• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil Bypass System

RollCoal843

Jun 6, 2018
Truck Year
I am looking to install a bypass filtration system on my 2017 EcoDiesel, and am looking for some advice as to where to pull oil from. I have seen a couple threads mentioning an Allen plug in the passenger side cylinder head, but am having a heck of a time finding it. I am looking for some guidance as to where it is and what size it is, or if there are other options that people have had better luck with.

I am planning on using an Amsoil system, I have had them on previous trucks (5.9 Cummins) and had good results.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I installed the Amsoil universal system on my 2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. To find the pressure port on right side of cylinder head remove the air intake box completely. Once that is removed look for hex plug towards front of cylinder head. The Amsoil kit comes with a 90 degree elbow that will screw right into the pressure port. I made a custom bracket to mount to frame to carry the by-pass filter. The whole set up works great and my oil is clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
I installed the Amsoil universal system on my 2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. To find the pressure port on right side of cylinder head remove the air intake box completely. Once that is removed look for hex plug towards front of cylinder head. The Amsoil kit comes with a 90 degree elbow that will screw right into the pressure port. I made a custom bracket to mount to frame to carry the by-pass filter. The whole set up works great and my oil is clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Any pics of your install? Like the mount, and the pressure port on the block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Attached are the pics I took. I was not sure how modifying the oil cap would work so I bought an extra one. After milling down the raised turning level to be flush with the oil cap I drilled the required hole. As a precaution, I used goop on the outside of the cap but really did not need it. I fabricated the bracket and bolted it to an existing hole in the frame that also is used for the towing hooks. The bracket allows the oil filter to be raised up into an empty area the radiator so it will be protected. The bracket also has a 1" extension that prevents from turning either up or down thus the need for only one bolt. Finally, to get to the pressure port on rightr side of head I had to take off the air filter assembly & box. The dip stick is bolted to the head and the hex nut is recessed and back behind it about an inch or two. I wanted a set-up so I could remove it if I had to take it to the dealership for warranty work without a lot of effort. I hope the pics help.

Attachments

• 20180731_084856.jpg
    20180731_084856.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 20180731_084907.jpg
    20180731_084907.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180731_085043.jpg
    20180731_085043.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180731_085240.jpg
    20180731_085240.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 134

RollCoal843

Jun 6, 2018
Truck Year
DWalker, thanks. The pictures are real helpful. How far have you gone on it, and have you done an analysis?

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
I purchased my 2017 Ram Laramie Truck back in February. I did my first oil change at 3,500 miles. After my second oil change at 9,000 miles I then put on the oil bypass filter system on and installed Amsoil Signature Series 5w - 40w oil. It took 12 quarts! I have only put another 1,000 miles on the truck so I am a ways away from doing an oil analysis. At 16,000 miles I plan on sending a sample to Amsoil. I will know then how good the oil is and whether is should be changed. According to Amsoil, my oil life should be extended twice that of what the manufacturer recommends but not to exceed 25,000 miles. We will see.

Tblazer123

Apr 7, 2019
Truck Year
Insane Diesel is coming out with a kit that will have a custom oil filter cap with a swivel pressure port. They also have a custom filler cap to make an easy installation. I would prefer to use the amsoil filter so I plan on using the custom filter cap and the custom filler cap with the Amsoil single remote bypass system I bought a few years ago.

Here is a photo of the oil filler cap.

m1a1armor

Aug 13, 2019
Truck Year
Insane Diesel is coming out with a kit that will have a custom oil filter cap with a swivel pressure port. They also have a custom filler cap to make an easy installation. I would prefer to use the amsoil filter so I plan on using the custom filter cap and the custom filler cap with the Amsoil single remote bypass system I bought a few years ago.

Here is a photo of the oil filler cap.
View attachment 2046
I looked at that set up. I bought the Frantz Oil Bypass for $299. The Filler cap and Filter cap is like $280 from insane diesel. I havent installed mine yet, got it yesterday, trying to figure out exactly how I want to install it on my 2017.

jimmyday

Oct 27, 2018
Truck Year
I looked at that set up. I bought the Frantz Oil Bypass for $299. The Filler cap and Filter cap is like $280 from insane diesel. I havent installed mine yet, got it yesterday, trying to figure out exactly how I want to install it on my 2017.

Were you able to install it ? The Insane Diesel set up is $620 so I would like to know how te Franz set up worked out.