8yr 125,000 mile bumper to bumper.

Does anyone know things I can do that will mitigate the egr issues, the dirty oil issues and not void my warranty. I assumed I could put install the Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter System and if I had to go to the dealership I would go through the trouble of taking it off. I was also intending on sending oil samples to Amsoil to have them tested as well.

It is frustrating. All I want is to be proactive and extend the life of my engine.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
As I understand, TC Diesel samples his oil approximately every 4,000 miles to see how it is doing and to stop issues early on. If no issues the oil is not changed until 10,000 miles. This means one is sampling their oil twice before an oil change. Oil testing is a good thing but it seems like a substitute to having cleaner oil over the long haul.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
How would you know that your oil is clean W/O sampling? Are you putting trust into the marketing of the Auxiliary system W/O testing to see if performs according to advertised? Like I mentioned earlier The system will extend life ONLY **** If **** the engine is within Spec's & tolerance's

chrisr938

Jan 2, 2018
Truck Year
It is my goal to protect my engine. FCA tells me putting a bypass filter on it will void the warranty. I don't see why it would or why FCA would not have their own bypass system you can add on. Keeping the oil clean should be in their best interest.

I hate knowing the egr gas is being returned to the engine with all that soot. I contemplated the GDE tune but again I have to surrender my warranty. Because of the concern I had about the possible issues with this truck I purchased an extended warranty from FCA for 8yr 125,000 mile bumper to bumper.

Does anyone know things I can do that will mitigate the egr issues, the dirty oil issues and not void my warranty. I assumed I could put install the Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter System and if I had to go to the dealership I would go through the trouble of taking it off. I was also intending on sending oil samples to Amsoil to have them tested as well.

It is frustrating. All I want is to be proactive and extend the life of my engine.

You can get a second ECU to be tuned, and then reinstall the stock unit when you go to the dealer. It’s an extra $650 from GDE.

John

Nov 13, 2015
1 OA is inclusive, Calcium 1737 that's the highest I've ever seen(Or remember) MAG 12 ,Moly 11 If that was My Lube I would be draining it before I typed how PO I was... In long term ownership No bypass system was going to extend any Diesel running that lube over long periods.. And With CAL that high any coolant leak into the crank case is going to be abrasive , High CAL and coolant = immediate wear with window Block or Knock. And Here's the real kicker when that coolant reaches your additional OIL filter it will destroy it in short order just like the OE filter. And again NO bypass is going to indicate oil contamination EVER.

I don't think Calcium, Magnesium, or Molybdenum was the issue. Summary here:

Calcium 1737 UA=1569
Magnesium 12 UA=74
Molybdenum 11 UA=24

Clearly the following was the concern especially aluminum and Silver at 3X the universal average. Iron ain't nothing to shake a stick at either.

Aluminum 21 UA=6
Iron 49 UA=34
Silver 6 UA=2

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
You can get a second ECU to be tuned, and then reinstall the stock unit when you go to the dealer. It’s an extra $650 from GDE.
My concern is the dealer will be able to find out through lack of data points on Regen & extra that the ECU has not been in the vehicle very long.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk