• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil change

R4L

Jun 15, 2021
Truck Year
I’ve read a lot of complaints about cost of oil changes at the shop. Not necessarily on this forum but others. I’m new to the ED but have always done the oil changes in my Hemi. Question: Is there something that makes it harder on the ED? What oil and filter do you run? Planning on doing my first oil change this week. 2017 Laramie 4x4. Thanks

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Not harder, shops love to take advantage of a diesel, and up charge for it. Everything you need to know about oil changes:

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
Easiest vehicle I’ve ever had to change oil. I use Rotella T6 5/40. I use the Mopar oil filter. Make sure you get the updated one. I also put on a fumoto quick valve instead of the drain plug. No need to jack up the truck. Slide under and open the valve. So easy.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Like Ironcity said, the Eco is the easiest oil change of any vehicle I have owned, and I've owned several in my 86 years. There's a couple of things important, such as let it drain for a while as oil flow through the Eco is very slow.

Mopar # 68229402AA filter or a quality equivalent
10.5 quarts Shell Rotella T-6, Full Synthetic, 5w-40 or a quality equivalent
FCA changed to Shell Rotella T-6, 5w-40 (5th Edition Diesel Supplement, 7/2016)
Replace drain plug with a Fumato F106N Drain Valve - 14mm-1.5

Drain oil for 20 minutes to be sure all is drained.
Install Fumato valve and filter.
Replace oil, wait 20 minutes, then start the motor for 1 minute and shut off.
Wait another 10 min then check the oil for proper fill level.

EVIC Oil Life Reset.
On confirm screen, scroll up or down to get “OK” screen. Do not push “Confirm”.
Scroll up or down to get “OK” on the center window. Then push to confirm.

Easy Peasy

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
Like Ironcity said, the Eco is the easiest oil change of any vehicle I have owned, and I've owned several in my 86 years. There's a couple of things important, such as let it drain for a while as oil flow through the Eco is very slow.

EVIC Oil Life Reset.

Easy Peasy
And one thing I would add is to make sure the engine is at least warm. The oil drains much faster since it does drain so slow.

tlbaldwin

Jul 9, 2021
Truck Year
I went to my dealership and got a quote on what it would be for an oil change. They wanted to charge me over $300!! I told them no. Went to a local shop that I am familiar with and I pay under $100 for oil change and tire rotation. The dealership told me it was an upcharge because the oil filter was bigger....yeah not entirely accurate. May be but not by over $200. Call around to see if there are any shops that are familiar with EDs.

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
Hey

EVIC Oil Life Reset.

Easy Peasy
John,

would the Fumoto F106SX valve work for our trucks? it appears to be an updated version of the F106N, and has a rotating 90 degree angle valve. That way you can set it to point down.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Hey

John,

would the Fumoto F106SX valve work for our trucks? it appears to be an updated version of the F106N, and has a rotating 90 degree angle valve. That way you can set it to point down.
I am not familiar with it, all my valves drop straight down. F106 is the right number for our thread size, so it should work. Not sure if I would buy one as the rotating feature could be a leaker, but Fumato has a great reputation for quality so it shouldn't be a problem.

I can see the demand for it as so many think they'll breakoff the strait down model, especially off-roading.. I have never heard of that happening.

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
Yeah I started researching the F106SX valve and there are some people who say it leaks, but the biggest complaint was the small nipple size and the hose popping off. I forgot that our drain plug is straight down. I don't do any off-roading so I think I'll go with the F106N. I'd like to put a small hose on the valve when draining so when it gets to the slow steady stream the wind won't blow the stream around.